Fender Starcaster - What a beauty !

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by RoCkstAr256, Apr 24, 2019.

1. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

emisilly, JMac52 and Matthias like this.
  2. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I always found it interesting that Fender makes two products with the "Starcaster" name; these, and the beginner strats that you can buy with a practice amp for $199 at toy stores.

[​IMG]

fatcat and ponce like this.
  3. Little Red Tele

Little Red Tele Tele-Meister

You really have to look at the neck joint on these - I have seen quite a few with loose fit, bad angle and other problems that make them very difficult to set up properly

4. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

My high school owned an old 70s starcaster. It was pretty cool but terrible to play because it hadn't been worked on in so long. The strings were literally rusted.

I used to bring different guitars to jazz band all the time to fool my teacher, who was new my senior year. And one day I was playing the Starcaster and he asked if it was mine. I told him no, it belonged to the school and immediately realized what I had done. I could have walked out with that guitar free and clear that day. Still kicking myself :lol:

It's still there...sitting in a case being neglected.

bcorig likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The modern Starcaster By Fender in the player packs, MIC ones, do a better job of matching MIA than the Squiers. They have chunkier necks and full thickness bodies. Some fretwork needed but after that they are great platforms. The MII ones are made in the same factory as the Squiers and share the same skinny necks and thin bodies (but the manufacturing repeatability is a lot better, they adhere too slavishly to Fender's Squier directive).

The old Starcasters are cool looking. Haven't played one.

6. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

I'm sure there used to be a Fender Starcaster Drum Kit too.

7. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You are not thinking of the Broadcaster, are you? - (that was the drum kit for Gretsch)...

EddieLocrian likes this.
  8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

You can also build one of those from Warmoth parts just fyi.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  9. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Seriously...did they leave out a decimal point in the price ?

I got some Starcaster bridge saddles and tried to use them on my Classic Player 50's Strat, but they don't work well with their stock height adjustment screws, which are designed to sit on that flat raised bridge plate.

10. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

It seems the original Starcasters have become quite desirable. I think they were released in fairly limited numbers and the original WRHBs have become valuable. I have one of the Modern Player reissues, can't quite say that I've bonded with it, but their value on the resale market seems to be going up.

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Have to consider the original WRHB pickups into that price.
    A friend of mine has one of these and it sounds great.

12. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Wish they would bring it back with MiM and MiA series

13. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That would be interesting - maybe Fender would do them as some kind of limited run to test the waters.

I know the originals didn't sell that well and they didn't make many of them - which is one of the reasons why they've gone up in value over the years. The other reason is they are associated with Johnny Greenwood, which kind of lead to the resurgence in interest in the Starcaster, which in turn lead to Fender doing the Modern Player version in China. Of course Fender isn't taking on much risk to do them in China - they just go to their suppliers over there and say "Can you do a Starcaster reissue/revision for $xxx cost to us?", and it's up to the Chinese factory so say yes or no, and the Chinese factory takes on the risk for any tooling costs, etc. instead of FMIC.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Isn't the cachet to the original Starcaster largely in the WRHB pups? They aint bringing back CuNiFe pups -- too expensive. I just don't see this selling enough to make it worthwhile.

15. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

Our bassplayer had a Starcaster bass. The headstock seemed a bit less um... suggestive than on the guitars even though it was bigger. :rolleyes:

16. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

Sometimes being sensible and risk-averse (and not stealing things) works out better in the long run. I admire your fortitude as an 18 year old.

bcorig likes this.
  17. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

that string tree alone must be worth $$$$$'s.

...right?

18. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

If they were such great, desireable guitars, people would have bought them and Fender would have continued making them ... They are now expensive because they are rare, not because they are anything special as an instrument ...

19. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm sure I saw Robben Ford with an original.... somewhere. This would have been before his Esprit Signature Model

20. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

Yeah the not stealing part is always good. But we're talking about a school that went through 3 band directors in 5 years. The guy that was there my senior year only lasted another year or so before they canned him. He had no idea what was in his bandroom as far as instruments went, and if he ever would have inventoried anything he wouldn't have known a starcaster from a squier affinity bass. So I don't regret not being a thief for the last 12 years, but I still want that guitar!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.