Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Mustang GT Series Amps

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by pondcaster, Apr 10, 2017.

1. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

I like the one that had the Merlin engine best.

dswo likes this.

2. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina

RoyBGood likes this.

3. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

Fabulous aircraft and one of my favourites. Was pants until it had a British engine though! :p

Great clip - thanks for posting.

4. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 11, 2017
    England
    I've tried hard, but I can't get THAT tone out of my GT-100 ;)

Cliffyg62 likes this.

5. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Dad flew the Corsair F-4U (VMF 124 Checkerboard Squadron), that had a Rolls Royce engine. He loved to brag about the engine when getting into internet debates, up to his death 4 years ago. They'd talk and argue about their planes like we do our amps. He loved the P-51 Mustangs too. He had huge models of these planes in our den growing up. He came out to Colorado in one of his visits, we went up to Estes Park and he found nice metal versions to send home to New York. Great memories....will always have affection for WWII aircraft.

6. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    Fender4life already mentioned this in a separate thread: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/shocking-new-gt-update.774100/

But for the sake of organization and future generations (?), here's the rundown on last night's major update:

How to update firmware: https://tone-support.fender.com/hc/...pdate-the-firmware-on-a-Mustang-GT-amplifier-

If you're using an Android or iPhone, you'll also want to update the Fender Tone app.

Firmware Version 1.5.20 (Oct 9, 2017)
    • New Effect Models (9)
      • Fender Harmonic Tremolo: Straight from the great Fender “Brownface” amps of the early 1960s, this tremolo effect alternately emphasizes high and low frequencies for a distinctively swishing and almost phaser-like sound
      • EQ 5 Graphic: Inspired by the EQ from the Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ amp, this five-band EQ is specifically voiced for guitar
      • EQ 7 Graphic: Inspired by the Boss GE-7 pedal, this seven-band pedal EQ is voiced specifically for guitar, with fine sonic tailoring
      • EQ Parametric: Three-band equalizer with parametric mid control, ideal for dialing in an exact mid-boost frequency for solos or for creating deliberate feedback
      • Vibe Unit: Inspired by the classic pulse of a Uni-Vibe pedal
      • Octobot: A distinctive octaver effect with prominent one-octave-down plus subtle one-octave-up capabilities for otherworldly “synthesized” tones
      • Envelope Filter: Automatic wah effect inspired by the temple-of-funk 1970s popularity of the mighty Mu-Tron III pedal
      • Round Fuzz: Inspired by the 1969 silicon-transistor version of the venerable Fuzz Face distortion unit
      • VariFuzz: A Fender-created fuzz effect similar to Round Fuzz, with the addition of variable tight-to-loose bass tonality
    • Improved Bluetooth connectivity for devices running Android version 6.0.1
    • Improved parameter sensitivity for several amp models and effects
    • Fixed issue with 60’s British amp model where Bright Switch appeared to be non-functional. This is a subtle effect that selects between Normal & Top Boost channels.

pondcaster and Lambieka like this.

7. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    Make you wonder why Fender put this amp out before all of that. I think they shot themselves in the foot by rushing it to market. Many people were turned away by the original offering.

8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Many people were turned off by the shameless hatchet job done by Shane and others. They're boxy sounding? I got news for Shane and a few other, so is my new Helix. That fact is that Fender is making improvements and those enhancements are available to the current owners. That's pretty cool if you ask me.

9. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 8, 2008
    Maryland
    Fender did themselves no favors releasing it before the software was rock-solid, and probably should have had consultation with the more prominent YouTubers who would be reviewing their product first (I heavily rely on video demos before purchasing). I'm really disappointed with Shane's (InTheBlues) initial review. For someone who made his bones on the Mustang, he was very quick to write it off, despite knowing that the Mustang series has always needed fine tweaking (an attitude shared here as well).

10. gwmican

gwmican TDPRI Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Victoria, Tx
    Keep the reviews coming after the new update guys. Thanks

Cliffyg62 likes this.

11. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Shane's fame seems to has gone to his head. I used to like him, but not so much anymore. His opinion is just another opinion, worth no more or less than yours or mine. His latest rant is that all Gibsons are now S***. Make up your own mind. Your opinion is the only one that matters.

Jim Dep likes this.

12. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Thing is, people look at a guy with a ton of you tube reviews and his little logos and theme song and all and think somehow he's a pro reviewer or some such thing. He does nothing anyone else who wants to put the time and effort in can do. I take his reviews for what they are....one mans opinion, nothing more or less as you said. But after some of his reviews especially the GT i now put even less stock in them than that. I see him review some pretty mediocre gear that he raves about then reboxes a amp that had he spent more than a few hours with would have had him changing his tune about the V2 mustang and some other amps he's gushed over.

13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Shane is hardly unbiased. Many don't realize that he has an effects business where he sells products. The internet is a blessing and curse. Much great information out there and also a lot of misinformation.
    Pedal, amp reviews are worthless for the most part in terms of being a deciding factor. Instructional videos are great when they are well done. I don't care what Andy, gearmandude, Shane, Mike Hermans, Phillip Mcknight, Tone King, etc report. However, I do love watching Andy and Mike Hermans videos because they are so good. Hermans is otherworldly.

DougM likes this.

14. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Tele-Meister

You gotta hand it to Shane, he’s made quite a name for himself playing two licks... over and over and over again.

15. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Come on, give him more credit than that ! He knows at least 3 and possibly even 4. :D

pdcorlis likes this.

16. bkart

bkart TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Maryland
    Does anyones amp sound worse because of Shane? These days he doesn’t take as deep a dive into products like he used to. Who cares either way, I’m happy with my GT40 and I enjoy Shane’s channel still. Hit unsubscribe and take a deep breath.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

17. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    It's not just Shane. Everyone with a youtube channel that reviewed it thought the Mustang GT sounded like crap.

Georox likes this.

18. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I agree. Mike Hermans is so good he makes EVERY pedal sound awesome.

19. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    GT40 and his lil buddy Code 25 sawlll covered...

20. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    Your tips for the Vox ("British 60s") model?

With single coils, anything above very clean sounds "fizzy." I spent some time fiddling with it this morning, and switching the sag from matched to less fixed it.

Other tips, suggestions?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.