Fender Vibrosonic Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by NateD81, May 25, 2019.

1. NateD81

NateD81 TDPRI Member

2. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

The seller doesn't know that "300W" is the input power, not the output power. Sounds like the speaker is on its way out, and doesn't mention any recent service. $600 sounds like a high mark. It's a Twin Reverb with a 15" speaker. Cool in my book. I wouldn't offer a penny over $500 if it were around here. I'm sure many would offer less because it is also a late '73 with Master Volume, and California is probably a market to get a better deal.

gridlock likes this.
  3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

300 Watts is just the AC input power. The amplifier has a nominal output power of 100 Watts and other than the speaker and baffle board is identical to a Twin Reverb of the same year.

I've never touched one, but I'd guess that the Cerwin Vega is not original to the amp. Older CVs have surrounds that tend to crumble over time.

If you try it out, it won't sound like it should due to the ratty surrounds. Assume it will need $200-300 worth of maintenance, like electrolytic capacitors, biasing, and tubes (no matter what has been replaced by the owner). If you can bargain the owner down at least $100 it might be worth it to you. Otherwise, I'd pass.

Other, smarter people will shortly provide additional opinions.

Edit: On eBay there's a "70s VR with a Cerwin Vega that is claimed to be original.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The seller's parents must have owned Cerwin Vega. He/she is also selling a cab loaded with an 18" Cerwin Vega.

5. NateD81

NateD81 TDPRI Member

Ok cool - thanks for the input, all!

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sounds like a good deal, though I don’t know about the CW speaker.
    If it behaves well (sounds good), grab it.

7. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

CV speakers are great, equivalent to EV, JBL, etc. If they are in good condition they should be considered an upgrade.
    Al

gridlock likes this.
  8. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Looks like a cool amp. I guess fairly rare. I’ve not seen one in person and I’ve been buying quite a few BF and SF Fenders combo amps for almost 10 years.

If you want it, ask less ($450-$475), you will need a new speaker ($150+ or preferred to get the CV reconed).

Probably cost you at least $300-$400 to get it in good-reliable condition.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Considering the market and the work that the amp has to have in addition to the fact that I am not an end buyer on that, if it came to me for $300 I buy it and put that much into while I hope to break even. If I were an end user, I might give $450 and have more in it than the market would bear after recapping, retuning, and replacing that speaker...but I would not care about the market. That could be a great amp IF a person wanted and needed a 100 watt amp....it is essentially a TR with a single 15” speaker. Put the effects on both channels, do a trick in the NFB, and revoice the Normal channel for a hotter Sonic with more midrange.
    It a person wants a great steelamp, recap with 2 x 220mfds in series for that first stage, reduce the input signal a bit and you have a great amp.....and do the Normal channel as above for guitar!!!, or hot lap steel!
    Okay, okay....I’ll give $330 for it. The market dictates what something ‘is worth’ unless a person has to have what something will do. If I had the amp and did what I would want to do and put a new 15”in there...or reconed that Cerw8n Vega with something other than a metal dust cover, I would want $800 for it to cover my expenses.....that is why I would only give $330. I am going to put some money into it...it is necessary.
    I would estimate $450+ in expense, maybe.

gridlock likes this.
  10. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Holic

I would try to get it for under $600 if possible. As Wally points out there are lots of tweaks that can be done to that amp. And I have seen them over the years with CV speakers in them. If I didn’t already have a ‘74 Twin and a Custom Vibrasonic, I would be interested.

Perfect excuse to get yourself a pedal steel! :twisted:

11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes, Fender did use CV speakers at that time. The Quad Reverb had four 16ohm CV PS 12's in them as an option. I have two that I bought as NOS and they are labeled Fender/Cerwin-Vega.

As mentioned, the Vibrosonic amps in the OP are popular among pedal steel players.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.