Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Fender "Texas Tele" pickups (not CS or Special)

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Just Dropped In, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Just Dropped In

Just Dropped In TDPRI Member

Sep 12, 2015
    USA
    I have a 2013 Rustic model (FSR based on American Standard) that came equipped with Fender's "Texas Tele" type pickups. These are not Custom Shop or Texas Special type p/ups. Can't seem to find much info on them, as most searches bring up these other Texas-themed variants. The neck on this one measures around 9.27k, while the bridge unit measures a whopping 15k. There's no markings or info on the pickup bottoms, and they're unpotted. Not sure if I'm gonna change the bridge p/up for something a little tamer (I'm ok with the neck unit). In any case, does anyone here know much about these "Texas Tele" pickups? Are they the same as Highway 1 Teles were using a few years back?

Tonetele likes this.

2. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

Sep 20, 2011
    Sacramento
    Based on the specs you have given, they sound like the pickups that came in the Highway One Texas Tele and that were originally in the American Special Teles. There are a few different threads about them on the forum, especially with regard to the American Specials and how Fender switched them with real Custom Shop Texas Specials a few years ago. I had a paid with the same specs you described in my 2011 American Special. I eventually swapped them out. They weren't bad pickups, and the neck actually sounded pretty good. I just wanted a brighter, lower output pickup in the bridge and a start pickup in the neck.

3. Just Dropped In

Sep 12, 2015
    USA
    Thanks Bender, I'll check out some of the older threads with the search feature.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    Put this in Google:

highway texas telecaster bturnerdes

One of the first forum threads that comes up will have a post from the designer of the pickups.

6. Just Dropped In

Sep 12, 2015
    USA
    I'll give that a try Tele12. Thanks.

7. Just Dropped In

Sep 12, 2015
    USA
    Update:

Looks like these Texas p/ups are just not my cup of tea. Gave them a try for a few months, but I couldn't bond with them. I'm in the process of installing a set of Seymour Duncans that I purchased new in the mid-1980s. Bridge is a Broadcaster STL-1b (8.91k) and a neck STR-1 (7.52k). I've got the Broadcaster installed, and it smokes. I'm going to mod the wiring to cloth-type and do a CRL 3-way switch while I'm under the hood.

8. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    Ya beat me to it, tele12.

Anyway, I have the specs on those Highway One Texas Tele pickups, directly from Fender, if anyone is interested.

9. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    I would definitely be interested in the specs!

10. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    Here ya go, tele12:

PICKUP ASSY HWY1 TX TELE LEAD
    North Pole up, Copper plate on bottom, counter clockwise wind 15,000 turns #43 Polysol wire
    Average DC 16-18K
    Alnico V

PICKUP ASSY HWY1 TX TELE NK
    North Pole up Counter clockwise 10,000 turns #43 Enamel
    Average DC 7.8-8.0k
    Alnico V

tele12 likes this.

11. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire

I see (common occurrence FWIW) Fender spec is off.

I have one neck recorded at 9.77K and your Olyimpic White was 9.12K.

Oly white Bridge was under that 16K too.

Falling right in there with the op's

For trivia sake

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 9:57 AM

12. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    JDI - I'd g for the Texas Specials even though I use Toneriders- only for economic reasons.

13. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    Thanks! I had seen the numbers before but didn't remember the exact numbers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.