Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Vintage Noiseless Tele Pot Values

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by knockeduptele, Nov 7, 2018.

1. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

Dec 15, 2017
    London
    We were putting a set of these Fender Noiseless Pickups on a Tele today and had some time to play around with Pot Values and the results were a little unexpected and very high values - I am wondering if anybody else has found the same with these particular pickups.

We started off with a fairly standard 250k/.047uf Tele Plate and the guitar felt a bit quiet and restrained, so we dropped the controls out completely and the thing just opened up and sang, a real whoaaa moment, so the mission was very clear, to build a control set that didn't choke that, so out came the big box of CTS pots (the beer came out later when we'd finished)

For the volume we ended up with a 1 Meg audio taper to effectively act as a no load and adding a parallel wired treble bleed additionally got the feel of the roll off just right - sure it gets a bit weird three quarters down but doesn't cut completely, but for playing, its not a place where rockers normally go (no subtlety there)

For Tone again we ended up with a 1 Meg Audio taper - loading wise there was only a marginal difference between that and 500k with with a .047 Black Bee, (.022 was ok but just didn't feel right at the higher pot values in control-ability terms) but the higher value, we felt, gave us more control for those "polite" gentle roll offs (a modicum of subtlety)

To me, the result, although perfect for the player who didn't want any extra switches or control jumps, and very nice sounding indeed, was unusual, but its the first time I have come across this particular pickup set and was unexpected.

Any similar findings?

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

My Deluxe Nashville came with Vintage Noiseless and 1meg pots.

I wasn't impressed with the neck pickup. I didn't mind the middle Strat pickup and the bridge.

Ended up having Rob@Cavalier make me a set of true single coils. Also switched the electronics.

3. knockeduptele

Dec 15, 2017
    London

Many thanks that's really useful to know as a starting point - if anybody else got these shipped on a new guitar please chip in as the web stuff on these is all a bit random.

I can understand changing them out, as to me even with old ears, the neck is a bit shrill, but possibly tame-able with a bit of resistor trimming (bit like a humbucker config in reverse almost) now we have opened it up. But this is one of those parts builds with a friend that starts off with "lets build another tele, i've got some pickups" so its an engineering challenge of getting it tweaked from a fixed starting point!

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  4. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Do you mean you just removed the control plate set up & the sound changed?

5. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    'Noiseless single coils' often have a much flatter resonant peak than typical vintage single coils, so a higher value pot can be used to compensate for that. The nice thing with the higher value pot setup is, you can always dial the resonant peak down with the tone control if things get a bit too peaky or shrill.

Derek Kiernan likes this.
  6. knockeduptele

Dec 15, 2017
    London
    Yip - 3 way switch and a jack socket - the ultimate no load, then add pots and caps to achieve the same result with both controls at 10 and introduce control

7. knockeduptele

Dec 15, 2017
    London
    I find the concept of trying to control the resonant peak of the pickup rather than roll off an interesting approach for tone. With a high value on the volume pot, and the way in which we implemented the treble bleed to gain smooth control of volume that is not available to us, but it is on the tone pot it is......

Session one with this was I guess all about trying to define the "no load point" which was surprisingly high, hence the thread to see what others have found - I suspect that session 2 will be about harnessing the neck pickup (you could cut cheese with it right now)

8. bender66

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Oh.

What I meant by my question was that it sounded different as soon as you unscrewed the control plate from the body, (pots/switch still intact)at least that's how I read your initial post.

As soon as you introduce a variable resistor it isn't going to sound like a pickup straight to jack though, correct? Not that my ears are ever gonna notice.

9. knockeduptele

Dec 15, 2017
    London
    Soldering irons and burnt fingers stuff :)

As soon as you put something in that path, its going to have an effect but the exercise that afternoon was to try and minimise that, and the next bit coming will be to find the right bits to make it nice which im sure will happen after my guy has torn everone's ears out at his next gig!

bender66 likes this.
  10. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

Dec 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
  11. bender66

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    My interest in this thread comes from owning Bill Lawrence Noiseless. Having read this thread initially I poked around videos/articles/comments what value people were using with theirs. I'm of the mind that I'm going to try 500k pots with them now.

12. knockeduptele

Dec 15, 2017
    London
    Interesting - This was kind of where we started with a std 250k plate, but dropping off the tone circuit was extreme which ruled out a no load on the tone circuit for those gentle roll offs which this particular player uses.

There is lots of conflicting info on these particular pickups, perhaps they need reigning in - hence 250k - certainly some of the install kits for Strats have come with 1 x 250 and 2 x 1M or perhaps there were lots of variants over the years

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.