Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender or G&L

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Guitdrum, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Guitdrum

Guitdrum Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2014
    Syracuse NY
    I’ve been on the hunt for another used Strat.
    I’ve test driven a couple of Am Standards, regular Standards and recently a G&L Legacy.
    They all feel great and I would be happy with either.
    The G&L caught me by surprise though.
    The feel was different in a good way and the stock pickups sounded a little more articulate and meaty to me.
    What are your thoughts on purchasing the iconic Fender vs the G&L?
    I do know a little about the history of G&L.
    Your thoughts and comments are much welcomed.

2. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2011
    Virginia
    General consensus is that G&Ls are very well made. Much like MusicMans

3. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    6 of one, Half dozen of the other.

A little more cred with musicians with the G&L, a little more cred with the general public with the Fender.

Neither of which matters, but it's what I noticed.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

If you like the meaty aspect of the G&L Legacy, can you try a Comanche? The Z-3s are G&Ls meatiest single coils.

[​IMG]

Cheap Trills likes this.

5. jenos

jenos Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    G&L's I've played (few), have been great. However, if you had your heart set on a Fender, get the Fender. If you can get past owning a non-Fender "strat", even if designed by Leo, then go with G&L.

I would wager a guess that the reason most G&L's are returned or sold second hand is the owner at the end of the day just wanted a Fender... I've been guilty of this myself a few times...

guitarmann13 likes this.

6. Generic Schmoe

Generic Schmoe Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2015
    Huntsville, TX
    Could be. I know I've seen some stupid good deals in pawnshops on G&L imports. Saw a G&L Strat (whatever they call it I dunno) for less than $200 at a pawnshop a couple of months ago. If I didn't already have an MIM that I really like I would have snapped it up.

7. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Try playing a Comanche if you can find one! You might be pleasantly surprised.

8. Catawompus

Catawompus Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2014
    Switzerland
    I have a G&L S-500. Workmanship is outstanding. It's just my opinion, but in my eyes it's easily one of the best sounding strat type guitars.

9. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    Agreed

10. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    There's a beautiful S-500 (off-white, rosewood board) in my local shop.

Sadly, my car's needing some preventative maintenance...

11. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    I've got 2 G&L Strat types and S500 (QS Maple on Maple, Transgreen Ash Body) and a Legacy (Maple and Rosewood neck Alder body). I've had them both since 98. I traded out the Legacy Pups for Hot and Cool rails on the Legacy for versatility, hey now position 2 and 4 really are the best sounds ;)
    I also have an ASAT Blues Boy, a thin line Tele on steroids. High quality all 3. Early tribute Legacy's are suppose to be on par with the USA modles and the first few runs had a bunch with USA G&L pups.

12. Guitdrum

Guitdrum Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2014
    Syracuse NY
    1F7AB43F-2B77-4652-8F86-9BE4151901B7.jpeg 5F2040E5-EFC6-4755-9462-A1E08C90DDF1.jpeg 7FC165DA-3686-4D54-9833-E4DDDF588EBF.jpeg Guys I’m really liking your positive remarks on the Legacy.
    It really felt wonderful.
    Quick (maybe dumb) question.
    Are parts for a Fender Strat interchangeable w/ the G&L?
    This is what it looks like
    A 2015 model.

DrASATele and BigDaddyLH like this.

13. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Meister

May 25, 2006
    jersey
    I purchased an asat classic USA two weeks ago from music123....my 98 Tele plus needs to be semi retired. The g&l is as advertised, the craftsmanship and quality is really there. You can feel it the second you pick up the guitar. G&l is on par with fender custom shop imo. The mfd pups really are the dark horse. Roll back the volume a tad and you have classic Tele tones. These pickups really are the final evolution of Leo's "wide range" pickups. And the neck pickup is to die for. One big thing I noticed is that the g&l never goes out of tune while my Tele has to be tuned every time I pick it up.

I've heard even watched a recent video talking about the low resale value of g&l guitars. I bought the asat because in the 30 yrs of playing guitar I have never sold anything I bought. Everything to me is a keeper.

Edit: I'll take pics this wkd...my asat is butterscotch

Catawompus likes this.

14. Catawompus

Catawompus Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2014
    Switzerland
    Depends which parts you want to change. With necks and bodies, no. Pickups shouldn't be a problem. But you will not want to...

cousinpaul and Guitdrum like this.

15. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    I’ll be Devils advocate here. Years ago I had an ASAT. Awesome guitar. The problem was that no one (20 years ago) knew what they were. Just “another Fender wannabe”. A few in the know people absolutely loved them. So, when it came time to sell it, people wanted me to pretty much give it to them. Even at Guitar Center. They said it’s a fine guitar, but no resale value. Too bad it’s not a Fender blah blah blah. I know more people are in the know now, but resale imo isn’t there.

DougM likes this.

16. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Meister

May 25, 2006
    jersey
    I really don't understand the whole fender vs g&l debate. G&l is leo's company built in the original factory on fender ave. The asat imo is the final evolution of the single cut fender guitar. It's a matter of which version of the fender guitar you like most. I understand the low resale value but I consider the g&l every bit fender. I don't know much about strats but the legacy's ptb controls are really flexible....get a Comanche or s-500 you get more tonal options (Tele neck+bridge, neck+mid+bridge)

soulman969, awasson and troy2003 like this.

17. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    Dollar for dollar I think the G&L's are made better and probably a better buy. That said I think that they have different sounds. So get off your rear and try some gear. I don't have a problem with either.
    FWIW i never consider "resale" value. If I want it I buy it. Everybody has a different take. I just want to play the things ... I still have a guitar I bought new in '64. I have a MIK G&L tribute "Tele" which I have been playing a lot because I like the sound. Unless you fancy your self a "collector" don't worry about it. Last time I was in Nashville I was looking at some Tele's that they wanted 40k for .... I don't get it. I just laughed because some idiot will buy it and the termites will enjoy the snack. Buy what you like ... play what you like.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017

18. Guitdrum

Guitdrum Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2014
    Syracuse NY
    I get what your saying as I was thinking about that.
    So if the Legacy and the American Fender played and felt similar, for resale value considerations alone, I might be better off with the Fender seeing that I’m not a gigging player.

19. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa

If you're worried about resale then you buy used. New guitars lose around half of what you paid for then once you leave the store.

Just buy the one you like the most :)

20. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    I agree. Get what you want. If you ever “need” to sell something, anything, in a hurry-you will lose. Today’s buyers are way more informed nowadays and know good stuff when they see it. Personally, I’d but what felt the best and I could afford

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.