Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

fender vs. vox modeling

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by crizzly_bear, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Illinois
    Lol I also had a super champ x2... For one night! The clean channel sounded great! The modeling side was ok. I returned it when I realized there was no headphone jack. Dummy move on my part for not realizing that before hand, but it was a deal breaker, ordered the MIII the next day and couldn't be happier with that choice. The x2 is similar to the M1 & 2 with that you have to use fuse edit your sounds. And it was much more limited than the Mustangs.

2. crizzly_bear

crizzly_bear Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2013
    Vermont
    How was fuse more limited?

3. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Illinois

Don't remember exactly. There were things that were grayed out. Sorry man, you'll have to look that up to get the details. If this is any indication of the limits if the X2, look at what footswitches each can use.

X2 - one button to change between clean and modeled channel.

M3 - two button, 4 button, and an expression pedal. All are configurable for different things.

4. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    I've owned the Mustang 1 and 2 and now have an older Superchamp XD that I prefer over either of them by a long shot. Ive never owned the Mustang 3 but imagine the bigger cab would make a big difference and since I didn't like hooking mine up to a computer the onboard editing would be a plus

5. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2004
    Indiana
    I'll keep my older Valvetronix Blues ;)

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Pepi I've got one of those also, and it's not going anywhere. It's a great amp. But the Mustang is gonna do the summer gigs, while the Vox 60Vt will stay in the basement

7. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have a Vox VT20+ and honestly it has never given me any issues and I have never seen one in a store with issues, as when I try out a guitar or pedal I try it out on one of these because a lot of stores have them and I know the tone. Also, the Vox really does have nice effects and clean/overdriven tones. The Mustangs are tweak-able and apparently more reliable, but the best IMHO are the Vibro and Super Champ XD's and X2's. They just sound great even though they have a more limited tonal pallet.

8. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2006
    Framingham, MA
    My only experience with Vox modelers is the first-gen AD60VTH head that I used for years in a Beatles cover band. It was great - really good amp models and effects. I played it through a 2x12 cab and it did everything I could ask and sounded fabulous. I still have it but haven't played it lately. In my current band, I use a Mustang III, which is much more portable and also sounds great. We have limited space to rehearse and the small size and 100 watts really fits that requirement. I have had no problems of any kind with either amp. Please note that I am not a major tweaker - I tend to find or create 4 or 5 patches I like and use those on all of our songs, so I'm not using everything that either amp has to offer. One other thing: to my ears, Vox does a better Fender sound than Fender does Vox.

9. crizzly_bear

Dec 11, 2013
    Vermont
    Do people run any pedals through modeling amps or not because of all the on board effects?

10. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I've run pedals through my Valvetronix amps. Just because of my preference for this OD or that fuzz, whatever.

11. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    I use a Zoom MFX pedal, with both my SCXD and simple all tube amps. I mainly use the MFX pedal for Tape Echo, Tremolo and EQ. I use the amp models for a foot switchable overdrive. The effects are much better than the SCXD's on-board effects. Plus, I refuse to use a computer to adjust an amp. I've been a working musician for the past 14 years. I need to rely on my equipment. I'll use the SCXD effects, when giving guitar lessons. I try to use the same equipment, that my students use. When I gig with the SCXD, I use the clean channel, with my Zoom MFX pedal. The SCXD's effects are there, as a backup, if my pedal beaks.

12. crizzly_bear

Dec 11, 2013
    Vermont
    Jeez guys you're making it really hard not to buy a mustang right now :p

13. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Crizzly I bought one having never played one, just based on all the support they get here.
    That's how much I trust these bozos' collective opinion

14. crizzly_bear

Dec 11, 2013
    Vermont
    How comforting

15. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    I run my basic pedal board into my Mustang III v2 no worries. I use a dedicated clean preset that I have configured specifically for this purpose and my pedals (chorus, overdrive, passive volume) respond very well.

I also have other presets using selected in-built Mustang effects (all these effects are on-off foot switchable with an MS4 which you have to buy separately). Mustang III comes standard with a MS2 two button footswitch. I use that if I want to just switch up and down channels. You also have the option to use both the MS4 and the MS2 and user-configure that to do all sorts of things, if you have the headspace for it.

