Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Superchamp X2 head open or closed back cabinet?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by retiredff, Mar 12, 2018.

1. retiredff

retiredff TDPRI Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Flat Rock, IN
    Just wondering how many have used this amp with open and closed enclosures. Your impressions?

I play at home and am close to buying this amp. I may buy the SC112 matching enclosure also but it is a closed back cabinet.
    Anyone used the SC112 and changed speaker to???

I play classic rock, blues and some country picking.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

2. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2012
    Southern California
    Personally I would invest in a better cab for the SCX2 head. I would go with an open back. I am using a 15 inch open back cab loaded with a JBL K130 speaker and it sounds incredible. I would also go with a Weber Alnico speaker in the flavor that suits you.

3. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2008
    SoCal
    I was using my super champ x2 combo as a head with a hot rod deluxe 1x12 cabinet for a while. It sounded bigger and louder, but I can't say better. I think it sounded better with the stock speaker and cabinet...less boomy and thumpy. I can't speak to the 1x12 cabinet that is meant for the super champ x2 head. It's a smaller cabinet for sure.

4. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    I've had a SCXD 10" combo, since 2009. I replaced the speaker with an Eminence Legend 105, making the amp sound bigger, louder and more Tweed in character.

[​IMG]

5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Generalizations follow...

As for me, I wouldn't use the SC112 cabinet.

1. It's small, has a fairly neutral sounding speaker, and is intended to be a neutral reproducer of the modeled voices. If I'm using a head with a cab, I want to hear the characteristics of the cab and speakers.

2. It's front-loading with a non-removable back. You can't remove anything to get an open back tone if you wake up wanting that, some day.

Open back puts more out of phase sound into the room and sounds more ‘open’ to me (sorry about using a really intangible description). Closed back will have a bigger, more controlled low end and project more. You can try out cabinets by plugging them into your head. Example: use a friend's Deluxe Reverb as a cabinet to try out a 1 x 12" open back.

I’d use a cab with a convertable back, so I could open at least the middle 1/3. You can remove any of the 3 pieces to tune the sound. You won't lack for low end with an open back. Once you get past the solid state preamp, the SCX2 is 99% Princeton circuit and has plenty of low end. I use a 2 x 10" Tremolux-style cab that has too much low end for me. I'll make or buy a 3-piece back for it so I can open it up. It does sound pretty nice with the back off.

The size and number of speakers are up to you, depending on the sound you want. Remember that the SCX2 voices all have cab and speaker modeling applied to them by default. You'll need to use the Fuse software to turn off the cab and speaker modeling for each voice if you're using it with an external cab other than the SC112. For example, the Super-Sonic/SS112 voice models a 1x12" open back cab with a Celestion Vintage 30. If you model that, on top of actually using a 1 x 12" open back cab, you're likely to get some unsatisfactory results.

6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    If you're talking about current models, the HRD and SC112 cabs have the same speaker, but the HRD has a lot more cubic size, thus more low end. With the HRD you'd need to turn the cab and speaker modeling off for the voices to make it sound close to right.

7. MarkWW

MarkWW Tele-Meister

Mar 20, 2012
    Central Florida
    I have used both open and closed back cabs with my XD head and for some reason I slightly prefer open.

8. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I have the newer matching cab for my X2 head.

I've always preferred open back, be it cab or combo, but it is what it is. For now, I'm more interested in the matching/looks part of it. But more important...

I also use the line out of the head into an open back combo, albeit a Fender solid state. Tweaking the two gives me what I need. An A/B/Y box is also in my future, but I just don't need it now.

At 15w, the head alone isn't going to cut it for many gigging situations anyway.

9. bigtuna61

bigtuna61 TDPRI Member

Oct 28, 2015
    s.w.mo. u.s.a.
    Mine runs pretty damn good with a closed back, 12" celestion something or other. 20180414_180124.jpg

JayFreddy likes this.

10. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Great thread.

Can anyone tell me... for home studio purposes (no performances in venues) would this SCX2 head and an ample size cabinet with 1-12" speaker give a good, full typical "Fender clean" tone?

Is the tone close to, say a Princeton Reverb amp?

I'm not interested in heavy overdrive tones, though I wouldn't mind the sound of a very *slightly* overdriven tube amp. And I do love the sound of a clean Fender tube amp.

Lastly, does this amp have reverb?

11. MuddyDitch

MuddyDitch Tele-Holic

Jun 1, 2014
    Tulpehocken Delta
    I run an open back cab with a 15" Jensen and am satisfied with the sound. It's a great amp for cleans.

DHart likes this.

12. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2012
    Bucharest
    I prefer to use my head SCX2 with pine DIY open cabs. Still, found an ex 650 Performer that became a cab as well, when the amp inside died. Has a 12" Fender Special Design that sounds very interesting to may taste. Other speakers I use: are 10" Ragin' Cajun and a 15" Eminence, both in open pine cabs.
    You can try to connect it to a speaker from another amp (if it's 8 ohms) like I did with the one from my FM65 (that went away now)... I still may want to connect it to a 12" Celestion in a Marshall Studio I have.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.