Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Vintage Tuners won’t fit in my Baja neck?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by MrHamburger, Jan 2, 2018.

1. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    I purchased Kluson vintage tuners for a MIM classic series neck. The bushings fit but a few were ever so slighty loose. A couple went in somewhat tight. Never really changed tuners before so wasn't sure how "exact" they're supposed to be. I sured them up with little strips of aluminum foil on the upper side of the bushing. Sticky foil tape would probably work better as other folks seem to use.

2. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I used some wet paper to fit some loose bushings in an Allparts headstock. Worked great. I heard this trick a long time ago, and remembered as I was assembling. The paper kinda acts more like a glue than foil.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

3. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

Jun 16, 2008
    London UK
    It all seems to have been covered but to sum up...
    The tuners on a Baja are made by Ping Wells in Taiwan.
    They have 6mm diameter posts and 9.2mm headstock holes.
    Gotoh SD91 have 6.35mm posts and come with both 8.7mm and 9.2mm bushes and a bush removal tool. (Not the Allparts own packaged versions - only the Gotoh packaged model)
    The Gotohs should have everything you need to switch the tuners without needing to modify the headstock holes or buy additional bushes.

MrHamburger and LutherBurger like this.

4. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Thank you. I never measured the ODs of the two sets of bushings that came with mine. All I knew about them until now was that they were smaller than 10mm and one was shorter than the other.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

This is a clever move by Gotoh. I think I suggested here that they do this - glad to see they have a drop in "conversion" package now.

8 years ago, we'd sometimes replace the Pings (bush and all) with Gotohs plus 10.0 mm "conversion" but this meant reaming the MIM vintage tunered neck bores out from the 9.2 mm to 10.0 mm. The other choice was to replace the Pings with Wilkinsons, but one of the quality things I like about the Gotoh vintage tuner was how stout the tuned, split post was. The Wilkinson is a better machine (than the Ping) but it shares the skimpy post diameter with the Ping split it replaced.

I'll be blunt: I upgraded from the Pings to the Gotohs mostly for the feel of them, and the more expensive look of the Japan made machine. The Ping splits were once kindy sketchy, you know, 15 years ago, but they've improved. They're a B+ (and the Gotoh is an A+) and many players could care less and the Ping split would be fine for years.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018

6. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2014
    Portlandia
    They come with a removal tool? That would be excellent!

7. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2014
    Portlandia
    Tuners arrived today. Only one set of bushings, no removal tool.
    They look really nice though.
    I can’t remember how I got the bushings out of the last head stock that I converted.
    99% chance I rammed them with a blunt object until they popped out , haha.

8. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2014
    Portlandia
    I found this in an old thead. The science seems solid.

9. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2014
    Portlandia
    I got the Gotoh tuners. I just popped the old bushings and it looks like I have 9mm holes, measured with kalipers. The Gotoh bushings are 8.8. All the conversion sets I have seen are 10mm. This is so annoying haha.
    Good thing I still need to cut a custom pick guard and install the electronics so I have time to hunt.

10. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

Jun 16, 2008
    London UK
    Did you buy the Gotohs in Gotoh branded packaging? They have come with the 9.2mm bushes and tool since late 2016 at least.
    (I'm assuming you bought the standard SD91, not relic or magnum lock, neither which come with the extra bushes)
    http://axecaster.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/SD91_03.jpg
    http://www.axecaster.co.uk/images/SD91_04.jpg
    If you don't want to hunt for adapter bushes you can cut strips from a soda can to use as a sleeve - it makes a very solid connection to the headstock.
    http://axecaster.co.uk/blog/?p=832

11. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2014
    Portlandia
    Yes I purchased SD91-05M, they came brand new in package without the 9.2 mm bushings or tool.
    Maybe they only hook you up In the UK.
    I just did a search. One link lead me to a Reverb store based in the Uk and Axecaster.
    I guess you got to order them separately out here in the Wild West.

12. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

Jun 16, 2008
    London UK
    No, it's for all packaged Gotoh SDS510 and SD91 (non-relic). - earlier in the thread LutherBurger said he received two sets of bushes and he's in the US.
    Here's the announcement from Hosco in Sept 2016 - about halfway down the page (Hosco is one of the two official Japanese distributors of Gotoh products).
    http://www.hosco.co.jp/HOSCO_ENGLISH/news/201609/hosconews201609.html
    I can only assume you got old stock.

13. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2014
    Portlandia
    8A197690-7FAF-43BD-AC9D-2F3A65ACD63C.jpeg I guess I’ve been bushwhacked! Thanks for posting that 9.2 mm measurement. I was searching 9mm before and couldn’t find anything. (Grew up around led paint) I typed 9.2 mm and found them right away on the Fleabay. I noticed it was from the same vendor where I got the tuners off Fleaverb.
    Perhaps strange things afoot at the Circle K?
    Shucks, either way they will be here Friday and I can complete my new Tele.
    Be most excellent to each other.

LutherBurger likes this.

14. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Yes, I'm in New York and I got mine from the ebay seller "guitarhey", who is in Boston. The labeled cardboard insert in the clear plastic box was mostly gray, like this one:

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.