Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Mustang I compared to Yamaha THR10?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by sbpark, Feb 28, 2017.

1. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    The West
    I'll start by saying I love(d) my THR10. Have had it for a few years, but the power supply crapped out, Yamaha wont sell me one (they apparently aren't in stock anymore), and tried to get an aftermarket power supply from Amazon, but contrary to the reviews, it results in a giant buzz through the amp and isn't exactly the same as the original.

I have a minty 1976 Deluxe Reverb, but just want something tiny to replace the THR10 as my coffee table amp where I can just plug in the Tele and get some great, low volume, edge of break up sounds and some reverb. The Mustang I is quite a bit cheaper than the THR10. Is it worth it? Thanks!

2. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Meister

For low volume I use the Blackstar Fly 3W. No reverb, but it has a great sound. It has a very usable OD and delay. Best $60 I 've spent in a long time.

3. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    The West
    I need some verb and forgot to also add some delay for some nice slapjack, and don't want to break out the pedal board. Just something to plug into, dial in a nice sound, practice and write and leave the bigger rig for rehearsals, so given the Backstair doesn't have effects, it might not work, but appreciate the suggestion.

4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Bummer about your Yamaha.

Nothing wrong with the Mustang I, but it ain't in the same league as the THR10.

5. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    The West
    That sucks to hear. I'm always amazed at how good those two little 3" speakers sound in the THR!

RevBillyG likes this.

6. zumzool

zumzool TDPRI Member

May 3, 2004
    Why not just run your THR off batteries. Get a set of rechargeable and you're good to go.

RevBillyG and alainvey like this.

7. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA

8. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 17, 2006
    Prairie Hill, Texas
    I have had 2 THRs and given them away, and am about to buy a 3rd... I love them for what they are. This time around I hope to get an ipad.

I have a nice tube amp but at household volume the Yamaha blows it away.

Now to decide... the original or the black...

9. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    I tried out a Mustang I in a store for a few minutes a couple of years ago. Didn't do much for me. Having said that, last year I bought a brand new Mustang IIIV2 and love it. But when I was looking for a small practice amp, I got one of the original Peavey Vypyrs (not the VIP). IMO, it gets pretty good clean sounds on the Deluxe and a couple of other settings and has built in effects.

10. JCW308

JCW308 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2016
    Telford, PA USA
    Take it a small step up to the M II and you'll be much happier.

11. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    My living room is much louder than most. I never touch my little SS amps any more. I practice with a Super Reverb haha.

foundjoe likes this.

12. LPBlue

LPBlue Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2003
    Markdale, Ontario
    Pick yourself up a $10 universal laptop psu, set it for 15v and enjoy the THR! Most of them come with adapter plugs for almost any machine and there is one that matches the Yamaha.;)

Archtop Bill likes this.

13. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    This is exactly why i keep saying the mustang has one major flaw....you cannot just plug in and find out how good it is in a few minutes. Probably not even for a few days. Thats why you see some people saying they thought it sounded weak. Why fender sets the stock patches so horribly i dunno, but i think this would be much less of a problem if the put some decent sounding stock patches in them, because theres no doubt the first impression people get when plugging in is going to cause many to unplug quickly. I wonder if they have taken that into consideration on the new GT mustang.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

14. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    I have a THR 10C and a Mustang 1 .The Mustang has a 10 inch speaker I installed .The Mustang has always been flabby and boomy on the bass side .The THR gets some fine sounds as does the Mustang .Two different amps really .One ,the THR ,is much more refined but the Mustang is louder and integrates well when playing with others .You can also run the THR into the Mustangs aux input and get it even louder .Fender are upgrading the Mustangs at present so dont buy until they come out .For practice in a room setting I suggest the THR at present .Its just better frankly .
    My Mustang blew some circuits on some settings so has been replaced by a Champion 40 for jamming with friends work .I will check out the new ones when they come out .Incidently someone mentioned the Blackstar Fly .I also have one of these and for blues and rock its just great ...not any of these amps really need so much messing around with .
    I think a lot of critics of these amps are looking for something that costs 1000 USD ,has a 12 inch speaker and spring reverb ,all in little black box .

Cliffyg62 likes this.

15. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    The Yamaha has been made obsolete if the power supply craps out? That's really bad biz. At least the Mustang comes with a five year warranty.

16. LPBlue

LPBlue Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2003
    Markdale, Ontario
    Read my previous post #12

17. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    Read post #1

18. LPBlue

LPBlue Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2003
    Markdale, Ontario
    Noted, however I have used numerous of these power supplies without noise of any kind. YMMV...my results are Canadian @120v 60hz:cool: If the psu was designed for a computer, there should be no noise in the output. Got meter?

19. Octave Doctor

Octave Doctor Tele-Afflicted

Mar 10, 2009
    Morgantown, WV.
    When I bought my Mustang I, I knew there would be some tweaking involved, I don't have a J-Station for nothing. lol. Was hoping things had advanced a bit in twenty years, but the only real difference seems to be the Fender models.

20. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2014
    Midwest
    Maybe consider a 3rd option, one of the Fender Champion series. Its the same amp modeling as the Mustangs, but no digital interface; select the amp from a knob, use the normal 3-band EQ, gain & volume.

I've owned Both Mustang & Champion amps, and although the Mustangs are hands-down more powerful & capable, I'm just not much of a tweaker.

There's an effects knob to select the type (reverb, delay, chorus, various flavors & combinations of each), and an effect level knob. It sounds overly simple, but it works.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.