Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Pro Junior IV

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Kayle McGuire, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Kayle McGuire

Kayle McGuire Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Canada
    Hey guys!

Just letting y’all know I heard back from Fender about some differences between the Pro Junior III and the fourth version.

“The new circuitry in the 4 is designed to remain clear and articulate even when pushed, so the 3 would break up sooner.”

So if anyone is looking for a small, clean tube amp to use as a pedal platform at small gigs or in the studio, check out the new Pro Junior IV.

2. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    I actually liked the way the older Pro Jr. didn't get louder after about half way up, only more distorted. For a home practice amp I liked that about it.
    Al

3. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    I have an older one and am fine with it, but I expect the 4 may be more popular eventually, since so many folks get their dirt from a pedal anyways.

Kayle McGuire likes this.

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Do not despair, grit-lovers. Even with the changes, it's probably still no Jazz Chorus. I doubt it will be classified as "polite".

Sounds like the changes they made will have similar effect to what a lot of people do already with the older models, including myself with the v.II I have: 12AY7 in V1 and a speaker swap.

5. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

Aug 7, 2016
    Champaign illinois
    What they ought to do is have a respected designer like Paul Rivera design the pro jr-oh wait thats the design they "improved". I would like to try one though-and it might be better for people that didnt use it as intended to begin with.

6. Cicada Nation

Cicada Nation Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    I just got a IV, and I also had a III and I think the statement from Fender is a bit misleading. Yes, the III breaks up earlier on the dial, but not necessarily at a lower volume. The difference is just that the IV’s volume sweep is more gradual. It’s not that you are going to have to crank the IV to a higher actual volume to get breakup, just a higher number, and even that ain’t by much.

7. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2012
    Bucharest
    Indeed, this might be a way (I made similar change in a MicroTerror with great results). Also, as a proud owner of the Pro IV, I use a lot the volume pot, so became very workable, even for cleaner sounds with max vol.
    Connecting it to bigger speakers, a 12" or 2x12 means a lot for volume. So you can play it even on bigger gigs... (it has the jack connector well hidden)

8. otstratman

otstratman TDPRI Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Philadelphia
    Has anyone noticed the horrible hiss and hum associated with the III's or has Fender finally corrected that issue? Does the amp run dead quiet at idle? If so, sign me up. I'll take two of 'em and run them in "true stereo". Please let me know?

9. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Sorry for the newb question, but how does one determine the various models of the Pro Junior? There is a USA-made on for sale near me for a $300 asking price, but has been for sale a long time and probably would sell for less.

10. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Version 1 was USA-made. Silver control panel, facing backward. Version 2 was same aesthetics, made in Mexico. Version 3 changed to a black control panel, facing forward. Version 4 is the current one, as shown on their website.

11. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks very much. And what would be the characteristics of Version 1, in terms of sound, build specs, and reliability? Thanks again!

12. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    England
    The 1st version have had reported hum issues, that were ironed out in the 2nd version. Please, note I haven't owned version 1, so can't comment on how bad the hum issue was. Certainly, it was deemed good enough to make it to production.

I had a Blues Junior 3 for a short while. Fun amp. Lacked clarity when overdriven. The transistor based boost function was fun.

I always wondered if the clarity would have been improved with a better speaker, but I sold it.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Michael A. likes this.

13. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2012
    Bucharest
    Hum is well reduced in version IV, but still there if you crank it and especially if you go with Treble pot on higher levels. For me sounds great: smooth transition from lower level to full crank, low level hum which might disappear completely, depends of what you choose with EQ on guitar and amp as well... growling tones from lower levels to full, not heavy at all. If in need for stereo it can go with my Marshall Studio 15 or SCX2, pairs great with both of them, having different sounds of course which brings a special sound design in the hall.
    Love that Jensen inside!!!
    The only slightly problem is the rattling you can hear from those plastic spacers of the pots. you may take them out, as someone suggested here on forum or better tighten the pots knobs (which I did).
    Bottom line - love this PJ edition, and that's not ONLY because of tweed...

Attached Files:

8eighty likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.