Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender or G&L

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Guitdrum, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Generic Schmoe

Generic Schmoe Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2015
    Huntsville, TX
    "....should lose around half..."

The local Craigslist is full of people trying to get full retail on their used guitars. But there is the occasional gem like my recently purchased DeArmond M75. $160 and it's in great shape. My current #1.

2. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Yeah ... I'm in Europe but our version of CL is also full of people going for something like 80% of full retail, but their guitars just sit there.

If you look closely then you'll see that what sells is priced a lot lower ... Stuff priced at market price will disappear quickly while the rest just sit there and clogs the marked and gives a wrong impressing of value for the first timers.

You find out what you can get once you actually try to sell stuff :D

Generic Schmoe likes this.

3. matrix

matrix TDPRI Member

Apr 13, 2016
    Vancouver, BC
    Resale is the ONLY possible knock on G&L. They make just superb guitars at each price point. I have one, and I want one more.

This is music...if your ears and heart say yes, dont let the headstock say no.

awasson, srvbluezz and troy2003 like this.

4. Believer

Believer TDPRI Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Mississippi
    I have both G&Ls and Fenders--Strats and Teles. The G&Ls are better guitars. Don't be afraid of 'em.

5. Guitdrum

Guitdrum Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2014
    Syracuse NY
    Thanks guys.
    The Legacy has moved to the top of the list for now due mainly to all your support.
    I’ll be pulling the trigger on one or another by weeks end.

troy2003 likes this.

6. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    G&Ls are cool guitars, but they really have their own thing going on - it is interesting that Leo had moved well beyond what the original Fender models were but toward the end of his life they started coming back to being more like the originals. For example - Dale Hyatt, head of G&L Sales, was the one who really came up with the ASAT (or Broadcaster as they called it - a marketing play because they expected Gretsch to once again object to the name generating extra free publicity); they had to do it while Leo was on vacation. When Leo saw that it wasn't just a copy of the Tele he was down with it. Toward the end of his life he green-lit the ASAT Classic, which was even closer to the original Tele than the ASAT Specials, and also the transition from their own double-cutaway body shape to something closer to the traditional Strat shape.

Current owners BBE Sound have been moving the G&Ls even closer to the traditional Fender designs since taking over after Leo's death in 1991; some of the early G&Ls were really out there - like the X-body Invaders.

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Interceptor?

[​IMG]

8. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    I don't mean to pick one objectionable thing out of your otherwise fine post, and I'm on record telling people that G&L makes nice guitars, but if your Fender Telecaster needs to be tuned every time you pick it up something is very wrong.

troy2003, Generic Schmoe and awasson like this.

9. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Meister

May 25, 2006
    jersey
    Not horribly out of tune....the g goes slightly flat or sharp and sometimes the b.

10. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    You have to compare item to item. Strats Fender better, Tele are a toss up depending on model. All IMHO..only

11. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2017
    Connecticut
    There's great examples of both... I don't think one is better than the other

12. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    At the suggestion of a good friend and a TDPRI member in the last 6 months I've picked up two G&L used. That's where the detraction of low resale value becomes a benefit. Both are Tribute models. One is an ASAT Special and the other an L2500 bass. They arrived in mint condition and sold for roughly half of what a new one would sell for.

I've played and owned a dozen or more Fenders in my lifetime and several now as well as Squier CVs and the G&Ls are equal to or a cut above all but my CS Nocaster. The quality, tone, playability, and features are quite impressive for guitars and basses in this price range. I would not hesitate to recommend either of mine to others.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    lousy13 and troy2003 like this.

13. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Yep; total brain fart on my part - I was thinking of this ^^^ guitar but used the "Invader" name - which is what G&L is currently applying to their Jackson/Charvel/Ibanez-style superstrat models.

14. user34603

user34603 Tele-Meister

Dec 5, 2016
    Richmond VA
    are the Tribute line built overseas of G&L parts and finished off in the USA and a lot cheaper?

15. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    The older Korean made Tribute models supposedly had USA made pickups, but everything else was Korean including assembly. The new Indonesian Tributes are all imported.

The Tributes are well designed and sound great, but can be hit and miss on the QC front.

USA G&L models are uniformly excellent instruments.

16. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    But all those guitars and basses who have MFD pickups use the same ones as the US models and the same Saddle-Lock bridges as well I believe.

17. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Forgot about the MFDs, thanks.

soulman969 likes this.

18. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    They are built in Indonesia by Cortek I believe and they are about 40% less than their USA counterparts. However those that use MFD pickups and Saddle Lock Bridges have the same ones as the US models so in at least some cases the only major difference is the wood and the labor. Overall the USA models have more options available and are a bit better though.

Oh, and the hardshell cases vs gig bags or nothing.

19. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

Jul 22, 2004
    NEPA USA
    I have a USA Comanche, and it's an excellent guitar. The quality of materials, fit and finish, etc. are top notch.

One semi-criticism: I found that the PTB tone control scheme took some time to get used to. What worked on my Strat really didn't work with the Comanche, and I struggled at first. Once you "get it" you have a lot more versatility, but it does take some effort. I never experienced that kind of a learning curve with any other guitar.

As far as the "cool" factor - the unwashed masses might not agree, but I think G&L is at least as cool as Fender, probably cooler - and Leo would agree.

20. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2009
    Montreal Canada
    I know most of you are Telecaster lovers and I have 3 of them: Squier Pro Tone Thinline, American Standard and MIM Nashville, a Strat-ish Tele IMO.

But I am a hardcore fan of the Stratocaster. That does not mean I do not have other types.

I have 23 of them. 10 Fender, 8 Squier, 2 G&L, 1 El Dégas, 1 Epiphone, 1 Jay Turser based Partcaster. All of various series, categories, years, colors & provenances (4 MIA, 3 MIJ, 4 MIM, 6 MIK, 3 MIC, 1 MII, 2 Unknown), not counting 3 Stratoïds (asian Eko Cobra RI, asian Jackson Soloist style & Godin Session). The oldest is the ‘70s El Dégas, the youngest is a 2013 Squier Bullet.

For me, IMHO, a Stratocaster is the essence of the electric guitar because of its look, shape, comfort, versatility of tone ( 3 PUs, 5-way switch ), presence of a vibrato that can be floating, decked, or blocked, playability and finally ease to modify into many different ways ( HB/SC, wiring, Body/Neck/PG swap ).

I can't resist acquiring one I come across that is in good shape at a fair price or very low price if it requires quite some works or offers a good platform for “Partcasting”.

The G & L are both a Legacy model, one MIK Tribute and one 2011 USA. The USA was bought brand new, my only one “Strat” bought new in fact, Why? I had the Tribute first and was impressed. It was in liquidation from a store that went bankrupt soon after.

Two of my friends, who are gigging on a regular basis, are swearing only by Gibson. LP, SG and 335 for one and LP, Firebird for the other.
    Every time I came up with a new acquired Strat I have tried to convince them that they should add one to their arsenal, not to limit themselves to only one type of guitar, etc. I never succeeded until I present them the Tribute Legacy for which, for the first time in years, I saw both of them showing interest. This is what led me to the acquisition of the USA Legacy when this nice opportunity showed up.

So i believe that meets what Commodore64 noticed on post #3. And I agree with his conclusion.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Commodore 64 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.