Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Parallel Universe series leaked

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Serenity23, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Love it. Reminds me of my old Chandler Metro...

more guitars for sale 04-17-11 028.jpg

Kebmel, El Tele Lobo, maggieo and 2 others like this.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    April Fools a bit early, eh, Fender?

That Tele with JM pickups looks nice, except it needs a Tele headstock. That, and I suppose a lacquer finish is too much to hope for?

mimmo likes this.

3. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I don't get all the negativity. I doubt i'll be buying any of them, but i like it when Fender release something a little different rather than just change colour options. Clearly they are aimed at a select audience, and will probably be a short run, which might make them collectable in the future.

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I'd rather they had visited a sightly less similar parallel universe.

hellopike and Morgancolgrave like this.

5. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 24, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    These are interesting. I don't hate them, but don't see one that's going to be worth my money. The Jazzmaster tele hybrid would be close to catching an itch if it didn't have the Jazzmaster term bridge. The blue tele les paul, maybe, but does that mean it's going to have a pitched neck like an LP because of the bridge? These would be cooler at a lower price range, maybe be MIM and snatched up as curiosities. At these prices, idk. It's a serious commitment to a weird guitar.

6. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2004
    To me, that looks like a perfect "sit on the sofa with a Pignose and noodle," guitar.

Fiesta Red, El Tele Lobo and LowThudd like this.

7. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2007
    Denmark Solbjerg.
    Yeah and that is the problem.....why not just concentrate make instruments that are good instead???
    All this is just the signs of modern days attention span of 2 seconds.....

Oh it is new...and slightly off the norm...not too much...
    And have a shop that makes the slight oddities for those who wants it somewhat different?
    Make a backbone production that puts food on the table and alittle extra for the future?

But the oneway thinking in profit and more profit, plus short termed strategies...well

8. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I dont see why there are a few people thinking there are QC issues with current models. They've just revamped the American standard line with the professional line and I think they're good instruments. The elite series is nice from what I've tried and people seem to praise MIM models at all price points, standards, bajas, classic series, etc. As far as a solid backbone of models goes they're doing pretty well. The only stupid thing I think they've done (as I said before) was remove the AV series.

moosie likes this.

9. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2007
    Denmark Solbjerg.
    Dunno have been a repair man for a few decades now.....
    And they are doing a Gibson on quite a few guitars in my experience....
    Not the first time either....

Plus all those different models, it is just absurd....
    But hey people are not always too clever about it, and buys their stuff anyways....knock yourself out...not gonna judge them!

10. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    US
    I'd be interested in the surf green if it had humbuckers and was at mim or squire price point. I like the trem.

11. Lupo

Lupo Tele-Holic

May 19, 2014
    Genova-Italy
    I have to say I feel the comments about "partcaster" a little bit snobbish. Apparently for someone Fender is always wrong if was not Leo doing that...

We can like it or not, but I think this is a coherent marketing strategy. It is well known Fender brand is stucked in a sort of "if you improve something you will make it worst" dilemma. That's why if they wont to sell a completelly new concept they have better to go for another FMIC brand.

Their strategy is pretty clear. Under Fender brand they sell a bunch of lines (AVRI, standard, profesional, elite...) that are or as close as possible to the origin or calssic looking "revamped" versions. And then, every year they propose a "project" that is made of limited edictions and FSR. This year are the "parallel universe". These models are not made to sell big numbers, but to fill niches they would not reach with the mainline products. That's it.

By the way, it is quite unfrair, at least for some of these, to say that are "Warmoth based" as this means neglecting some well know custom shop designs. But even assuming that are partcaster inspired models there is another clear point. If I assemble a partcaster (assuming I have the necessary skills) it will be worth a fraction of the price I paied in a blink of your eyelashes. While I can assume those "odd" Fenders will keep part of theri value with time.

Marketing wise filling the small niches with small numbers can be a good strategy that at least create some fuss around. It is also clear that any time Fender tryied to become "modern-looking" instead of doing "something that seems to exist since the '50s" made just losses.

Guitarists are conservative by definition, unfortunatelly

maggieo likes this.

12. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I actually wanted em to be weirder and more organic, not just "throw all the already-existing parts in a box and shake it until a guitar falls out."

Cabronitas were cool because they had a kind of coherent concept; Pawnshops too. But with those precedents, these don't seem very imaginative.

I don't HATE em. I even think some of em are moderately cool. But more interesting Fender-inspired designs come out of the Tele Home Depot pretty much every week...

13. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Well there are always going to be duds where things got out of the factory that shouldn't have but these guitars are just bits and pieces they already make or very close to anyway. Its not going to hinder the other stuff in terms of quality.

I think they do make a few models but I dont think its too many. As far as MIA goes they have the professional series, the elite series and the special series at the moment. 17 models including left handed options where available. Although they have a lot of artist models but I'm sure those who are in to that would be sad to see them go.

moosie likes this.

14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Y'all's some crabby old mofos.
    They're cool!
    Now get off my friggin lawn!

Kebmel, El Tele Lobo, maggieo and 2 others like this.

15. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    maggieo likes this.

16. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia

This is the sentiment I share- I like some of these, but they’re not quite finished or fully realized.. Maybe if the strat body were reversed on the strat/Jaguar or modified the bridgeplate on the Meteora to take a different style pickup then the standard Tele pickup.

Off the top of my head, Ican think of several older models that work with the “parallel universe/divergent history/modified/what if” concept:
    The ‘51, The Super-Sonic, The Cyclone II, The Jaguarillo and the Modern player Marauder

Each one of those were a blend of Fender designs but were actually pretty unique, and not just “X guitar with Y guitar pickups and controls”

To me it feels like each one of the parallel universe guitars needs one or two more design changes to really make them stand with those other guitars I listed.

17. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I like these a lot. At least 4 that I would be pleased to own. They need to add the Jag bridge and trem to the Tele Thinline Super Deluxe though.

Attached Files:

18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

With modern inventory management and just in time manufacturing, in theory it should be possible to make the correct amount of each model and avoid significantly exceeding demand. If it makes some customers happy and doesn't reduce their profit margin then it could be a win-win.

El Tele Lobo, LowThudd and Lupo like this.

19. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Well, they've definitely approached it in a way that requires almost zero re-tooling, just a little copy-paste of CNC code...

El Tele Lobo likes this.

20. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    A little off topic, but as someone who works in manufacturing, I hate “just in time” manufacturing.

maggieo likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.