Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

fender vs. vox modeling

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by crizzly_bear, Jun 24, 2014.

1. crizzly_bear

crizzly_bear Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2013
    Vermont
    Hey everyone, I know these two companies are widely regarded as making the best digital modeling amps around. If I wanted one, which would you suggest? Mustang or vt? What do they do well or not so well in comparison to each other?

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    The CURRENT Vox VT+ series sucks , imo. Horrible hissing digital "snare" noise artifacts. Also they break. I bought two and both died within a week. It's a real shame because the old ones were great.

The current Fender Mustang series stuff is awesome. And the FUSE site, where you can find and download presets that other users have created, is very very cool.

As a long-term VOX Valvetronix fan, I say get a Fender Mustang

3. crizzly_bear

Dec 11, 2013
    Vermont
    Yeah thats my digital amp hesitation, if they break there isnt much one can do to fix them. But I cant decide is FUSE is something I'd love or ignore.

4. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Well, check it out...this is a link to presets people have made.

https://fuse.fender.com/mustang/presets/

I as of yet have not even plugged my Mustang into my computer, but I hear that's where the real fun begins

5. crizzly_bear

Dec 11, 2013
    Vermont
    Seems like every preset is a fender clean or metal preset ;P but that looks awesome. How do I know which version or Mustang I II or III or whatever I should look at?

6. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    There is no such consensus that Fender and Vox are the best. Plenty of people will tell you the Peavey Vypers are, lots of others will say the Roland Cubes are and Line 6 sells tons. Everybody likes different sounds, you need to hear them and decide what sounds best to you.

7. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    The Vox amp sims on the (older) Valvetronix series are very, very good.

The Fender sims on the Mustangs are very very good.

Both also do a good job at the other, also, but it only stands to reason they excel at their "own" sounds.

Marshall and other hi gain sounds are good on each, but this is where these two modelers shine, IMO

8. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Just compare the specs to decide what is best for you.

9. crizzly_bear

Dec 11, 2013
    Vermont
    I realize that, I just meant most people seem to have either vox or fender ones that I talk to. The blackstar ID series looks good also. I was just asking what people think mustangs and vts do differently from one another

10. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Hmmmmm,... from what I read on here & other places, seems like the Mustangs are becoming the consensus favorite. At least by guys & gals that do not already own the PVypers, Cubes and L6s...?

Try out the others mentioned, if possible and then try the Mustang (M3 (v1 or v2) or M4). You'll understand why they are the best selling amps they make. Price + sounds + features + reliability + company rep = #1.

11. glenmore92

glenmore92 TDPRI Member

May 19, 2014
    Scotland
    I own both a valvetronic 20+ and a mustang 1 v2. The mustang I bought recently and the vox about 3 years ago. The vox has more mods and effects and something like 99 presets. It is a good amp and worth buying, but to me is too complex. I spent lots of time tweaking and saving various sounds and channels. Also visiting the forums and copying other players settings. Then a couple of weeks later promptly forgot what was what. Probably and age thing. If I had to score it out of 10 I'd give it a 7. The mustang has less complexity but a far greater range, with a great clean sound and a spectacular overdriven bluesy sound. The mod effects are less, one area where the vox outshines it's rival. But the mustang combined with the fuse software prompts me to vote it an 8+. The vox has been reliable and a good workhorse. If I had to choose only one it would be the mustang.

12. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I've loved my Vox AD30VT for years now, it's perhaps the greatest living room amp I could ever hope to own. (The 10" speaker is too bright at higher volumes for me, but that's another discussion.) I'll probably keep it till it finally breaks, since the resale on these is really low. (They're really a bargain used.)

I've had a few encounters with the Fender Mustangs and really like what I've heard. Given the lousy rep on the newer Vox VT+ series, I'd go for a Mustang these days... one with a 12" speaker.

13. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I used to consider the Vox AD30VT the best amp EVER, all things considered.

(Tone, versatility, portability, and value)

I think I'd hand that title to the Fender Mustang III, now.

I mean, at only a couple weeks, I know it's still honeymoon phase, but, wow

14. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Illinois
    I had a Vox VT30 a couple years ago. I loved it for what it was. Currently have a Mustang I and III.

Vox pros - easy to get a useable sound. Effects sounded good. No digging through menus to find stuff. If you like simple, this is for you, just knobs. No PC needed.

Vox Cons - limited choices on the fx. Hard to set tempo on time based effects. No PC support at all. No online community downloads. There's a community, but it's a picture of the knobs and you need to match their picture.

MI pros - lightweight, sounds kinda ok with it's junky 8" speaker. Can hook up to fuse and download a bazillion different sounds. Great PC interface for tweaking patches. Can record direct to PC through USB.

MI cons - user interface on the amp itself is absolutely terrible. MUST hook up to PC to set your patches.

MIII pros - LCD interface provides access to nearly all parameters. Decent 12" speaker with open back cab sound great! 2 button footswitch included. Again, PC support is there and is a really great way to setup patches. Fuse community is great for downloading patches. Can hook up a 4 button switch and an expression pedal.

MIII cons - easy to get a bad sound. Some of the effects are a little over the top or add something really bad to the sound. It can take some time to get a patch just right. Have to use Fuse to change effects from stomps to rack. The rack effects tend to sound better. Once you figure it out, it's totally worth it. Lots of great tones in this box.

15. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    On the Mustang, I've got to say that out of the box, most of the factory presets suck.

You've got to find a few that you use as a base to creating your own (or download from the fuse site, which I've not done yet, but I'm assuming it's not difficult)

16. crizzly_bear

Dec 11, 2013
    Vermont
    Thats par for the course in most model amps though, right? My only digital amp experience so far is a line 6 spider II 15 watt guy. Even as my first amp it was so miserably awful. So maybe most factory presets are better now

17. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I doubt it. It's like they make these things to impress 14 year old kids.

The cool thing is that with the fuse thing, you can find and download presets made by people who actually know what they are doing, and do it very well.

"Shane's" presets come to mind, lots of TDPRI-ers have used and loved his presets, and just yesterday someone posted a live clip on this site of them using a Dumble preset that they downloaded off fuse, and tweaked a little, that sounded just great

18. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Illinois
    Some of the presets on the M3 just need to have the fx toned down or off. Some actually sound good once you get the amp up to a certain volume. That 12 really isn't working or sounding all that good until about 3 or 4 on the master volume.

19. crizzly_bear

Dec 11, 2013
    Vermont
    How does the super champ xd or x2 compare to mustangs?

20. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Anyone who I've heard comparing the two, the mustangs came out on top

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.