Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Vintage Tuners won’t fit in my Baja neck?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by MrHamburger, Jan 2, 2018.

1. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2014
    Portlandia
    I recently purchased a 2017 Baja neck. It came with the string tree & tuner ferrules, but no tuners.
    I had a new, unopened package of Fender Vintage tuning machines in my parts drawer so I decided to install them.
    It appears the ferrules are too small.
    Maybe a previous owner changed the ferrules?
    Possibly Fender uses or makes different size vintage tuners?
    I read the specs for the Baja from Sweetwater. It said they come with Fender/Ping Vintage tuners.
    I hope someone here has some knowledge.
    I’m still within the return window for the tuners. I would prefer to find a drop-in replacement rather than remove the old ferrules and bore out the holes.

2. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    Difference is metric to american very small tolerance of difference-but yes they -need to be retro fitted. The tuners in the guitar are solid- imho I would leave them in. So in short you have vintage sizing on unvintage sizing. Other then this I'm not sure there is much difference. :)

"It said they come with Fender/Ping"

I dont think Ping makes the vintage tuners- some debate about which is better etc.

3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    The Baja tuners if Ping are not the same as American Vintage tuners which are Gotoh tuners. If you change them the bushings may need to be changed.

DanDII likes this.
  4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    I had this issue using a Fender MIM replacement neck. I returned the Gotoh tuners I had bought for the project and found an eBay seller that supplies the correct spec Fender ping tuners for Fender MIM necks in a choice of chrome and nickel finish. They were perfect.

Let me know if you want link and I'll dig it out for you.

5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    If you want to keep the tuners, look for a new set of bushings with an ID of 0.25". I bought a set of Kluson-branded ones on eBay for less than $10 last year.

6. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2014
    Portlandia
    Please hit me with that link.

The head scratcher here is that the Baja necks come with vintage tuners, but the Fender branded tuners don’t fit.

I guess it’s another possibility that the neck is a fake. I’ll get out my calipers later and take some measurements.

7. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Tele-Meister

Sep 6, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    Wally likes this.
  8. rze99

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
  9. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2014
    Portlandia
    Thanks that’s helpful. The packaging for those looks the same as what my tuners came in.
    I’m definitely sending mine back. I looked up the original ad on Amazon and there isn’t any useful measurements under the product details.
    At least the Ebay ad has actual measurements of the tuners. It also states they will fit the classic series line. The measurements aren’t quite the same as what’s listed on the Fender site.
    I’m probably going to have to call Fender and talk to a person, ugh, haha.
    I’ve actually had really good experiences calling their customer support. Friendly, useful information & they don’t sound frustrated with all my stupid questions.
    I’ll report back with my findings.

10. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
  11. rze99

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Thanks for advising. I can't say I've noticed on this guitar .... but then I'm not sensitive to tuners particularly if they just work well.

12. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2014
    Portlandia
    It looks like the Gotoh SD91-05M should do the trick.
    I found a seller that actually listed relevant dimensions. The measurements match the numbers from the Fender site.
    Vintage size 11/32” bushings, 15-1 gear ratio.
    I had to search a lot of ads to find a listing containing relevant size info, so annoying.
    Thanks for the help guys.

13. LutherBurger

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Measure your tuner shafts and bushings again before you order.

I have a set of SD91-05M tuners, and the shaft diameter is 6.35mm. If your current tuner shafts don't fit into the bushings, which are likely 6mm, neither will they.

14. Dacious

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    If you have the choice and intend keeping the guitar long term use the Gotoh. The Pings and 'Klusons' are just OK IMO - notchier and probably won't live as long. The Gotohs are smoother and probably immortal.

DanDII and boris bubbanov like this.
  15. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2014
    Portlandia
    That’s what I’m thinking. I just called a Fender and they gave me part#0047912000 as the actual replacement part. Those are the made in Taiwan Ping tuners. I assume the name ‘Ping’ refers to the sound they make when tossed into the rubbish bin.
    I’m going to punt and go for the faithful Japanese Gotoh tuners.

Quinn23 likes this.
  16. Dacious

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    They're not terrible tuners, my friend has them on a Classic 50s Strat that's 10 years old and keeps tune - they just don't feel as nice or smooth as the Gotohs on my 65 AVRI Strat, even though they look just about identical. I used the green box 'Klusons' on the Tele Custom I built another friend and they're still good after ten years so they are an OK tuner.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  17. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    "They're not terrible tuners,"

Yeah they work just fine- I have one set I have been using with no issues. I think its somewhat the same with the Ping F locking. Are they as good as Schaller- probably not but they also work just fine. Then again the Gotoh probably not as good as Waverly either. :)

18. LutherBurger

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    EDIT: Never mind. You'll figure it out.

19. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2014
    Portlandia
    I read your original post, thanks for the warning.
    The Gotoh seemed decent and about the same price as the Fender tuners.
    If they don’t fit no biggy.
    I can’t wait to find out.

20. LutherBurger

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    The Gotohs should come with two sets of bushings. If one of the bushing sets fits the holes in your headstock, you're good to go. I had to buy conversion bushings for mine because the holes in my headstock are 10mm.

Don't be surprised if the Gotoh's are exactly the same as the Fender tuners you returned. Fender's "Pure Vintage" tuners are made by Gotoh.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.