Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Original Telecaster Pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Lars F, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    This is just to thank all you fine gentlemen for your previous discussions on low output pickups.
    After reading a lot of old threads and listening to examples online I just pulled the plug on a set of these.
    They will replace the pickups in my humble Classic Vibe Vintage Blond 50's tele, simply because I wan't to try some more mellow and lower output pickups.
    Can't wait to try them!

Thanks again..

Regards,

Lars

jackinjax likes this.

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Meister

Apr 9, 2014
    Wokingham England
    Not sure if these are the same, but I put a set of Fender 'original vintage' pick ups in my avatar Tele (50s Classic). I found that the neck pick up was clearer and the bridge pick up a little smoother, so I was pleased with the upgrade.

I've recently bought another identical spec 50s Classic (but in 2 tone SB) which still has the standard pickups and it's been interesting to play them back to back: I've still got the same overall conclusion, especially when played clean, though I have also found that through my Marshall Mini Jubilee the standard neck pickup works better than the OV one for overdrive.

It'll be interesting to see what you make of the change as I guess your 'standard' pickups might be different to mine anyway (let alone if I've got the wrong end of the stick and your 'new' pickups aren't the same as mine).

Lars F and emisilly like this.

3. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    Hi Kelvin,

Well, it nearly did my head in, as there is quite a bit of confusion regarding the Original Vintage vs Original Tele vs Vintage 52, but I do think they are all the same.

Right now I have the original Alnico 3 in the neck, but have a Kent Armstrong alnico 5 in the bridge. They sound really good I'm just wanting to try a different flavour.

They were shipped from MusicStore.de yesterday and should be here after the weekend.
    Will report my observations then!

Regards,

Lars

KelvinS1965 likes this.

4. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    There's been a few different spec of these pickups possibly up to four revisions. They're all about the same DC resistance but some have a different tone. I've had two different era bridge pickups with subtle differences in tones.

5. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2016
    Australia
    I have these as my main set, certainly a step up from the CV, although my Blonde 50s CV doesn't seem to have the grunt that everyone talks about. The Originals seem to have about the same amount of spice, but with more clarity, richer harmonics if you want to get fancy.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017

6. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    Hi Dacious,

That's interesting, maybe you can elaborate what the difference is between the different revisions..

On the order confirmation from MusicStore.de it reads "Original Tele Pickups", but when they send the invoice later it reads "Original Vintage Tele 52er Set", so they are covering all bases it seems.

Regards,

Lars

7. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Pre-early 2000s they used Alnico 5 magnets. Sometime in the early noughties - 2002, 2003? they went to Alnico 3. You can't tell the diff otherwise and the sonic difference is there but subtle.

The new ones appear to have altered again.

Lars F likes this.

8. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    Hi Mr Scallywag,

That's really nice to hear, that they are nicer than the stock pickups on the Classic Vibe.

It could be, the different pickups that is responsible for the missing grunt. The Vintage Blond have alnico 3's. The Butterscotch Blond and Custom both have alnico 5's, so should sound different.

Regards,

Lars

9. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    Thanks for the info!

Damn, that's annoying - then you will always be wondering if you are missing out.

The set on order should have alnico 3's, hope they sound alright.

Regards,

Lars

10. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I wouldn't worry. I've had the originals in a Partscaster, a 52 with version 2- they're very much nuances on a common theme. The first ones are maybe a little grainier and sharper, the second are smokier and smoother about the same output.

It's not chalk and cheese.

I haven't heard the new ones but I bet there's not that much difference. Nocasters sound much thicker but lose a little clarity and definition. Not they're bad - horses for courses.

Lars F likes this.

11. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    This is what came today..

IMG_0109.jpg IMG_0110.jpg IMG_0111.jpg

Regards,

Lars

12. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    Installed the pickups just now and they sound great. The notes seem to stand out more. Turned the amp up a little and rolled of less treble on the tone control as well.

What other people have notet about these pickups is also my observation; they make the guitar sound like a proper tele.

This is all subjective of course.

Will need to fiddle with the height later as the bridge pickup was a bit loud in relation to the neck pickup.

So far very happy!

Regards,

Lars

13. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    After playing some more last night the conclusion is simple; they sound wonderful.
    They play very nice with pedals as well. Think this is it for me!

Regards,

Lars

14. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone

We used to wonder on this board when guys came on and said 'new 52 - what pickups do I get for real Tele sound's. All of us used to say 'what's in it'

You can change for the sake of changing or for hotter output but Fender did get these pretty right. A very good all-rounder.

Lars F likes this.

15. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    Well said.

To think it took 20 years of owning a tele to get here..

Regards,

Lars

16. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

Glad you are enjoying these; I too think they are great pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.