Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Fender Pawn Shop Special Ramparte

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DakotaRed, Aug 29, 2013.

1. dmeeg05

dmeeg05 Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2011
    Dundalk, Ireland
    Apparently the build quality is excellent!! I'm buying one cause I like amps that look like furniture... :)

2. teleamp

teleamp Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2006
    Central TX
    It's a souped up 5F1 circuit

3. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

I totally agree with your perspective on this and I like what Fender is doing here. I've got piles of these old amps and they all have something special going on. I hope Fender releases more over time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DW

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. cynic79

cynic79 Tele-Meister

Dec 18, 2009
    Northern Virginia/DC
    It may be an American thing.

6. strat a various

strat a various Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2008
    Texas
    If it were "Rampart", I'd say Rampart Street, a famous street in New Orleans, it runs along the north border of the French Quarter. That would make sense musically. Why they stuck the "e" on the end, I don't know.

7. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks, interesting - still listening.

8. Soulsingin77

Soulsingin77 TDPRI Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Cary, NC
    Just discovered this amp...oh crap.

I'm still in a major honeymoon with my Exy. And they come out with this?! To everyone who bypassed the Exy, there's a reason those amps hit like they did, they're wonderful, to me and the ones who dig that kinda thing anyway(we're growing in numbers daily!). Its gotten me into the old valco/ supro's, Oahu amps, etc., and opened up a whole new world for me. In turn, thats had a major positive impact on my playing. Thank you Fender! Quirks, rattling tubes, tone switch, inefficient speaker and all the Exy is happenin'. I'm hoping this amp stays with the lo-fi thing the Exy has goin on. Its unique. Could a 6L6 achieve this? Admittedly, Im not the biggest 6L6 fan. It's got some mojo just lookin at it though, so that's a good start:)

My problem is that I'm just not ready to get out of my honeymoon with my Exy at the moment:) Think maybe I'll take the thought of someone else post and wait til they start showin up used for cheap. Then again, I could find a reason to run this alongside my Exy and get it sooner:)

Sidenote- I'm also finding I like the tone switch/ no tone approach too. An eq on an amp is just more ways for me to over think my tone and thinking I can always get something more and/or better. I tinker for days when I have one, and drive myself crazy! Haha! Ive learned if the amp is voiced well enough, you can work all your tone shaping in other ways just as or more effectively.

Simplify, simplify!

9. tjnugent

tjnugent TDPRI Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Ridge, TN
    The jury is out on what this amp sounds like. I am curious. I like the fact that it is low wattage. If it isn't all that and a bag of chips I am going to bring the Excelsior home from church and buy the new Vox Night Train G2 combo for the gig and keep the modded Excelsior for my home amp. I really don't have much money tied up in Excelsior mods, so I am happy with it. I just want an amp I can leave at church and one I can play at home.

TJ

10. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Jun 22, 2009
    Kentucky
  11. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Jun 22, 2009
    Kentucky
    Looks like the same deal as the Mustangs. Mid October. Online sellers are now quoting the next 10-20 days.
    zzsounds says the 24th
    ams says the 14th
    gearnuts says the 16th

Still no demo video from Fender though. Or any for that matter.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  12. tjnugent

tjnugent TDPRI Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Ridge, TN
    I set up a Google News alert for Fender Pawnshop Ramparte Demo. I did this for video's only. Usually Google News alerts work really well. I will post when I see one.

TJ

13. tjnugent

tjnugent TDPRI Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Ridge, TN
    I have been extremely satisfied with my Pawnshop Excelsior. I upgraded the speaker to a Legend 1518, put new tubes in it. Used friction tap all over the inside of the chassis and outside the metal conduit and anywhere else the chassis touched the cab. I went through all the screws and used loctite blue and made sure they were secure, and I did the tone control mod with a tone pot instead of the switch. The only other mod I would do is to bypass the sag resistors. It has a great clean sound and has more headroom with the new speaker. Jumpering the sag resistors will give it even more headroom.

I may replace the output transformer with a Bill M direct fit model. Oh, yes, I put in new JJ tubes. Great tone for what I do, which is low volume clean with dirt pedals.

TJ

14. tjnugent

tjnugent TDPRI Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Ridge, TN
    One thing I have done on my pedalboard is the use a Joyo 7 band EQ pedal as the last in the chain going to the amp. I dial out some of the mids and add whatever the room needs. You don't even really need a tone control with an EQ Pedal... That is why the Ramparte looks interesting.... A good plus is that either the Exselcior or Rampart are low wattage enough and cool looking enough to put in your living room without your wife throwing a fit... Your mileage may vary... :)

15. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Jun 22, 2009
    Kentucky
    Still diggin my Excelsior. Still stock but I may look into the sag resistor mod.

I'm holding off on tube upgrades because my landlord has a bunch of tubes in his dad's garage. I'm going to wait and see what we find...if I can ever get him to actually get over there to look.

16. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    6L6... the solution to new 6V6s that don't last. :rolleyes:

17. teleamp

teleamp Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2006
    Central TX
    What was the name of the hospital in the show Emergency?

18. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
  19. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like poop....so I cleaned the wax out of my ears, then it sounded like dodo...

DW

20. tjnugent

tjnugent TDPRI Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Ridge, TN
    Most of the sound is the cheap speaker. I can hear it crapping out... With a good speaker in it, it would sound a lot better.

TJ

21. bendingtens

bendingtens Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Looks like a cool amp. But I hate lines like this, because it doesn't mean anything:

"Juice your tone with a boutiquey vibe."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.