Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender offset setup thoughts

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TelZilla, Oct 1, 2017.

1. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    so im setting up my sons Squier Jaguar, which is a sharp guit but heavy as h*ll
    IMG_0561.JPG

Anyhoo, it has what i believe to be a Mustang bridge and a roll bar thing that holds the strings in the saddle and eliminates buzzzzzz
    IMG_0559.JPG IMG_0560.JPG

My issue is with intonation- cant get a screwdriver in there to back those saddles up.

I guess im going to take the buzz bar off and intonate. My worry is that when i put it back on, it will move the midpoint. I guess if the string is tuned to pitch, the midpoint is the midpoint, right?

Thoughts?

Zepfan likes this.

2. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    You can get an offset screwdriver of some kind, or remove that nonsense "buzz stop" thing. I have always been able to take the buzz out of Jaguar and Jazzmaster bridges by making sure each saddle is level, with equal tension on both saddle height "leg" screws. People tend to want to angle the saddles, so one leg is shorter than the other - when you do that, you get buzz from the short leg, because it isn't being pressed down as hard as the longer leg. So, get a new screwdriver or take the buzz stop off and put it back when you are done, or take the buzz stop off and leave it.

I don't see the buzz stop changing intonation, regardless. the height of the saddles and nut, and the distance between them, isn't changed by the buzz stop.

3. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    Thats my thought too. Its his guitar so ill leave the thing.

Just get you a tele, son.

4. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

May 27, 2015
    District of Columbia
    It shouldn't need the buzz stop. The squires and the Classic Players and a few others have the tremolo moved toward the bridge quiet a bit to get a better break angle at the bridge.

That buzz stop thing works great on older jaguars and jazzmasters where the bridge is further away but it's completely unnecessary on that guitar. (And they're kinda ugly)

5. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

May 27, 2015
    District of Columbia

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.