Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

fender vs. vox modeling

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by crizzly_bear, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Illinois

Thank goodness! And I mean that in the nicest way. I really wish that it was possible, not sure why they couldn't have figured out how to do it. I've spent quite sometime messing with the amp and reading through different forums to see if it was possible.

2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    For me it doesn't matter because i'm not concerned with which comes first, delay or reverb as long as they are AFTER the amp which of course by default they are. And as long as all stomps are before the amp, which also by default they are. So i have no reason to need the ability to configure that or i would have already known it wasn't possible. In fact, i see no reason to even have fuse. Even firmware updates can be done w/o it. I was looking at the mustang as a ting practice amp for kicks when i bought one, and was going to buy the I. Thank god someone told me the LCD was worth the extra size and money, as i now see having to use fuse would have been crippling for me. Plus i had no idea i would come to like it so much, so a 100 watt 1-12 was a good idea because i have since replaced my tubes for this combo !

3. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    Hey that's cool Mad Kiwi… tube amps are much loved by many, for good and valid reasons.

Funny you mentioned this thing about modelling amps "sounding good yesterday and for some reason bad today." Prior to my Mustang III, I've only used one other modelling amp - all my other amps before that are non-modeller transistor or tube amps.

Like you, I actually don't like the strange 'what's going on behind the oven?' feel of modelling amps and was just about ready to give up on them for good until I stumbled across the Mustang III.

Even though I know that the Mustang III sounds outstanding, it too exhibited this weird tonal variance that I've noticed in my limited experience with modellers. What intrigued me was this tone-shift is unpredictable - sometimes it doesn't happen, sometimes it does. At the time I thought it was temperature or humidity messing with the little electronic lemmings hard at work in the amp (or in my ears)! :lol:

-

For you other Mustang lovers out there, if your emotional gauge is as sensitive as mine that you notice cosmic variances around you :D the fix for this modeller anomaly is quite simple. I don't know if this works for all modelling amps, but I found it to be the case on my M3 and my previous modeller amp.

After all your presets have been sorted out and saved in which ever channels you've selected - switch your amp off. Then turn all the knobs to 7 with the exception on the master volume of course. I tried all the knobs on zero and on 10, but I found 7 to be fuller and richer in tone. All knobs on 5 sounds good too, but I like 7 better.

If you keep all the knobs on 7, all your presets will sound the same every day of the week, rain or shine, happy or sad mood! Of course you can change the knob positions when you need to adjust a preset, but once you save the preset - revert all the knobs back to 7 as a playback default. Obviously the true knob settings of each individual preset are as you programmed it to be, (even though the external knobs are all on 7). What this does is take away the subtle tonal unpredictability - because I discovered that different "idle" knob positions can 'colour' the preset tone from one day to the next.

Of course, this is internet pop science so YMMV and all that. :twisted:
    If you've never encountered this tonal shift anomaly in a modeller before, just ignore everything you've just read. :D

4. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Holic

Dec 28, 2007
    Australia
    I have the vox vt50 from a few years back, sounds really nice. I really like it but as others have said it lacks the features most modelling amps today provide.

5. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Thats normal and you will find it will happen more and more the longer you've been at it. As i have played longer and longer and my ears became more tweaked i hear a lot of things that in the past were too subtle for me to hear. And the phenom you mentioned becomes worse and worse, but NOT with just modelers....all amps and gear I'm not sure why you seem to notice it only with your modeler, but i'm quite sure what you are hearing isn't the controls being set differently. Just to be sure i tested mine and theres no difference. But i may pick the guitar up in 5 minutes and without having changes a single knob and now it sounds a lot different.

What really fine tuned me to this phenomenon is building tube amps. I mainly have build a few versions of basically the same amp but spent almost a decade spending more time tweaking them than you'd believe if i told you. I experienced what you speak of in uncountable ways which led me to tweak and retweak so many things i went thru probably a dozen turret boards in that time from wearing them out with soldering and resoldering. But anyways, you'd have to stand in my shoes to see what i'm saying, but the point is the thing you speak about long ago became very obvious to me as nothing more than the player and his ears changing from minute to minute even. The one thing i DON'T know and never will is what exactly causes us to hear things differently one minute to the next. Whether it's 100% mental or maybe a physical chemical change. No idea. What i do know is it's something that you begin to realize after many years of playing and at some point i think most people, especially those who spend a lot of time experimenting with gear to get the best tone, will come to realize it's not the gear....it's them.

I won't assure you that the knobs on the mustang can't cause what you say. It's possible i suppose, tho it didn't happen on mine. But if i had to wager i'd wager it's what i described.

6. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    Sugar!! :lol:

[​IMG]

Neo: I'm not the One??

Oracle: I'm sorry, kiddo, I really am. You have a good amp, and I hate giving good people bad news.
    Here, take a cookie. I promise, by the time you're done eating it, you're amp will sound right again.

:D

7. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles

Thats would be the description of the MIII. :D

8. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    It's not something I've ever noticed with all the various Peavey Transtube amps I've owned through the years. Didn't notice it on my Roland Cube 60 either… just on my Mustang III and Line6 modellers.

You'll notice that Mad Kiwi is also from New Zealand, same as me. The voltage we have here is 230v at 50 hertz, so it may have something to do with that affecting the compound programmable circuitry beneath modeller amp knobs originally designed for 110v 60 hertz (just speculating under my tin foil hat). :) It would be interesting to find out if other kiwi and aussie modelling amp owners can chime in with their experiences with strange tonal variances.

Perhaps there's something in our water supply! Either that or the ozone layer hole directly above, has fried our brains unbeknown to us, lol. :cool:

9. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Hmmm....thats possible i suppose. Could be the difference in the average voltage leans further to one extreme for you guys with export transformers than here.

10. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2014
    Chicago
    Well, Shane from intheblues is from Australia, and creates Mustang presets with a direct amp to amp comparison in his basement studio has not reported such issues.

11. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

I think its more a human condition than an electrical one but who knows...:)

Strangely since joining the band "Jesse Wilde and the Drive" I have focused more on playing the past 2 years and stick to one ( more or less) preset on my RP1000 through whatever amp is flavour of the month and don't seem to suffer from this phenomena anymore....

Then again I mostly only use it as a pedal board these days, with amp modelling turned off......

I played a Mustang III the other day, quite nice but then I ended up shagging around with presets again!!!

I wonder if it is just that because there are other options built in, the human condition forever thinks hmmm, nice but could it be better if I tweak this XXXX or this xxxx....

12. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Take comfort in knowing that what you have now sounds better than other amps that cost over 2x the price :)

It's true that, the more you have, the more to tweak with.
    This beats the heck out of being limited in tones by other amps :)

13. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon
    I've got three or four presets on my Mustang III that I play most of the time. About the only tweaking I do now is to switch effects on and off.

The Mustang III has resulted in me playing more, not less.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014

14. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan

15. speedy mcfeely

speedy mcfeely Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2008
    Chico Ca
    I really like the MIII. I don't have one because my two gigs are church and a trio. I use an electric and acoustic. My set up is a Pod HD500x and a powered monitor. I go direct to FOH and have a monitor to hear myself. Works swimmingly. I love my tone now, more than I ever have.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.