16. crizzly_bear

Dec 11, 2013
    Vermont
    Great info, thank you!
    What are the important distinctions in everyone's opinion between mustang II and III, and is the III worth the extra 130 dollars?

17. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    I actually considered getting the 40 watt Mustang II at first - but went with my gut-feeling and decided to go for the III... and I'm glad I did.

Distinctions:
    1) My biggest concern with the M3 was being 100watts it would be overkill for smaller venues where I mostly play and for home practice. But I need not have worried. The 100watt M3 is very well mannered even at low volumes at home but comes into its own as an awesome gigging amp. That extra wattage 'headroom' doesn't only translate to louder volumes IF needed, but for some reason gives a fuller, richer sound than the M2.
    2) The M2 has a generic 12" speaker and a closed cabinet. The M3 has a Celestion 12" speaker and on open-back cabinet. There is a noticeable difference in sound quality favouring the M3.
    3) The M3 has an LCD screen that makes menu-diving very easy and straightforward when making and saving presets directly from the amp.
    4) The M3 can take the 2-button footswitch, the 4-bottom footswitch, and the EXP-1 Expression Pedal - on their own or all of them at the same time.
    5) The M3 has a line-out feed if you want to connect to the sound desk/PA system.

The speaker and cabinet alone are well worth the extra dollars IMHO…

Here's the Fender link "which amp is for you…"
    http://www.fender.com/en-NZ/series/mustang/

18. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

I just wanted to add a view from a different perspective...

I haven't played a mustang amp but my experience with ANY of the Valvetronix and most other modelling amps is that the sounds are similar to the modelled amp....I just have really not enjoyed the blanket over the speaker and digital artifacts that is also there.

I came in to guitar playing just as Line 6 released the Pod, and Flextone series amps...I had both for many years...and persevered with digital amps/modelling for many years ( I am a computer guy so the flexibility made sense to me...)

Because friends of mine owned a music store I have tried almost every modelling amp and pedal over the past 10 years (ecludign the higher end stuff) bought some, sold them very quickly and have ended up with a couple of good value non modelling amps AND a Digitech RP1000...although the RP 300,500 and 1000 series are all similar.

The quality of the RP modelling is miles ahead of the vox, Boss GT series and line 6 stuff IMO.

The quality of the RP is not as good as the pc software like Amplitube and so on.

I ended up buying an ac30 for gigs etc and at home use a marshall class 5 and Ibanez TS15 (crunch/distortion and a nice clean via the TS amp) and using the RP for effects. I do use the RP with Amp sims at home with headphones or for specific "artist" sounds...

Quick summary ... Overall I have been disappointed with Modelling amps...and would recommend a nice tube amp instead.....you can get so much for so little nowadays if you go used.

A Multi pedal in front gives you the same flexibility but with a nicer "foundation" sound to begin with...

AND the biggest thing, no more spending HOURS and hours fiddling around trying to get a good sound or correcting a sound that sounded good yesterday but for some reason sounds bad today!

YMMV. :lol:

19. crizzly_bear

Dec 11, 2013
    Vermont
    Thank you for the perspective :)
    But I already own 2 tube amps, a little bugera v5 and peavey valveking. I love tube tone and overdrive and the fender clean sounds from the peavey. Call me crazy but I actually enjoy amps with lots of tweakability, which is why modeling amps always intriged me. As I said above I used to have a 15 watt line 6 spider, and that was awful. But seeing how far digital amps have come in just a few short years and listening to demoes and reading rave reviews, its hard for me not to want to give em another shot. Ive been looking for a 3rd amp to fill the gap between whisper quiet 5 watt and gigable 50 watt tube powerhouse. The features of the Mustang appeal to me and having so many different tones sounds fun to experiment with as a fun, not too serious amp.

20. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    crizzly you may as well jump in, the water's great. it's just a matter of time until you do, and you'll be happy you did once it happens!

My suggestion, watch the used GC inventory site. I got mine there, $224 shipped, like brand new, and it came with both the 2 and the 4 footswitch

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.