Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Std. Telecaster or Squier Classic Vibe Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by UmBert, Apr 9, 2017.

1. acoustic rob

acoustic rob Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Classic Vibe all the way for me. Build quality was just as good as the Mexican Standard, I liked the pickups better, and--for me, at least--the gloss neck beat the satin neck on the Standard hands down.

Grux likes this.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

The Modern Player was supposed to be the bridge between the Squier line and the MIM Standard. FMIC priced it in between them.

Had it been successful then maybe the O.P. would be looking at them as well. But, instead what happened was the Modern Players were IMO clearly inferior in quality to the Classic Vibes and when monetary rates would change, the prices of the CV and MIM Standards would pinch up against each other and leave no niche for the Modern Player.

Paradoxically, once FMIC dumped the Modern Player, dealers found a way to sell the MIM Standards for more money and the price gap (between MIM and the overseas Indonesian and Chinese models) is alive and well.

No, I always felt the MIM Deluxe models, such as the Deluxe Nashville, were supposed to sell just above the MIM Standard, not between the CV and the MIM Standard.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    The only gripe I have about my Classic Vibe tele (other than the lack of electrosocket and 4-way switch, which most all teles lack, and I took care of right away) is that the frets seem to wear quickly

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    If you're using a "Classic Vibe" guitar, are you using "Classic Vibe" strings?

By that, I'm referring to pure nickle strings, which besides being period-correct would also be kinder to your frets than stainless steel or nickel-plated strings. Of course that has no bearing on the plain strings, though.

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Right, and it is the high E cowboy chord area which has developed this issue

7. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Seems to be a common thread.

The big differences seem to be:
    - Slightly different neck
    - Different pickups
    - Different bridge setup

I have been able to setup and intonate my MIM standard myself.. IMO it's a great bridge for user friendly setup stuff. I'm not sure I'd be as comfy with the vintage setup. But that's a major difference that you'd think would be a big factor.

I'd play them both to see if there is a preference and if budget is a concern look used too.. I got my MIM used (1 year old, looked brand new) for far less than the Squier CV costs new. Particularly as if you're new to electric you're going to end up needing money for other stuff like an amp. I have a $100 amp. Earlier this week my teacher took my guitar from me and played it on his 1960s Valco Gretsch.. (needless to say worth way more than $100) The amp makes an enormous difference in sound, probably far more than pickups or bridge IMO. I said I wouldn't believe that was my guitar if I hadn't seen him plug it in.

I love my MIM to death.. it is pretty much flawless, it's my first electric guitar, my acoustic guitars were both built overseas and have/had multiple minor issues that took lots of trips to the local tech/luthier to fix. My MIM plays better than anything else I've had and I was able to do the setup myself.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.