Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Mustang GT Series Amps

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by pondcaster, Apr 10, 2017.

1. tonezone6

tonezone6 TDPRI Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Romania
    I own a GT100 and just bought a J. Rocket Blue Note and the result is ...very inconsistent [​IMG] no drive at all, just mids & volume boost..
    Tried with deluxe reverb & twin reverb, played with gain/volume/bias settings. No success.

2. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    I was enjoying this --

and wondering how he got that bright, bursting sausage tone. Then the camera pulled back again to show that big Vox amp in the background. I paused the video, plugged an Epiphone Les Paul into my Mustang GT 40, pulled my chair back from the amp, and launched the Fender Tone app on my iPod Touch. Chose the "British 60s" (= Vox) amp, turned the gain way up, and added the '63 Spring Reverb. Then I added the generic Overdrive pedal with its default settings. (That's a nice-sounding pedal, by the way.) Overdrive on top of high-gain? "Too much of a good thing can be wonderful." I played around with various echo and tremolo settings, then set them both to "bypass" for use as needed. (In combination, I thought they were too much -- at least with a tone this fat.)

I really liked what I was hearing, and wondered what it would sound like with a Strat. I expected, going from humbuckers to single coils, to need a boost -- not really! I guess with this much gain, the difference between pickup types is more compression than anything else. But why not see what I could do? I bypassed the first Overdrive and added a second. I had no intention of running them both at the same time; it was more a way of saving two settings in one patch: Overdrive 1 on, Overdrive 2 bypassed = humbucker setting; Overdrive 1 bypassed, Overdrive 2 on = single coil. The only difference, so far, is that Overdrive 2 has a healthy boost of mid frequencies.

Fun, fun, fun!

A week and a half ago I bought a used Boss Katana 50 on Craigslist for $125. That seemed the right price for a year-old amp. I'd played it a few times in stores, so I had a pretty good notion of what I was getting. But even in the parking lot where we met to do the deal, it sounded glorious. This summer, when I was shopping for a practice amp, I looked at the Katana, the Mustang GT, and the Vox VT20X. I didn't have a chance to compare them directly, but when I tried them separately I liked all three and figured I would be happy with any of them. I chose the Mustnag GT on the basis of features, but kept my interest in the Katana. One thing I notice now: the Boss amp is more ruggedly built. It's also louder: I would be confident taking the Katana to a bar, which I would be with the GT 40. The Katana's bigger speaker (1x12" vs. GT 40's 2x6") gives the bass more kick. It has a "mid" frequency knob (which the GT 100 has but the GT 40 lacks). And, I think it's safe to say, finding good sounds is faster with the Katana.

Going the other way: the GT 40 has less bass than the Katana 50, but it also fits comfortably on a shelf, close to ear level when I'm sitting down. I don't move it around, but it's lighter and more compact. The biggest difference, which was very apparent when I was trying to get that Vox tone, is editing. Boss has a nice laptop/desktop editor, but nothing for iPad or Android. (There is a third-party Android app, but the guy developing it has disappeared. Nothing wrong with that: he wasn't asking for money.) Wireless connections, with the Boss amp, are non-existent. The Boss editor is better, in some ways, than the Fender editor, but you must have a computer, whereas the Mustang GT has everything you need on the amp itself. At some point, the external software for editing both of these machines is going to stop being supported, but the GT will still have its onboard editor and screen. I'm still learning my way around the Katana -- in addition to the five amps that you can select from the panel, there are about 20 so-called "sneaky amps" that you can unlock through software, set up as you like, and save to the Katana's preset channels. (A recent firmware update doubles these channels from 2 to 4 on the Katana 50 and 4 to 8 on the Katana 100.) But tweaking the effects, beyond setting an overall effect level, has to be done on a computer.

Which sounds better? I still haven't played them in the same room. When I first got the Katana set up in the guest room, I played the clean channel and thought, "This is what I should have bought this summer." But a few days later I went back and played the GT 40 with my slightly-tweaked Basic Princeton patch. That's a pretty nice sound too. I'm not sure yet which I prefer.

