Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender USA special Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by vishnu, Sep 1, 2017.

1. ehemmer

ehemmer TDPRI Member

May 2, 2012
    Iowa
    I have a 2009 in white that is my main guitar. I swapped the brass saddles with brass compensated saddles, but everything else is stock. When I was looking at Telecasters, the thing that made me choose this one is the vs the American Special is the 3-saddle bridge, the pickups, the lack of belly cut, and the overall feel. The things that I didn't like as much was the jumbo frets(little too big for me) and the gig bag. The pickups are stronger than most Telecasters I've tried, but a few adjustments on the amp can take care of it. The gig bag is also nice, and I have no fear taking it around, as my kids have done more damage than I have. For the money, it's a great guitar.

2. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    Yes, so the Texas Tele neck/CS Nocaster bridge combo would be hum-canceling in the middle position.

Most (if not all) Fender Tele neck p'ups are North polarity, so to achieve hum-canceling, a bridge p'up with South polarity is required.

To my knowledge (there may be more), Fender bridge pickups with South polarity are:

CS Texas Special
    CS Nocaster
    Tex-Mex

Hope this helps.

3. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    Just love my TSs, just saying .........

4. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2011
    scotland
    Guys.......you think these guitars could be described as modern/vintage teles?

blackguard look and barrels and so on but with modern features..22 frets...and so on...yeah?

asnarski likes this.

5. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Yes. Modern touches on a vintage style guitar. Vintage would be the bridge; pickups are a bit hotter - some like that, some don't; frets are the jumbo (already discussed), but they are really not much different from Medium-Jumbo frets on lots of other Teles.

American Special was on my short list when I got a Tele. Nice guitar all around. You should play one (as has been mentioned) if you can.

I would not get hung up on labels (modern/vintage) - this is just a different model with a few touches some players like.

6. unixfish

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Oops - I did not realize you were in Scotland. Playing / finding one may be tricky there?

7. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2011
    scotland
    ffs are you serious? :mad:

Yes we have Teles here and running water too.........

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Lefty Addams likes this.

8. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Meister

Aug 10, 2016
    SF Bay Area/California
    Amazing! Can't find a better deal with an American made Telecaster. There's others that beg to differ though. One thing to consider is it has a satin neck which I think feels better than a normal maple neck (less sticky). Check one out and give us your verdict!

9. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    Nice Tele, I notice you dont see many around for sale in the shops either.Lots of Pros and Elites but no Specials in the shops. On-line for sure but thats kinda odd to me. Perhaps they focus more on the higher end models with marketing but its sure noticable.

Personally I think its a killer Tele as its a nice combination of vintage and a touch of modern. Same with the Baja also imo.

10. unixfish

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Sorry - not what I meant. :oops:

Even here Stateside, you have trouble finding Bajas and American Specials unless you are in a large city and live by a busy Guitar Center. My thought was in Europe it would be even harder (importing and all that) and you may not be close to Glasgow or Edinburgh or some place where there would be better selection.

I've seen posts where people say "A [model X] Tele is hard to find in Europe..." and I was just repeating that sentiment.

It took me 2 years to find a Baja in Cleveland / Akron / Pittsburgh - sooooo...

11. Penguinchit

Penguinchit TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2017
    Minneapolis
    Great guitars. Mine is LPB and I swapped in some Callaham compensated saddles. One thing I hate though, is the tuning machines. What are they - 0.5:1? I'm upgrading mine to the Fender locking tuners that are 18:1.

ZackyDog likes this.

12. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2011
    scotland
    OK Bro :)

13. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    "Even here Stateside, you have trouble finding Bajas and American Specials unless you are in a large city and live by a busy Guitar Center"

Lol, in the "tri state area" I found one at Sam Ash natural/maple -board, and no Bajas. Might just be the time of year or area, but plenty of everything else.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.