Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender revamping the American Vintage Series?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by medveman, Jan 4, 2018.

1. spenno

spenno TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2009
    England
    Maybe if it is true that they are replacing/tweaking/renaming the AVRI line it's because of their success ... it seems so many people regard theirs as keepers (I certainly do with my LPB 64!) which isn't good for Fender as they want me to buy as many (admittedly overpriced) guitars from them as possible. Maybe something with a similar vibe with slightly different specs/options would appeal to players in that position. It won't me, but it seems a logical perspective a manufacturer might have?

DanDII likes this.

2. wooderson

wooderson Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2007
    DFW, TX
    "Like we used to do them in the golden age" is a pretty recent concept - it's only been this decade that a broad range of Fenders were made with processes reminiscent of the old days.

In terms of that golden age, though, for a majority of guitar players under the age of ~40, their guitar heroes weren't playing pristine 50s and 60s Fenders. It was Kurt Cobain playing hacked together Jags and Mustangs (and Mosrites and Japanese copies), Dan Auerbach/Jack White types, etc..

3. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    I don’t think “like we used to do them” is such a recent concept. As a concept (and I dare say marketing move) it dates back to the early ‘80s, when the Fender company was on the brink of disappearing. That’s when the “52 reissue tele" appeared. And IIRC “like we used to do them” was one of the marketing hooks. Of course the first ‘52 was not entirely period-correct, nor has any AVRI since (even the post-2012 cannot be, for regulatory reasons, exactly the same thing). But that was pretty much the concept that was being sold, and I feel that even my pre-2012 AV 52 delivers that feeling in spades.

As for the second point: I do not have the pretense of representing all the market, or even a sizeable share (even though I am confident that if you did a poll on this forum on “what was the golden age of Fender guitars”, the 50s would win hands down and the early ‘60s would be right behind). My point is a lot humbler, and simpler: I am sorry that fender is discontinuing that series, because I felt it was an appealing concept, and a very meaningful one for a company that has Fender’s historical legacy. I can of course order and assemble wonderful partscasters to the specs I want. Doesn’t take away that I hate to see the American Vintage series go.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 5:55 PM
    moosie and LowThudd like this.

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    One thing to keep in mind about Wildwood's special lines... They're usually not that much different, and they're very good at marketing. :rolleyes:

I suspect if roles had been reversed, Fender selling AVs with 9.5, 6105, and WW selling vintage spec (7.25", 6230 fret wire) 'thin skins' (which by the way is the same as the AV finish, if not a hair thicker), that the WW line would have been even more popular than it has been. So I don't buy that WW popularity equates to people not liking vintage necks.

As long as Fender keeps the great finish, they're simplifying production lines, and they can always see their error and bring the spec back. I shall hold my breath, starting... now. :)

mimmo and RadioFM74 like this.

5. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    FWIW, according to Musikraft's research, the radius and neck shapes were all over the place on Blackguards. So, although I disagree with ONLY having 9.5 radius, it really isn't incorrect to even have a 9.5" R with an .82" thickness. Just wasn't exactly every guitar made. I do think there should be more variety, which also includes keeping the AVRI intact. Who knows, maybe Fender IS doing that. We really don't know at this point.https://musikraft.com/cmspage.php?page_id=41

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ksargent

ksargent TDPRI Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Florida
    I just picked up a new AV 52 Tele this week - and from what I'm reading here, I'm glad I did. I am pretty much settled on small radii - 7.25" on Fenders or 7.5" on G&Ls. If Fender doesn't make a 7.25" available at a reasonable price, then I will have to buy elsewhere - probably G&L. That being said - I love the AV 52 and would buy another one in a heartbeat - as long as it had the small radius.

It seems that the community of Fender and Fender-style guitarists do prefer the 9.5" so I understand the move (most new G&Ls I see are 9.5" these days).

Ken

AJ Love, mimmo and Southpole like this.

7. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    Caveat emptor
    he said in a tweet @ 05:00 pacific coastal time......o_O..... Fender is not my friend. Fender is a corporation that is motivated by profit margin. The squiggly black line indicating that the boys in the boardroom are lining their pockets and those of the shareholders.
    Fender is just like G.M., General Electric, Macdonald /Douglas, and yes Starbucks.
    It's o.k., I am fine with that.\ I like the Mc'Tele and Mc'Mini-Strat.
    And I think it's fair to say that we love Fenders gear. A world wide site dedicated to one of it's products,
    that being "The Telecaster" indicates a customer loyalty base that is both dedicated to everything tele and hold a virtual religious reverence for the guitar. I am fine with that too.
    it seems that Fenders messing with it's own successful product lines, have created a large and yet exclusive market for refined versions of their amps and guitars and basses.
    Victoria Amps
    http://www.victoriaamp.com/amplifiers-2/
    Anderson Guitars
    https://www.andersonguitarworks.com/t-classic

RadioFM74 likes this.

8. mimmo

mimmo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy
    I did the same: owning an AV 52 I bought an aged white AV 64 this week, should be here in a few days.
    Congrats on yours, it is by far my favourite guitar!

BorderRadio likes this.

9. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2017
    USA
    Side note: I have a 59 thin skin Strat I got from Dave’s Guitar Shop. 9.5, 6105 and Custom Shop 54 pups. I know these are technically “AVRI Thin Skins” but I really don’t think of it as a part of that line. The burst on mine looks like a 59 and has a slab board and clay dots, but those are really the only year-specific specs. Vintage tuners, bridge, pickguard, nitro finish etc are available on a lot of models both inside and outside of the AVRI line. Point being, this really isn’t a year-specific reissue. Now, I didn’t buy it to be that (I bought it because it had the weird combo of specs with the look, feel and sound that I wanted) and I'm assuming I'm not alone. If that's the market they want to target, then American Original might be a more appropriate name for this kind of guitar.

10. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.

11. ksargent

ksargent TDPRI Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Florida
    My local dealer brought this up with his Fender rep who told him that buyers will have to go to the "custom shop" to get the 7.25" radius in the future. Of course he didn't specify whether he meant the Fender Custom Shop or G&L :)

12. kunos

kunos TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2011
    italy/it
    Well, considering that I've never even looked at the 52AVRI exactly because of the small frets/radius it seems like Fender is sort of doing this for people "like me".

I wonder tho, what can the new Original Series bring on the table to make it more appealing than Pro and Elite?

I can only really think of colours.. perhaps a double bound model?

logans_tele and moosie like this.

13. Speedking79

Speedking79 TDPRI Member

Friday
    Vienna

14. Speedking79

Speedking79 TDPRI Member

Friday
    Vienna

15. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut

16. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

Im just happy they brought out the 60's with double binding! I would love an AVRI, but this would be good enough for me since they discontinued the 62 custom!

Southpole likes this.

17. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Yes, it looks sweet. I've got an old MIJ 62 in sunburst from '85 which is pretty nice, if I didn't have it I'd be tempted by this.

18. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

Now that they have it here in Au makes it an even more tempting idea! I love my american pro, fitted with a solid rosewood neck, but the double bound 60's AO makes me want to sell it and get it right away!

19. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    I've just spotted from the pictures that the Tele saddles appear to be compensating, but are not described as such.

20. user34603

user34603 Tele-Meister

Dec 5, 2016
    Richmond VA
    ...Fender is a business... and money does not talk. It YELLS!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.