Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender revamping the American Vintage Series?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by medveman, Jan 4, 2018.

1. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2015
    Sinsinnasti
    WWs AVRIs are all 9.5" radius already. Other vendors like Dave's chose 7.25" radius for their AVRIs.

I see Relic Ready as a direct replacement (and a lower manufacture cost one at that) to the AVRI series.

Relic Ready year designations follow the old AVRI series.

Fact is if you want a specific year designation with specific traits (like V shaped '57s) you'll be stepping up to the CS pricing level now.

I can't see this as anything but a money grab.

2. wooderson

wooderson Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2007
    DFW, TX
    Relic Readys are $3500-4500+ Custom Shop guitars. They’re part of Wildwood’s CS lines with the standard specs WW uses, 9.5/6105 and simply not reliced.

If they were AVRI replacements, they’d have vintage radii and frets.

3. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK

I experienced this too, though not to the same extent. I bought my one and only electric in 2002 (got others trading or whatever since, but never actually bought another.) I started looking at a new one in the last year or two but still haven’t pulled the trigger, there’s always other stuff to buy when you’re a grown up and have kids right?! That’s why I ended up starting to build one, but that’s another story.

I had a £350 budget and ended up pushing the boat out and getting a used Classic Series Strat for £400, but anyway the guitars I looked at were:

MIM Standards, gone up by £150-200 since then.
    Classic Series, gone up by £200-250.
    Epiphone Les Paul Standard, gone up by about £100.
    Epiphone SG 400, interestingly the same price or less. (What’s with this?)

I knew things increased with inflation and stuff but your $800 you mention seems a massive increase. That said I didn’t look at US Fenders back then so no idea how the prices compare today, I guess specs have improved and warrant a higher price maybe...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    That relic ready page reads like an April fool's joke.

DanDII likes this.

5. HappyHwy1owner

HappyHwy1owner Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2011
    Independence, Mo
    That's what my Kirn T-type has and it is very comfortable to play!

6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Well NAMM is in two weeks; we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Maybe they will reintroduce an AV-style series this summer or next year if the demand is there.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018

7. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

ok so my comment is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHOHHHHHHHH!

AVs were pretty much the only production Fender I might be interested in acquiring. And I still have a spot somewhere for an AV 58, AV 64, AV 56 and AV 59. And problem is: they’re not that plentiful on the used market.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

BorderRadio, moosie and gobi_grey like this.

8. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I got a '56 in a package deal w a '52 Tele. I was just about to sell it, since I have enough Strats. I guess I should wait till NAMM.

9. Luxter

Luxter TDPRI Member

May 4, 2017
    Ottawa, Canada
    The case at the back says 2016, so the one on the right is likely the same as the one in the second pic. The one on the left however would be a nice addition!

10. wooderson

wooderson Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2007
    DFW, TX
    The $4500 Custom Shops might be moving so slow they need to focus their energies on more mass market options.

11. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Feb 9, 2009
    Sussex, UK
    IIRC Jazzmaster was originally released in 1958. My eyesight isn't the best but year showing in the case should thus be 2018.

Smiff, moosie and Luxter like this.

12. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    I know I’m in a minority here, but I’m really not fussed over vintage versus modern neck radius, frets etc. I got used to vintage (reissue) necks first, then got used to standard modern, and then 9.5 - 14 compound radius bigger fret versions. I move between them without a second thought. Sure they feel different and you’ll play them slightly differently but that is good IMO. Bigger bends on flatter fretboards and more slides on the vintage radius but so what? You will have guessed that I’m not a shredder / metal player.

I’m trying to imagine someone turning down to the opportunity to play to stunning vintage guitar because they don’t like the frets etc! If that makes vintage guitars slightly more affordable to the rest of us then well and fine. Last thing we want is anyone hurting their fingers on those tiny frets . . .

hrstrat57 and whoanelly15 like this.

13. Luxter

Luxter TDPRI Member

May 4, 2017
    Ottawa, Canada
    My bad!!! You are right!

14. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Thank you. Same here.

DanDII likes this.

15. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    But, the whole rest of the Fender line is available to guys like you. The thing that rankles is they're making this nice, different thing, more the same as all the rest. Appealing to a deeper, yet narrower audience.

RadioFM74 and gobi_grey like this.

16. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    Don’t get me wrong, I’d prefer Fender continue making a range of vintage correct production guitars. I haven’t tried either the 58 or the 64 but those that have seem to really rave about them. They will probably go up in value over time, unlike most other modern Fenders.

17. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2015
    Sinsinnasti

Again... Wildwood's AVRIs have/had a 9.5" radius and 6105 frets. The only difference is the CS Relic Ready don't have a proper primer/ filler coat before being painted (cheaper manufacturing) and have a 10" instead of 9.5" radius. :rolleyes:

As far as sales of the AVRI series goes they were one of, if not the, fastest moving series WW carried.

When the first round of aged white 64s came out they sold through 12 in a matter of a few days. Same for '72 Custom and '57 Strats.

Maybe WWs AVRIs sold quickly because they had the larger fret wire and flatter radius?

IDK, but the only AVRI Strats and Teles that stay in stock for long are typically in the porky 8+ pound range.

Jazzmasters seem to hang out forever tho.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    moosie likes this.

18. wooderson

wooderson Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2007
    DFW, TX
    Wildwood's Thin Skins, a special series, have those (Wildwood also sells vintage spec-ed AV series guitars). Along with all of Wildwood's Custom Shop guitars. The American Original series is horning in on that territory.

What you said was:
    The "AVRI line" nationally are guitars with thin skin finishes, 7.25" radii and vintage frets. The Relic Readies are only one of those things and they're 2.5X the price, thus not a replacement.

Moreover, the Relic Readies aren't available nationally, so they can't be replacing the AVRI series.

If you meant that the Relic Ready series are replacing Wildwood's AVRI Thin Skin series there's no sign of that, either. The Relic Readies are literally twice the price of the Thin Skins. All they are is a special run Custom Shop series - the exact guitars that would be sold as Wildwood 10s, only un-reliced.

Yes, that's my point - the general AV series has faced competition (Thin Skins, Custom Shop, boutique builders) that pretty much all use a slight variation on 9.5/6105 (some are 10-inch, some use 6125). Fender may have deduced that they were losing sales sticking strictly to vintage specs on the AV series and have replaced them with the American Original series that mimics the Thin Skin/Custom Shop model in features.

19. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    just as long as they are cute and nice to look at....:rolleyes:
    is there a problem with having one guitar ? a strat, tele, jazzmaster, et al that has the pickups , sound neck that I like frets tuners bridge ect, etc ,etc, oh and the color.
    I designed my fantasy tele @ Warmoth and asked a local luthier how much it would cost to have him assemble and set up the instrument and it certainly wasn't custom shop prices all told.
    `BUT! :(no prestige value without the decal on the headstock.

20. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I guess that partscasters will become the one route available to me. Even after getting my 2011 AV ’52, which I like a lot, I’m still toying with the idea of building myself a nice MJT ’54 whiteguard…

But I still feel it’s a pity that Fender gives up the great idea – which they pursued for a long time and which basically relaunched the company from its ‘70s nadir – of keeping a line of guitars “like we used to do them in the golden age”. Yes I know: production processes are different anyway, the paint regulations have changed… no matter. When I hold an AVRI – mine or someone else’s – I generally get a good feeling, better than any other.

I fear that If they do this to the AV line, they’ll do the same to the lovely Mex Classic series, including its “lacquer" branch. Aï. Too bad.

moosie and Southpole like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.