Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Mustang MS4 Footswitch (and the EXP-1 Expression Pedal)

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by TwangyWhammy, Jun 19, 2014.

1. flipintheuib

flipintheuib TDPRI Member

Aug 30, 2015
    balearic islands
    Wow! That's a very nice job! Thank you very much for your answer.
    As you did, I'll add the second switch to the expression pedal.

I see that you really modified the main board in order to hack up the 2 button switch and also to move the stomp button, so perhaps you know, more or less, how everything works.
    I've been thinking how the 4-button footswitch really works and perhaps you can help me out; I was wondering if the mode button (the one that you can select the tuner...) just selects "something" in the footswitch but not in the amp so you can, for example, select QA1 or stomp. This is, it doesn't send any signal to the amp, it just changes a logic state in the footswitch. If it works that way, it would mean that I could "easily" hack the pedal and I would be able create a 9-button footswitch (qa1, qa2, qa3, down, up, bank, stomp, mod, delay) by mapping every function of the 4-button footswitch.

If the 4-button footswitch doesn't work as I mentioned, I think it would also be possible to do what I intend to, but it would too complex for my abilities.

2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    No, i don't think theres any way to do that, and if there is it would need you to create your own logic circuit. WAYYYYY beyond my abilities. All i was doing in physically moving switches and LED's. Even that was crazy tho because the switches in these things are NOT regular footswitches. the Metal buttons you see are not switches. they are buttons with springs attached and when you step on them the springs push cheap little circuit board mounted momentary switches. I won't even go into how some of that had to be done because it was very involved and all physical modding. I used parts from another switch that worked the same way rather than hacking up the 4 button's circuit board as i did with the 2 button. It would have been a lot more complicated.

Anyways, what you want to do is basically modding the logic circuit and it would be far more complicated than I or probably anyone other than someone who designs them would know how to do. By the way, you will need a momentary switch for EXP, and those may be hard to find. Like i said, i did a hack job on another amps switch that uses the same sort of idea with a plastic momentary on a circuit board and a button/spring that triggers it. regular metal footswitches that are momentary may be hard to find. Also, if you take a second LED out like i did you may have to go thru a few to find one that is bright enough without killing the brightness of the one on the EXP or causing odd switching issues.

3. flipintheuib

Aug 30, 2015
    balearic islands
    Thank you for your answer.

I thought about what you said, and I kind of imagined that I would have to modify the circuit logic.
    About the momentary switches, I saw that and from what I've seen (at least the one in the EXP) it is a momentary open switch, although I didn't look at the other side of the main board because I wasn't sure if the springs would go off.
    Anyway, at least I would try to add a second switch to the EXP pedal. When I see the results I'll post them here.

4. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    The springs stay on, but theres really nothing to look at of any value.

5. flipintheuib

Aug 30, 2015
    balearic islands
    Modified exp-1

Hi!
    For now, I just modified the expression pedal by adding a new plug to connect a footswitch. Now I can change the expression pedal behavior without touching the throttle. So, depending on your configuration (like Fender4life did) you can use as a volume boost or you can use it to adjust a second parameter without losing the volume setting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have to say that it was pretty easy, very fast (less than 30 minutes) and quite cheap; the overall cost was about 8$. I still can't understand why fender didn't detach the switch button as I did.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

6. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    While checking out the other pics you have up too, I'm impressed with your creative thinking, electronic and craftsmanship
    skills. :idea: :) :cool:

7. flipintheuib

Aug 30, 2015
    balearic islands
    Thank you very much ;)

I've been using it for a few days and I have to say it didn't work completely as I expected; I thought that changing within expression or volume mode wouldn't affect as long as I didn't touch anything, but what I've noticed it that when I change from the volume mode to the expression mode the volume increases to the maximum. This is because normally I use the volume mode at 80% and I increase it with the volume pedal to 100% when I need it (playing solos...). So, this is why fender didn't detach the switch, so you won't notice this behavior. I thought that the volume setting will stay fixed between changes.

8. poorplayer

poorplayer Tele-Holic

Nov 9, 2005
    Televille
    I had a weird experience Sat night at a gig. Set up the EXP1 and MS4 and tested no problems. But during the gig, the MS4 went blank. I pulled out the cable and reinserted and it reset fine. Happened again at another point. Makes me nervous to use it at a gig again.

9. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Meister

Hopefully it is whatever you used to connect the Exp1 and the 4-button switch. Try a different patch cord, otherwise it could be either if the jacks.

Good luck!

10. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Might be time to spray some contact cleaner in the jacks. ...fairly cheap from Radio Shack.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.