Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Twin question?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by WetBandit, Sep 8, 2018.

1. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    I've got a reissue twin and I am wondering if I can use my 2 button footswitch from my mustang 3 on the twin?

Dont want to plug it in if it will cause issues...

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It's not going to hurt anything, but I'm 100% sure it won't work.

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    They have different functions and are wired differently - no.

You can get a Fender 2-button reverb/trem footswitch on reverb.com for about $35-40

4. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    The Twin's switch has to be able to isolate the amp's bias voltage from ground reliably, i.e. without smoking an internal part. I haven't dissected a Mustang switch, but I'd be surprised if it didn't have somewhat sensitive electronics inside that wouldn't appreciate -52V or so across them. Get one from Reverb or Fender.

5. WetBandit

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    Well it didn't hurt anything... and it did work in a weird way...

The trem only comes on when you hold the footbutton down like a momentary switch.

I will be ordering a new 2 button.

6. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Did the reverb work?

7. WetBandit

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    Yup reverb never went off.

The trem only comes on when the buttons are held down.

And the tone changes if you hold down one or both buttons simultaneously.

It's really odd and I won't do it again lol.

8. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Did the reverb never go off because the pedal button didn't work at all?

9. WetBandit

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    You mean like the original button?

I'm confused as to what you are asking?

10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Hmmm. It didn't hurt the Twin. Does it still work when you plug it into the Mustang?

11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    the defeat button for reverb and tremolo breaks the signal chain , but the other set of footswitches has a powered circuitry , the off on thing mat still work but the curcuit may interfere with the smooth operation of the off on function, acting like a momentary contact rather than a latching switch. and thats what you found.

I usually will buy old pedals and rewire them to my needs if you look you can find them for about 10 bucks used .

12. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Yeah.

13. WetBandit

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    You are confusing the devil out of me lol...

The reverb was on the whole time.

The trem would only come on when any one of the two buttons is held down. The tone changes however if you hold both buttons at once.

It's like it got fatter sounding and more defined.

So it seems like only holding one button some how let some signal through ... but choked it down or compressed the bejesus out of it.

14. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Holic

The old footswitch shorted the reverb to ground to turn it off, and shorted the tremelo to ground to turn it on, using 3 conductors.
    I didn't find the schematic for the Mustang III switch, but most of the newer Fender designs use different resistances and diodes to control different functions, (using a 2 conductor cable).
    Like 24 track I find pedals cheap, and mod them to what I want. (I gutted one of these and modded it to use with my drum machine),

DSCF2430.JPG DSCF2431.JPG

15. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    I love the pattern here.

OP asks "Should I do X?"

Does X anyway.

Reports on X's result.

Said result intrigues OP and others, who offer technical explanations for X's result.

Someone--maybe several people--will then want to develop a pedal that expressly yields X's result.

If said inventor gives said pedal a spiffy name and finds a good marketer, a new gotta-have pedal is born.

"Dude, this one changes changes your tone if you hold down both trem buttons, but in a weird/cool/sounds-like-a-Bassman-making-toast way."

Meanwhile, the OP is too busy plugging toasters into lions, or lions into caves, and getting interesting results, to notice.

While RoscoeElegante asks, "So, if you make an amp out of a toaster, can you bring it into Canada?"

16. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    ... This is pretty much how Ben Franklin, Tom Edison, Nicky Tesla, Alex Bell, the Wright Bros, Woz and Jobs all got started. Science!

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  17. ecosse

ecosse Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Toasters? Lions? Caves?

What ARE you on sir?

18. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    32 years of grading student papers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.