Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

fender Mustang I or Champion 600?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by joshmalory, Apr 24, 2012.

1. joshmalory

joshmalory Tele-Meister

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a little amp for home practise and recording.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. bigmuff113

bigmuff113 Friend of Leo's

I would actually order a fender vibro champ- best of both worlds

3. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

The Mustang series amps are Fantastic and are electronically equipted for recording direct. Mucho effects on tap to boot.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

The Champ 600's a nice enough amp but some (eg mine) can be noisy for recording.

6. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I have had both but kept the Mustang i.You can actually get a decent Champ sound via the Fuse settings plus many more good tones .Its my number one setting .The Champ is fairly good amp stock but needs some tweaking and upgrades .You get the natural overdrive at fairly high volumes so its not a great bedroom amp unless you like cleans or a pedal .For recording get the Mustang,the stock Champ coughs and splutters until modded out .

7. Lazer

Lazer Tele-Meister

I use stock (except glill cloth) Champ 600's. all the time great little amp. You can even
    use them for low volume gigs. I run 2 through the stock speakers or 1 through a
    Celestion gold. They don't cough or splatter at all.

The Champ 600 is a tube amp and the Mustang 1 is a solid state moddeling amp.
    The Champ will give You one great tone, the Mustang some more choices but
    probably not so great. You can get good distortion at low volumes with the 600
    but You need a pedal. The Mustang will give You half decent dist on it's own.
    The Mustang is 20 solid state watts and the Champ is 5 tube watts, so
    the Mustang should be a tad louder, but would probably not sound good at full volume.

I also have a Roland micro cube. It has a decent (but not great) tone. It also run on
    batteries and sometimes I bring it outdoors.

Cheers
    L-zr

8. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted

Fender Vibro Champ XD

$199

9. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

Save your pocket change for a little while longer and pick up a Mustang III, it has all the great characteristics of both smaller amps, plus it is truly gig worthy. I can say that with conviction because I play my Mustang III in a 9 piece band with a horn section and it sounds excellent! Groove Hammer's sound man loves it too because it's sound cuts through the mix without being harsh or too directional ("beamy," as he says).

For $300 you can't go wrong.

10. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Fully Agree
    ;)

11. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

I've been looking at the Mustang IV. Have had an Ultimate Chorus for a long while, that I like, but the Mustang seems to be a whole new generation, technically beyond the Ultimate. Would the Mustang be a logical transition from the Ultimate? I'm an old tube-fan, who's become more accustomed to SS features and FX. Mustang IV owners, give me your thoughts. I play all types of music - and that's why the Solid States are my preference. You can coax just about any sound from them, without a lot of effort.

12. peartcarey

peartcarey TDPRI Member

I started out with the Line 6 Spider IV 15 and stumbled upon the Mustang III when I went in to try out some guitars for my 2nd purchase. After spending about 30 min with it, and particularly paying attention to the Model Fender Amps, I quickly chose my guitar, jumped in my car, retrieved my Line 6 and made a be line right back to GC. At 100 watts, it will do what you need it to do. And who better would know how to model a Champ, Deluxe and a Twin but Fender Themselves. Everyone that has bought one has been delighted. Check out the 10-15 YouTube reviews of the Mustang III. For 300 bones, it's widely accepted as one of the best modeling amps out there. My only gripe is the FUSE software has its hangups, but that's small potatoes to the upside of it. My 2 cents...good luck. Let us know what you decide.

13. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Yes, I think the Mustang would be an excellent transition and would open up a whole new world to you in SS features and effects. I'm convinced that you would be thrilled. :)

It sounds like the Mustang 1 would be ideal for you for practicing and recording. You would have instant access to recording software with a ton of presets to use, already put together by recording pros. The Champ 600 is a cool little tube amp, however you would be limited to THAT sound, whereas the Mustang gives you the capability to acquire just about any tone you are looking for.
    Music Matty posted a video by Jusitn Sandercoe who owns some of the finest amps you can get. He's a big fan of the Mustangs too, and to me, that says a lot.

14. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

15. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i prefer the sound from all the f channels guess that means. a tweed build is in the future with a holy grail for reverb. and ill be a happy camper. i like blues/rock and jazzy tones. metal, is easy to get since its such a sterile sound to my ears anyhow ( im learning to play, so by no means do i have the skill to play fast etc. im strictly talking tone). deep bass/sterile highs any old randal ss with a good distortion pedal will do. no point over paying for the war head because thats what dime used. anyhow, thanks for the videos.
    chris.

16. niilolainen

niilolainen Tele-Meister

I just bought a Mustang I a few weeks back. Just for home use. Did something of a study before buying...

http://axestogrind.wordpress.com/2012/03/27/axeman-on-the-ampage-gas-slight-return/

After having used it now for a while I would summarize:

Pros
    - Price. Got mine for less than $100 new with a GC voucher
    - Effects. Just has everything you could need

Cons
    - Complexity. In order to control all of the effects, especially the Modulation and Delay/Reverb settings you need to have the thing connected to the Fender FUSE software
    - Tone. It just doesn't have the mojo of the mid-size tube combos I've tried in the past

The complexity is a big gripe. I would really like to just have a varying degrees of disortion controlled by a simple gain pot, plus the ability to sweeten it with some reverb.

Overall, I'd say I'm fairly satisfied, but I kinda wish I'd waited a while, saved some cash and gone for a small tube amp such as the Blackstat HT1R. But that would've been 3x the price.

17. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

I am very close to buying a mustang1 for fun at home. No more cablesalad in the livingroom.

18. AndrewG

AndrewG Tele-Afflicted

I got a 600 thrown-in with a US ash Tele a few years ago and ended up giving it away. I really couldn't get a (for me), usable sound out of it.
    I recently bought a Mustang III and couldn't be happier. Want a cranked Champ at any volume? It's there, along with a myriad of good-sounding presets which are very easily tweakable, and much moreso than than the slightly awkward smaller models. I'm an ancient, decomposing technophobe but I found the Mustang simplicity itself to find my way around. Best £229 I ever spent.

19. AndrewG

AndrewG Tele-Afflicted

I don't know about the Mustang I, but with the III both the reverb and gain can be adjusted on the fly-both pots are always 'active'. Also you don't need to go delving into Fuse to alter your modulation effects-they're all adjustable onboard.

20. spayne99

spayne99 Tele-Holic

Mustang I is a nice little Swiss army knife of an amp. My 'real' amp is a Princeton Reverb, but the Mustang sees practice time and I use it to mess around with recording direct. Sounds great at super low late night volume (i have a family). It also comes in handy to get different flavors of sound, with all those built in amp models and effects. I'd choose this over a Champ 600 for the purposes I mentioned.

P.S. I'm not a big fan of the computer/Fuse setup. I hooked it up once or twice just to unlock the Princeton Reverb and Deluxe Reverb models, but otherwise I never hook it up. They should come out with a mobile app version of Fuse to make it more convenient.

21. Walker

Walker Tele-Holic

For home/practicing of those two I'd go with the Mustang I. A lot more versatility with the Mustang and I never particularly liked the sound of the Champ 600.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.