Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Vaporizer 2x10 Amp

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by TheDTrain, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I just bought one of these today from my local guy down the road. I really like that it's NOT as loud as my Blues Junior. I think it's a very nice noodling around the house amp. However, be very careful with it. My local guy has very little storage space, so he un-boxes everything and throws the boxes away. Well it was raining and he gave my a piece of plastic to protect the amp but two large raindrops hit the bottom inch of the grill cloth and that grill cloth is making contact with the baffle board and apparently the baffle board's black paint is water-soluble and now I have to big black stains on my brand new amp.

:(:(:(:neutral:

2. sulaco

sulaco Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    On the grille cloth? That can be replaced pretty easily. You can probably even remove that one (carefully pulling the staples out) and then wash it, staple it back on?

3. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon
    My daughter brought this catchy tune to my attention: Pumpin' Blood by NONONO. :) The keyboard and guitar are being run through the Vaporizer.

4. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Ohio
    Nice video, My only complaint with this amp is the reverb, I noticed there is alot of room in the amp for a bigger reverb tank...I wonder if you put a larger tank how would it sound?

5. Telepathist

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon
    Thanks.

Over in the NAD - Fender Vaporizer - Review discussion, dram56 just posted some interesting and useful sounding mods. Here is what he said about the reverb: "The reverb is finicky. Fender is using the Ruby 3eb2c1b tank with a JRC45600 Op Amp driver. Two issues here. From what I have been able to guess, Fender decided to insert the reverb signal after the first half of V1 12AX7 either before or after the tone stack. Then the signal goes to the second stage of V1, then onto V2 12AX7. This creates a LOT of noise (hiss). Bad design. Also, I have had issues with the inter-connect cable from the tank to the RCA jacks. Cheap cable is the source of some of the noise. A Tank bag would probably help isolate the reverb tank and improve performance also."

I like the way the amp is sounding and performing, so out of fear of it losing some of its mojo, I'm going to leave it stock for now:). The reverb is a bit on the noisy side but nothing I can't live with.

6. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Would it be possible to throw the reverb tank from my Blues Junior into the Vaporizer just to try without screwing anything up?

7. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    If it's the Ruby 3eb2c1b it should be fine, since it's listed as a drop-in replacement for the stock BJ tank

http://www.dmvelectronics.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=18

My Super 210 had the Accutronics 8eb2c1b as well, but I bought a 17" long Mod 9EB2C1B, which meets it specs (800 ohm input, 2,575 ohm output) and it's REALLY a step up. Smoother sound, and much more reverb available. The long Mod tank on 2 is like the short Accutronics tank on 6.

http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-RMOD-9EB2C1B

Here's the Accutronics 8eb2c1b on bottom and Mod 9EB2C1B on top, for comparison.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

8. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Ohio
    I have a feeling this amp will be a very modded amp in the communities, which to me is a great thing...it really is a good amp that could with alittle help be a great amp.

9. rickvox

rickvox Tele-Meister

Jan 17, 2014
    West Allis WI
    Telepathist where or what is the nad ?

10. Telepathist

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon

11. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2012
    Candler, FL
    NAD = New Amp Day

12. rickvox

rickvox Tele-Meister

Jan 17, 2014
    West Allis WI

13. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Fender is going to send me a replacement baffle board and cloth as soon as they get one in. So in the meantime, I pulled this one and removed the cloth which was not easy as the mystery wood is really brittle. I washed the cloth and of course not all the stuff came out. Since it's just cheap thin nylon cloth, I'm going to find something interesting at a fabric store tomorrow and recover it for now.

14. sulaco

sulaco Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    I bet a wheat grille like on tweed amps would look pretty nice.

15. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    That's what I was thinking, don't know if I can find anything remotely close to that locally, but I may order a piece from mojo or someplace. For right now I just want anything that doesn't look dirty. Going to seal the baffle with non -soluble paint as well, My hands were black with dye from pulling it apart.

16. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2010
    USA
    So even though the amp says 8 Ohm minimum 4 Ohms is ok? I thought minimum meant you can only do 8 or higher.

17. sulaco

sulaco Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Not the first time I've seen an amp labeled that way.

Have spoken to 2 different reputable sources (one being my wizard amp tech, the other Billm himself) who have confirmed tube amps can, in fact, handle 100% impedence mismatch up or down. Also not the first time I've done this.

If you can find record of a tube amp frying/blowing due to this, bravo. You'll find people claiming it's bad, but no one reporting it actually damaged their tube amp. It pushes the EL84's harder and generates more heat. Still runs a sight cooler than my blues junior and vibrolux.

18. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Ohio
    Here is a area I know nothing about, so correct me if I am off base.

If i bought a speaker 8 ohms my amp calls for a 16 ohm.. Cant I simply replace a resistor to make the 8 ohm a 16 ohm?

19. sulaco

sulaco Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Negative. Also, not wise to mix speakers with different impedance. Just be safe and get 2 16 ohm speakers. People have had good results with the Jensen C10Q and Eminence Legend 10516

20. Telepathist

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon
    Here's a little low volume strumming through my stock Vaporizer. The backing track I created on my Casio PX-350 is running through the Vape's Normal channel:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.