Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender USA special Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by vishnu, Sep 1, 2017.

1. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2011
    scotland
    These have for some reason flown under my radar, until now that is......

They also tick all of my boxes....9.5 radius, jumbo frets,22 frets, headstock end truss rod, barrel bridge, black guard look, adjustable neck pick up.......oh boy

Question Peeps, are they as good as they look....wanna pipe in with your thoughts?

:)

Owensv likes this.

2. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2011
    Lansing, Michigan
    Owensv likes this.

3. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Meister

I'm no expert, but from what I've read on here* there is little love for jumbo frets and Texas Specials. It was on my shortlist, as I don't own a tele right now, but I'm going for a maple-necked Baja.

* I wouldn't necessarily read the NGD threads for info about these. First flush of ownership and nobody is going to chip in with a critique to take the wind out of their sails.

AxemanVR likes this.

4. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2011
    scotland

5. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2011
    scotland
    Hmmmm don't know ( little love ) if the Jumbo frets and Texas specials is true....I'd be surprised.....the thin frets on the 52 RI were a bummer for me.....perhaps some will pipe in

thanks all

Ripradiant likes this.

6. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    It's the old "you can't please everyone" conundrum...

Jumbo frets are great unless you press down really hard, which can cause intonation problems. But if you have a lighter touch, then they are great because you don't have to press down so hard... see the paradox?

As for pickups... if you enjoy a hotter sound the Texas Specials may be the ticket, but, if you need a cleaner tone they may be too dirty for this.

But even if you like them dirty that still doesn't mean they have the right kind of dirt for you.

Only you can answer those questions, and that's what makes it so difficult to give advice.

Otherwise, by most accounts the Specials appear to be a consistently well made product...

Good Luck!

'

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017

7. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

Sep 20, 2011
    Sacramento
    These are great guitars. I've had one for a while now and gig with it regularly. It is a well made instrument and has been very reliable for me. With new strings it intonates and stays in tune really well.

I wouldn't say there is little love for the gigantic frets and Texas specials either. Alot of folks like both. Alot don't. I did eventually change the pickups on mine, but again, CS Texas Specials are nice pickups and favorites among some folks.

The frets can be a problem if you have a heavy touch. I don't mind them. They make the neck feel a little beefier and bending on them is really effortless.

Owensv, Ripradiant and Randypttt like this.

8. kurtmanifest1

kurtmanifest1 Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2013
    Argentina
    I have the pre 2012 american special in 3 tone sunburst....the pickups and greasebucket tone circuit are not my cup of tea, everthing else is just great, jumbo frets are comfortable in my opinion although I prefer vintage or medium jumbo, it is a solid piece of wood, very well built, stays in tune. I´ve used it in live and studio situations and it delivered. Hope it helps

asnarski likes this.

9. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    Be edified. Read more. There's plenty of love for CS Texas Special's AND jumbo frets here!

Bottom Line: When it comes to pickups and fret size, the proof of the pudding is in the ears and fingers.

10. JustJJ

JustJJ TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Wisconsin
    I've had one for about seven years now. It's one of my main axes. Absolutely love it, and the only thing I've done to it was add a four way switch. Stays in tune better than any other guitar I've owned.

Ripradiant likes this.

11. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    Preach it, brother.

Ripradiant and Blue Bill like this.

12. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    I played one for a few minutes at GC once. I liked it. It was the first Tele I picked up. I leaned to the 64 RI because I liked the vintage pickups and radius better. But it sounded and felt great. I found the body cuts less desirable aesthetically than the vintage body but it did feel nice.

asnarski likes this.

13. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

Aug 7, 2016
    Champaign illinois
    Its a great guitar. I am looking at another strat, and to be honest the tall narrow frets on the pro are worse for me intonation wise than the jumbos on the special. While my style is best suited to vintage fret sizes-I may buy the strat special mainly because the frets on the pro are just strange to me.

14. PARCO

PARCO TDPRI Member

Mar 5, 2008
    VA
    I have one. I really like the larger frets and the Texas Special pickups. It's probably the best Tele I've ever owned.

farmcaster and Ripradiant like this.

15. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Earlier this year I sold my Am. Spec. and bought an Am. Pro. Didn't like that one, sold it and got a new AV'52. I like that much better but miss the Am. Spec. I didn't mind the jumbo frets at all and loved those CS Texas Special pickups. Only reason I got rid of it was the fact I wanted a Tele with a fatter neck. If I ever came across a good deal on another Am. Spec. it would be mine. Try one and I think you will be very happy.

16. JORear

JORear Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2017
    Alabama
    I have an American Special Strat and love it. It's not my main axe, but there is nothing wrong/cheap with it. I stole mine from a guy that never played it. $600 and I got a tweed fender case.

17. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    I like the American Special Tele's so much that I own 2 if them: a 2013 Vintage Blonde and a 2017 3TSB.

I did buy 2 sets of Fender's Vintage Compensated Saddles, that I'll swap in during the next string change, but otherwise, the American Special Tele is a great value for an American-made Fender.

18. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    It is all taste .. I prefer jumbos over smaller frets, but the telecaster community at times does have a tendency to prefer vintage specs

The specials are imo cool guitars :)

19. JustJJ

JustJJ TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Wisconsin
    What body cuts? American Special has a traditional body shape, unless I'm missing something. There's definitely no belly cut.

20. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    Lobomov makes a great point!

There are ton's of Telecaster's and Fender replacement parts available for a very good reason: Everyone is different, and each has his own likes and needs!

Don't be swayed by popular opinion or the number of posts an author may have. Check out these axes yourself and buy what YOU like!

My $.02.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.