Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender revamping the American Vintage Series?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by medveman, Jan 4, 2018.

1. medveman

medveman TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jan 10, 2015
    Budapest, Hungary
    I wanted to buy an American Vintage 52 Telecaster in the near future. I saw the price slowly decreasing in my favourite UK music store, but before making my move, it suddenly disappeared. It is not listed at all anymore. Yesterday I contacted them to figure out if they will have on stock again in the near future. The official response came through today as they had to relay my query to Fender: the item cannot be ordered currently, and there will be information posted about this soon. (At NAMM?)

As the rest of the American Vintage Series are on sale, I tend to think that something is going on with the American Vintage Series. I don’t think that they will discontinue the entire line, more likely they will introduce “twice as authentic” models this year at a higher price range.

Fender*Phil and ftbtx like this.

2. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

Jun 16, 2008
    London UK
    BorderRadio likes this.

3. grilldanmo

grilldanmo Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2017
    United States of America
    I want that Gatton Tele hanging in the back...they can keep the JMs.

4. medveman

medveman TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jan 10, 2015
    Budapest, Hungary
    Clifton C likes this.

5. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

I guess it has been about 5 years since they made any changes to the AVRI line up. It is hard to envision what improvements they could make at this point so I hope they don't screw it up with any changes.

dr_tom, Tag303, moosie and 2 others like this.

6. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Profit is the great motivator and product managers need to hold onto their jobs. Fender must sell you a new guitar to stay in business. You can shop new, used, or even Custom Shop if you're feeling flush. You can also shop similar instruments from other makers. You hold the cards.

chemobrain likes this.

7. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    From what has been discussed over on Strat-Talk: The American Originals are no longer an "accurate" representation of a specific year. From what was posted from a European dealer they are going to be a "50s Tele", "60s Tele", etc. They will have 9.5" radius fingerboards and the 6105 (tall narrow) frets.

Still waiting for the official statements from Fender - the NAMM show is going to start on January 25th so we might have to wait until then.

Omiewise65 likes this.

8. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    Well, that'll make things a little easier on my wallet. No interest in those specs. Wish I had the funds to "stock up". I wouldn't mind throwing a '58 and a '52 under the bed for a few years. Keep em nice for later on in life.

moosie, Ooba Tooba, Southpole and 2 others like this.

9. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    Not sure I like this.

So they’re basically an American Classic Series/Classic Player sort of thing then?

Mark Cheetah and boris bubbanov like this.

10. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    It looks likely that changes may be afoot as one or two of the bigger Fender retailers (in the UK) are offering a discount on the current AVRI stock.

I've just bought an AVRI '56 reissue Strat and have considered saving for an AVRI '52 reissue Tele. I really like the Strat, so I'll keep my eyes open for the '52 Tele or, perhaps, if the "American Original" series does arrive, have a look to see how any Tele version(s) look / play.

11. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Just business .. new models and new colors and in a while ... so people have something new to gas for. Guitars don't break and few are buying two of the same :)

But the new original line looks interesting. Vintage specs except for a 9,5 radius and medium jumbos :)

hellopike and BorderRadio like this.

12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Not at all. While they may not be "period correct" they seem to just be updated with modern specs that many prefer: a flatter 9.5 radius and larger frets. Wildwood and Daves have had similar instruments for years, known as "thin skins" which were essentially AV guitars with the update specs.

13. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

Sounds like a downgrade to me, at least in terms of how appealing the instruments are to me personally. OTOH I really shouldn't worry about it because I am not in the market for another guitar anyway. *shrug*

Southpole and mimmo like this.

14. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy
    The AV series was my favourite (other than because of the overall quality) because of the vintage specs. I REALLY love 7.25 inch radius and small frets, a modern oriented axe would not suit my taste.
    Good for my wallet, bad for me.

15. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    If I'm honest, my decision to but mine was much the same - and the pickups are supposedly a bit lower output than some of the brighter / more aggressive sounding newer models I've tried. I genuinely know very little about guitars but this one has a really nice, flash nitro finish and, for whatever reason just seemed to be about the best balanced Strat I've picked up.

mimmo likes this.

16. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    That's how I see it as well - more like the "thin skins" or perhaps somewhat like the old "Hot Rod Vintage" series (i.e. the AVRI version that was out from 2005-2012).

17. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

The vintage neck radius and frets are the key features of the AVRI models to me. A guitar with modern neck radius and medium jumbo frets may be a fine instrument, and the Hot Rod versions of the AVRI lineup were basically AVRI models with those features, plus maybe some pickup differences. If Fender is doing away with the vintage radius and vintage frets, then as far as I am concerned they are doing away with the AVRI line.

18. user34603

user34603 Tele-Meister

Dec 5, 2016
    Richmond VA
    ...better Strats are available cheap if ypou do not have to have Fender new and glossy. Pawn shops, etc have older and banged up guitars that were well made. Tokai, Vantage, Peavey, etc. were all good and well made guitars better in certain ways than Fenders (think about 9.5 radius... do you have to have that from the 'old days' ?)

19. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    They do make sense based on what’s currently selling with these Wildwood’s etc. and fair play if they appeal to you; I was just disappointed that it looks like the AVS is being cut.

I guess nobody knows the full story until Fender tell us, so I might have jumped the gun. I for one, do like vintage radii and frets though, so like the option of being able to get one without having to get it from the Custom Shop.

t guitar floyd, Wobbles and hdvades like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.