Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Vaporizer 2x10 Amp

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by TheDTrain, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickvox

rickvox Tele-Meister

Jan 17, 2014
    West Allis WI
    nasonm ,I didn't see any of what you mentioned on the Vaporizers coverings here in Milwaukee ,WI but there may be a few due to bad manufacturing control :(
    idjester I just use the tone dial (witch I love ,so easy to dial in a great sound) to control any harshness in tone . At lower volumes with single coil pickups I think for my ears the normal channel is best. My Gretsch with those filtrons (mini humbuckers)sounds best in the bright channel. I see this amp as being good small club amp where a louder amp like my 40 watt Fender Deluxe VM has to be turned down so low that it begins to sound lifeless and dull where the Vaporizer sounds more like you can push it and yet still not offend people in the bar and avoid the dreaded TURN IT DOWN! I think it is a very nice tool for that purpose!

2. sulaco

sulaco Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    I was fiddling around with mine while I wait on new speakers, and I put an ECC83S I found in a drawer into position V2 just to experiment.

I loved it so much I recorded it.

This is just stock USA strat into amp, amp volume on max, guitar on max, bright input with tone at 9oclock, reverb at max. No pedals. Varying levels of attack. I tend to dig in pretty hard.

3. rickvox

rickvox Tele-Meister

Jan 17, 2014
    West Allis WI

4. sulaco

sulaco Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    V2 is the preamp tube (the smaller tubes) is the small one in the middle

If looking at the back of the amp, standing behind it, from right to left:
    V1, V2, power tubes.

5. unclefred

unclefred Tele-Meister

Feb 17, 2014
    Oregon
    Hi guys, first post here! Rickvox, love those clips, it's cool with your wife, I wish mine played!

I do have a question: Has anyone compared the Vaporizer to the Excelsior? I don't have either around here at the moment to try out. From clips the Vaporizer sounds better but the Vaporizer clips are very limited at this point. The Vaporizer switch seems a bit useless.
    I do like the verb and I don't use trem very often.

6. rickvox

rickvox Tele-Meister

Jan 17, 2014
    West Allis WI
    I played both in the store for about an hour before I bought the Vaporizer . To my ears both were very good BUT Excelsior is clean almost all the way up on volume which is very good as I like clean,tremelo is very nice I like tremelo is good but with no speed adjustment for tremelo and for me I think you need speed adjustment to sinc to songs tempo. Also the killer for me no tone control only bright or dark switch(can be modded for tone control available on ebay kit) Vaporizer has more early breakup and again I don't like a lot of distortion but like a clean with just a touch of hair on it easily done on Vaporizer. The reverb is very old school which I love you can get a fifties sound early rock and roll and a very cool surf reverb just by turning it up all the way BUT the killer is the normal and the bright inputs perfect for single coils and bright for humbucking guitars .The deal breaker was for me the Tone control one dial that is SOOOO easy to get your sound. its not like a tone control on your guitar where it just gets bassy it really sounds like a mix of the eq band.The whole amp is so old school and simple and I really like it. It sounds great recorded with no muss or fuss plug in set the tone and reverb and play its just that easy.

7. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon
    In honor of The Beatles, here is an instrumental of "She Loves You" played through the Vaporizer:

8. unclefred

unclefred Tele-Meister

Feb 17, 2014
    Oregon
    Thanks for the respomse,The tone options are definitely better, I'm not sure I need this amp, having a 16 watt Palomino, but for some reason Im thinking it a fun back up.

9. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    Alright, Telepathist! That has a good bit of jangle to it. Nice Strat, too. That's one thing lacking from the Excelsior, that good bit of jangle. I put in EQ on there and it will jangle just dandy, but not straight /stock.

10. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon
    Thanks Tele Salivas.

I think I've already gotten my money's worth out of the Vaporizer. The rest is gravy.:)

11. unclefred

unclefred Tele-Meister

Feb 17, 2014
    Oregon
    So what do you think as a comparison with the scxd or x2? 15 watts and a good sounding ch.1, with added models. The single 10" isn't real appealing though.

12. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Ohio
    I had a scxd, and now a vaporizer...to me no comparison....i wouldnt take 2 scxd for 1 vaporizer.

13. sulaco

sulaco Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Agree on the superchamp comparison.

The modern superchamps are great little bedroom amps, or even for recording.

But in amp vs amp comparison, they're entirely different animals. Vaporizer is MUCH more raw, rock'n'roll, and sounds like 3x the amp. If you put the 2 side by side and cranked to max, the SCXD would sound like a bumble bee next to a V8. The 2x10 versus 1x10 difference alone makes a HUGE difference.

14. sulaco

sulaco Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    New speakers are installed (WGS G10C and Eminence Ragin Cajun) and the volume is MUCH improved. This thing is totally loud enough to gig. Breakup is better, smoother, more musical.

New speakers haven't broken in yet, though. Stock speakers got infinitely better as they broke in, though.

Have Pink Floyd - Meddle on repeat with all lower frequencies maxed in the EQ playing on repeat into the Vaporizer today to speed up break in process.

15. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Ohio
    I am getting ready to try some jj's and weber speakers right now.

16. rickvox

rickvox Tele-Meister

Jan 17, 2014
    West Allis WI
    Glad it worked out for you but I have a question Ragin Cajun is 8 ohm speaker how you make that work? Are you runing at 4ohms?

17. sulaco

sulaco Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Yes, both are 8 ohms running in 4 ohms together. No one had 16 ohm 10" speakers worth a damn in stock.

18. rickvox

rickvox Tele-Meister

Jan 17, 2014
    West Allis WI
    Dosn't that put a strain on transformer ? and I heard that running at 4 ohms doubles the power is that right! Thanks just want to learn all the tricks!

19. sulaco

sulaco Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    I made sure to ask someone much more educated on it, BillM himself.

He said tube amps can run with a 100% impedence mismatch in either direction with no problem. That means if you have an 8 ohm amp, you can run 4, 8, or 16 ohm. That's 100% above to 100% below.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.