If I knew a young person who didn't have any other gear, I would probably recommend the Katana, because it's easy to find good sounds right away and it's built for performance as well as practice. But for practice and recording? I think the editing can be improved on the GT 40 -- the knobs and app both need to be tuned for acceleration -- but editing the GT is something you can do without a computer. Also, I like having 200 preset slots instead of 4.

I haven't tested enough to see which is better with pedals. The consensus seems to be that the GTs do it better than the previous generation of Mustang, but the Katana is widely acknowledged to take all manner of pedals well. (When I was in Sam Ash this summer, Boss had a display where you could test about 30 pedals, and they were all plugged into a Katana.)

Mustang GT has a looper and tuner...

One more thing: Boss's parent company, Roland, seems to be more responsive to customers than in the past. That's not something I associated with Roland, but I'm seeing it in various areas (synths too).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Cliffyg62, raysachs and DougM like this.

3. Lephthandmaninvan

Lephthandmaninvan TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

May 5, 2017
    Vancouver B.C. Canada
    Get a life!

Georox likes this.

4. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Man, I like em both. Follow your ears. I see a place for both. When I want to explore amps, I can spend a day playing with the gt40. When I want a more standard experience, the katana or the champion 40 come to mind. Both great amps despite what folks who haven’t used them or used them lately may say.
    Thanks for all the detail. I need to try it all out. Oh and my shout out to my faves the bandmaster and Excelsior!

DougM likes this.

5. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    A couple addenda: (1) I forgot to mention that I turned the high cut on the "British 60s" amp down to 0. (2) I now understand why the single-coil Strat didn't sound that different from the humbucker Les Paul. I had the volumes knobs on my Les Paul turned way down from Tuesday's guitar lesson! Turning them back to full produced very different results with the same patch: not bad, but I like the low guitar-volume effect better.

After I wrote about this yesterday morning, I tried to approximate the same tone on my Katana across the hall. I have mine set up to use a Vox clone (Matchless) on one of the preset channels, and it wasn't hard from there to get something similar to my Mustang tone. Tweaking the effects is much easier on the Mustang, though.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Cliffyg62 likes this.

6. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    This morning I worked on an Excelsior patch. Turn up the gain, boost with the generic Overdrive or just EQ gain, and that amp makes some sweet, saturated sounds -- but with more sizzle than I want. I tried EQ to the frequency out, but didn't find it. (That doesn't mean it can't be done, just that I didn't do it.)

Delay and harmonic tremolo to the rescue! My blooming blues lead became a brooding rake or arpeggio. Then I turned down the volume on my Strat down to around 7.5. The attack got soft and velvety. Hence

Velvet Excelsior
    https://www.fender.com/tone/presets/velvet-excelsior-1877579083

Cliffyg62 likes this.

7. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    Last night I was playing around with the GT 40 and noticed a ticking sound, synchronized with the tap tempo light. Turned off all effects, and I could still hear it. The main thing I'd changed in the last month was adding the MGT-4 controller, so I unplugged that at the controller end. Still ticking... Then I tried unplugging the controller at the amp end. That stopped it! More experimentation showed that where I put the controller cable made a difference. Also, the ticking disappeared in looper mode (and any other time that the controller's LED tempo light was NOT flashing).

I was able to arrange the cable in a way that the ticking was inaudible at normal volumes (normal for me, in my study, where I rarely turn the master volume up to much less beyond nine o'clock). Not reporting this as a fatal flaw, just recording it for future reference and possibly help to others who have a similar experience.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

8. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Now I think I know now why so many talk about a muffled sound from the Mustang GT series. I usually play sitting right in front of my GT40, but the other night I sat a few feet off to one side, and the amp sounded really muffled, like I had turned the treble way down. Then I moved to my usual spot right in front of it, and it sounded right again. So, the speakers in the GT40 are very directional. High frequencies roll off quickly off axis. Not a problem in the GT40, which is a bedroom amp, and not going to be in a club or rehearsal where it needs to throw a large soundstage.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 11:45 PM
    Cliffyg62 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.