Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Fender Tuner - install questions

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Stumpwizard, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Stumpwizard

Stumpwizard Tele-Meister

I am installing a set of Fender tuners (not vintage style) on a new neck.. the neck does not have the two "locating" pin holes drilled..

Does any one have a cad template at full scale or any suggestions as to how to properly locate these holes - Want the keys to be perpindicular to the neck (on the key side) - The stewmac jig for this is pretty cool, but a little pricey for my tastes.. If I had a good drawing of the locations of these holes to the 3/8" holes in the neck I will make a simple jig myself... long winded I realize but want to get as much info out so you know what I am asking.. also have searched the forums but nothing specific has come up..

Thanks in advance !!

2. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity

I think this idea is from rhomco.

Put all the tuners into the holes. Clamp a straight board along the bottom edge of the tuners to line them all up. Give each tuner a little tap with a wooden mallet to mark the index pin hole locations.

If you used a fence on your drill press it would make aligning the drill bit easier.

3. Stumpwizard

Stumpwizard Tele-Meister

Thanks...here is how I accomplished it...

1. put masking tape across the back of the headstock
    2. slit holes in the tape over the tuner holes
    3. align tuner locating pins to the key side of the headstock with a square
    4. installed a tuner into the low and high E string locations
    5. pressed firmly down onto the tape/headstock
    6. removed tuners and "connected the dots" with a pencil on the masking tape across the dimples on either end
    7. using a piece of cardstock, I created a set of marks for each tuner pins for the length and width
    8. Moved to each tuner hole and using the template, marked the vertical locations and the spread between pins
    9. CAREFULLY determined proper drill diameter, then marked the bit with tape to the correct depth
    10. even more carefully, drilled each set of marks
    11. Installed tuners in each hole, lined them up using a straight edge across the backs of the tuner castings and tightened each one
    12. Wiped the sweat from my forehead
    13. got another cup of coffee
    14. admired the fact that I didn't ruin a brand new neck

Tip-Measure, look, measure again, look again, go slow, think, slowly pull the trigger and be careful on depth control

and here it is...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. evilandy

evilandy Tele-Holic

Great info. I'm about to do the same thing here. Anyone know what size drill is good for these pin holes?

Update: Ok, I think it might be a no. 38 drill bit... I found this info on Stewmac.
    :twisted:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.