Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Parallel Universe series leaked

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Serenity23, Jan 12, 2018 at 9:53 AM.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

The parallel universe series is lower risk, and less outlay. Rearrange popular components.

Imagine someone at Fender wanting to take a new body shape, new bridge, new pickups, say a Richlite fretboard and a new headstock shape, or even a headless design.. what would happen?

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I like some of the concepts, more than others. I actually like that Meteora quite a bit. I think being able to go to GC and try out a Telecaster with Strat guts, and a Strat with Tele guts, and find out if you really like it or not, is a wonderful thing.

But in terms of sales and of making money, the typical customer these days is a curmudgeon that probably thinks Clint Eastwood is an untested sprout. People with ossified minds, and tastes. And those "open" to many of these designs have already built their own at some point in the last 20 years. My concern is there's "too many" new choices here and some people will be unable to formulate the will to go out and buy one of these because either:

1) Dunno which one they want the most and therefore won't buy any; or

2) Like one but feel so nauseated by the others, they don't wanna get caught in the overall downdraft as it were, and lay back and wait for next season.

There's nothing wrong with most of these designs. It is IMO the customers/prospective customers that need an overhaul.

Nubs and LowThudd like this.

3. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Fender DID all that in the eighties, and they didn't sell well. There were Contemporary Teles and strats with System one and Kahler bridges. They did new headstocks(Arrow shaped), they did the MIJ Bullet series, and 24 fret super strats with reverse headstocks.

I am quite certain, a certain segment of the Fender loving community hated the change then. But there was no interwebs to complain about it on. lol

4. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I couldn't agree more.

I know these aren't exactly true 100% original designs but let's face it new guitar designs are rarely successful. Look at us we are a forum devoted to the first successful solid body guitar designed and produced and the other 2 popular designs in the top 3 are from the same decade. Fender has tried the new guitar thing before and we've got the jazzmaster and mustang but how many failed designs are in that timeline, bronco, cyclone, marauder, starcaster, Coronado, etc.

Fender has seen that these Strat tele hybrids are popular and that in general some like to experiment either it be a LP with adjusto-matic bridge or a grestch style guitar (although I prefer the carbonitas they've previously done but others have said they like them so...).

Anyway I can see some of these guitars doing well but I do agree the discontinuation of the AVRI series is a bad decision reissues are always going to be popular and in demand.

While some of these pros of getting a production model fender may be a non-issue to many of us (to the point its overlooked):

1) These models will hold value in terms of resale.

2) You don't have to put it together (some people pay guitar techs/luthiers to assemble partscasters).

3) They have a Fender logo (for those inflicted with brand snobbery ;)).

5. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I like the new guitars and see it as having more choices. If you don't like them don't buy them. I also agree that its low risk for Fender. They don't need to do any re-tooling or anything.

My only gripe is the cost....makes more sense to me to do like the Pawnshop series-- make in Mexico and keep the price down. On the other hand, there are players out there that might prefer to
    buy one of these instead of a more traditional American made choice. If Fender can properly handle their inventory and distribution it seems like a win-win. Fender makes a customer even happier
    than they would have been, and the profit margin is about the same as for the more traditional option.

They can launch all of these models very easily, then slowly phase out the ones that barely sell and make more of the ones that seem to be popular.

6. beninma

beninma Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Obviously there is a lot of traditionalism but there's no way they can't try something new and keep the costs reasonable.

Make the new guitar you're experimenting with a super high end custom shop limited edition thing. So you're not building out a super expensive production line only to find out no one likes the guitar. Try to do something meaningful and stick it in the hands of an elite few so the rest of us get jealous and want to buy one. Maybe it will take a few tries.

Then again.. nothing wrong with the traditional stuff either.

7. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    Has worked for Fano, so worth a crack I reckon.

On the whole, players are super conservative in their guitar choices, so this concept is radical but traditional at the same time.

They may die (Swinger, Cyclone, Tornado) or be staples (tele, Strat) or even simmer and be reborn (Jag, Jazzmaster)

Let the market decide and see what sticks.

CP.

ricardo1912, BorderRadio and LowThudd like this.

8. AAT65

AAT65 Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Yeah I like the look of that one. It’s like an updated Pawn Shop ‘51 with a more conventional control setup and no humbucker, if you like.

maggieo likes this.

9. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    At the risk of being called a curmudgeon I would argue that this series does not represent new design. There's more to design than just playing around in photoshop.

They got it right with the Cabronita ( I don't own one)- they had a design concept than made sense and there was a market waiting to buy.

10. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Basically, Fender decided to join the Partscaster business. AllParts, Warmoth, and their ilk may have the most to lose here.

Teleterr and Boomhauer like this.

11. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    As a committed anti-purist, non-traditionalist, a couple of these designs intrigue me.

They seem to be variants of the Pawn Shop and Modern Player designs, except made in America...I've seen similar concepts come out of the Custom Shop as well.

Funny all the shade being thrown here...a lot of people were upset that the "Fender name" was put on those foreign-made instruments (Pawn Shop and Player Series), and a lot of people post complaints about, "They keep making the same thing over and over..." yet when Fender tries something different, some of those same people howl and whine in outrage.

I remember one acquaintance proclaiming my Fender Modern Player Telecaster Thinline Deluxe as "Not a real Telecaster," until I pointed out that it was an amalgamation of the '72 Thinline and the '75 Deluxe (both of which he deemed "Suitable to be called Telecasters“), albeit with variants of P-90 pickups...and then I made him play it...he finally understood.

But as I said, I'm not a traditionalist nor a purist.

If you don't like them, don't buy them, don't look at them and they'll either go away or they won't...if you want something traditional, you won't have to look far, whether you try old or new instruments, but give Fender props for taking a swing.

Teleterr and Mr BC like this.

12. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    The thing with the Pawnshops is they sort of made sense as products of buying a stock guitar and then modding it. Maybe it's because these are all lined up at the same time, but it really just seems like random mix and match of parts and bodies. That's not how parallel universes WORK, man! The parts and bodies themselves ought to be a bit tweaked...

hellopike and Snfoilhat like this.

13. scottser

scottser Tele-Holic

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    Nope, nothing there for me I'm afraid

14. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Oct 26, 2007
    Louisville, Ky

15. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Bingo. Fender's at least attempting something new, while juggling their mainstay guitars (Tele, Strat, Jazzmaster). It's not unreasonable that Fender would have their fingers on the pulse of the guitar industry, starting with places like TDPRI, Strat Talk, and TGP, seeing what people are interested in...given that there are thousands of users that buy brand new $1,000 guitars with the explicit purpose of hot-rodding it, I think it's great that Fender's giving them a head start.

LowThudd likes this.

16. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk TDPRI Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Lebanon, NH
    Parallel universe Spock says... "Fascinating!"

[​IMG]

17. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    Hasn’t there already been a range like this from Squier? Pawn shop guitars or something.

18. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 1, 2011
    MI
    LIKE!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.