Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Fender Std. Telecaster or Squier Classic Vibe Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by UmBert, Apr 9, 2017.

1. UmBert

UmBert TDPRI Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Warsaw, Poland
    Hi!
    I want to buy a new Telecaster. I got a 650$ to spent. Fender Standard Telecaster or one of those Squiers higher models like Classic Vibe? What is the better choice?

Greetings!

2. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

Jun 6, 2011
    Leighton Buzzard
    Can't go wrong with both , but check out the resale values in your area , that way when or if you want to upgrade it will work out more cost effective.

UmBert likes this.

3. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Keep saving until you can afford a Baja Tele?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. UmBert

UmBert TDPRI Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Warsaw, Poland

It's also a good idea :) Thanks, I think about it :)

6. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Buy used and $650 can probably get you into a Baja Tele or one of the other high end MiM teles.

Or buy a Squier used and save the extra $400.

JayFreddy, soulman969 and UmBert like this.

7. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    Best to try each for differences in pickups, neck profile, fretwork, weight, fretboard wood, etc. and pick the one you like the best. Good luck!

Mr Scallywag, soulman969 and UmBert like this.

8. jjudas

jjudas Tele-Meister

Jul 26, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Buy a nice used Fender. Can't go wrong.

UmBert likes this.

9. SynMike

SynMike Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2013
    Vancouver BC
    I have both and I am very happy with both. The classic vibe has a more vintage tone. The Standard is a more modern sound and suits my style better.

Butch Snyder likes this.

10. tellycasta

tellycasta TDPRI Member

Oct 27, 2016
    Oslo, Norway
    Fender MIM standard! You'll be glad you did:) Or save up for a Baja, that's even better

11. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 16, 2010
    Philippines
    Im in the camp that says save up more for the Baja! plus you can get a Baja 60's if you like rosewood!

I did buy a Standard for my first guitar, but I wished I bought a Classic Vibe. But then I got money saved up after a while and got a Baja.

12. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    For my money, it would be a standard every time. Better build and that lovely satin neck, you really can't beat that for the money imo.

CV Squires are great value, I have one myself, but it's not an American Standard. If you are talking about the mex standard btw I would still plump for the standard.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017

13. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    A couple more bucks and you'll be in the Deluxe Nashville Tele range. Man I love mine. Mega versatile sonically!

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Not sure about that.

The Deluxe Nashvilles have always been most fairly priced in North America, but overseas they're more in the price category with Classics and Bajas. I'm simply so used to seeing Nashvilles available new and used in the USA for just a little more than the Standard to make it seem "right" - so it seems unfair that they be so pricey in France or Italy or Poland.

I mean, I have four of the old style Deluxe Nashvilles, and maybe their price should've been higher and in Poland it is, disproportionately so.

shupe13 likes this.

15. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    Man that sucks.

16. Been an anti Squier guy in the past, thinking they were only for those that didn't know better. I now have 5 and they hold their own to any of my other 'expensive' guitar with a few tweaks. I have 2 that are 100% stock and love them as well.

Resell, you will get burnt on both if you buy new, but for my money I'd get the Squier and use a bit of that money for possible upgrades once you get it. I've had a Baja, it was a fine guitar, heavy but fine. Pickups are the biggest plus in the Baja and you can put those in the Squier if you wanted to as well.

Good luck!

TMMC and soulman969 like this.

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, but the other side of the coin was that guys in the UK and EU were being offered, Bajas in Lake Placid Blue and other colors we could not get then, over there, at prices just about exactly what we were paying here AND their selection sounded better than ours at the time as well.

A couple years before that they could get several of the MIM Classic Series guitars again, at prices pretty much the same as we paid here. AND they could get certain MIJs we could not readily find, at prices in some cases less than what we'd pay here. The USA guys with their well bought MIM Nashville Deluxes, well, this was our consolation prize. I feel just as bad for the new guitar guy in Spain or Austria, who wasn't needing one of these MIMs back when they were being given away. Just about every choice in Fenders or Squiers in the EU is much more expensive now than it was 10 years ago. Over and above the changes in the exchange rate.

And for this reason I would recommend to the O.P. in Poland that he look for used examples. In many cases the previous owner got a great deal back then and he could pass along some of that to a new buyer in 2017.

18. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    Plan to keep? The Classic Vibe is awesome. AWESOME. Plan to sell one day? Fender has far greater resell value.

Honestly, I'd save a bit more and go with an American Standard.

Grux likes this.

19. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    Used to be the Nashville was a great value, but when Fender redesigned last year they also repriced. The Nashville now goes for the same as the Classics or Baja.

20. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Yeah, the modern player series kind of took their place in the price structure I guess.

21. Howie22

Howie22 TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2015
    N Carolina
    The ceramic pickups in the Mex Standard are pretty hot. More of a modern sound. Not the best if you want the vintage twang

boris bubbanov likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.