Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Fender: The Golden Age 1946-1970

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tele Shred King, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Tele Shred King

Tele Shred King TDPRI Member

Hello fellow TDPRI members and guitarist. Im Cobey Kauffman and for those of you who dont know I've been playing a long time and love Telecasters, which is obvious.:rolleyes:

I was on a trip in Washington D.C. and was in the Smithsonian American History Museum and noticed a colorful store called Retro Years or something like that. The store was centered around art culture in the 60's through the 80's. I then came across a book called Fender The Golden Age and for $20.00 it was worth every penney in the end. This book talked not only about the Fender guitar and its history, it talked about every Fender guitar made through the years, 1946-1970, or the Golden Age of Fender as it was known. It really got into detail about every model of the Fender guitar including our beloved Tele's.

I dont want to spoil it for anybody anymore but I believe every guitar player, or fan of Fender guitars, should get this book because let me tell you my friends, it's worth it. I will post a link to Amazon if anyone is interested and hope you enjoyed this post. Thanks:mrgreen:

http://www.amazon.com/Fender-The-Go...9503920&sr=8-6&keywords=fender+the+golden+age

2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

I picked that up with a Barnes and Noble gift card not too long ago. It's a useful book with good quality photos. Kind of like a mini version of "Fender: The Sound Heard 'Round the World." Unlike many picture books, it contains good documentary text as well.

3. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

I actually saw that book for the first time just last night. Really should have got it as it was pretty impressive.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Poster Extraordinaire

1946 to 1970 that kind'a sucks. My Tele's a 78. :D

Wouldn't the Golden Age be up till 65 when the CBS thing went through?

6. soulman969

soulman969 Doctor of Teleocity

Most of the late '60s instruments were still good players and made in the same fashion as those that came before them. It took a little while before the CBS "bean counters" began changing manufacturing methods and bastardizing Leo's designs in the name of greater profitability.

Someone should write a follow up calling the years from 1970 to 1985 as the "tin can years" because of the way CBS cheapened much of the product line and introduced some memorable failures. Not the best era in Fenders long and impressive history.

7. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

I don't think the CBS Fenders are as bad as we thought they were when it was a current thing.
    I actually want to kick myself in the butt because I bought a '73 Natural Ash Strat and a '74 hardtail sunburst Strat new and quickly got rid of them.

I've seen that book before and I like it! Now, I think I'll get a copy, since you've mentioned it. See how easy I am? Persuadable.

8. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity

I would recommend this book over The Golden Age if you were to choose between them ... I have both though.;)
    [​IMG]

9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Poster Extraordinaire

Well who screwed them up around 1990? I bought a new USA Srat the deluxe or whatever with Lace pickups, the bathtub rout and a body made of glued up scrap wood from Chinese shipping crates. What a POS.

I like my 78 Tele sure it has a three inch thick poly finish on it but I like it.

10. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I like a few guitars that were introduced during Fender 1970's. The Wide-range humbuckers from the original '72 are pretty well regarded.

Fender Classic Series '72 tele custom.jpg
    Fender-72-Thinline-Telecaster-e1304531834102.jpg

11. StratBluesRock

StratBluesRock Friend of Leo's

12. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

1946 to 1970 were the years that Leo was with the company.
    It was K&F from 1944 to 1946, then became Fender. When Leo sold to CBS, in 1965, he had a no-compete clause and was hired as a "Consultant" by CBS till 1970.

So when the when people call 1946-1970 as the Fender "Golden Age", they are really saying the Fender Years that Leo Fender was with the company.

13. Tele Shred King

Not until a little after 72, the CBS takeover pretty much used crappy manufaturing methods in terms of electronics, assembly, ect, and until the late 80's, early 90's, the company started making them the way they should be made. But really its your opinion as a player if you like your guitar or not.

14. Tele Shred King

Yes i have both lol.:grin:

15. Telemarkman

Together with Nacho's "Blackguard" book, the "Duchossoir Bible" and Tony Bacon's "Six decades of the Fender Telecaster" they are among the books that are essential for any Tele geek!:cool:

16. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

+1

Yeah, I had a '73 Natural Ash Strat as well for a few months. Actually a decent guitar but I wanted humbuckers at the time.

My '71 Jazz Bass was a very good instrument as well. And my transitional '65/'66 Tele, '62 Jazzmaster and '62 Bass VI were good, but not holy grail instruments.

I do admit to passing on late '70s and early '80s Fenders but some of the ones I've played more objectively were not as bad as I had pictured them being.

17. reverb11

reverb11 TDPRI Member

My friend Terry Foster is one of the authors of "The Golden Age." One reason I like his book better than the Smith book is that the Golden Age team took all the photos in the book themselves (no stock or promo images). And... they cover steels, K&F amps... pretty much everything. They are both great books, though.

18. Tele Shred King

19. Telemarkman

20. Tele Shred King

21. Telemarkman

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.