Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Mustang GT Series Amps

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by pondcaster, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    Quite a list but I don't see anything that will help with how the amp sounds.

2. jamblehamblebum

jamblehamblebum Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2010
    morecambe uk
    they look plastic and horrible , theyd have to sound considerably better than the super champ xd . for me to want one , in fact no , i dont want one . they got it right with the xd .

sparkz likes this.

3. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 11, 2017
    England
    Sounds fine to me, but personally, I wouldn't buy an amp that sounds bad.

Jim Dep likes this.

4. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    I like how responsive Fender is. I will do the upgrade on my GT 100 today. The upgrades are very easy to do.

I like the idea that when you turn the amp on it will go to the last setting. I use almost exclusively a set list so I would think I would then already be in my set list when I power up.

Minor comment; I look down at the floor all the time when I'm playing and chuckle thinking, "what am I going to do with these pedals I don't use anymore?"

Jim Dep likes this.

5. sparkz

sparkz TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Southern California
    The amp models sound considerably better on my GT 40 than my XD, X2 to mustang III that all used a prior version and less powerful Fender DSP to model ALL amp sounds and effects.

Sold my XD and Mustang III v2. Finally after significant surgery on X2 with tube amp feedback loop redesign, switched cathode bias on 6v6s, and replacement of op amps and DSP with new tube sections, output transformer swap, and a ragin Cajun speaker swap I now have a great all tube Superchamp X2 amp that sounds as good as a few of the GT40 amp models most notably the Tweed Deluxe.

Can't speak for gt100 or gt200 cuz I've never tried one but the gt40 is a fabulous amp.

pondcaster and Cliffyg62 like this.

6. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    What DSP chips do the Mustang GTs use?

7. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    The latest upgrade for the GT 100 was a piece of cake, took all of 5 minutes.

sparkz, Jim Dep and Cliffyg62 like this.

8. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    STMicroelectronics

9. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    Which chip?

10. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    STM32F103...actually that's the MCU. Looks like the DSP is an NXP product...DSP56725.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    sparkz likes this.

11. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    These are the chips in the new Mustang GTs?

12. dolfer

dolfer TDPRI Member

I'd like to hear from any Mustang III v2 owners who have bought the new GT 100. Are you glad you upgraded? I was waiting for an amp like this but was disappointed when I heard all of the iffy reviews. Also concerned about the big weight drop between the two.

Vespa_One likes this.

13. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    Final gt100 update. Life was great in gt land, I was very pleased with the amp. Then one day I was playing and the volume dropped in 1/2. I figured I must have brushed my volume knob on the tele. I turned it back up but it had to go a long ways to get back up to volume. About an hour later I'm still playing late at night with headphones and the amp just about blew my ears out as it spiked in volume!

The next morning the volume was 1/2 again. I went through every type of reset including the forced reset. Wifi started failing, then Bluetooth failed and I realized I had spent a couple hours messing with the amp while my guitar just sat there.

I called Sweetwater, got my return label and back it went. A Roland Blues Cube Stage is on its way to me now.

What a shame, I really liked the amp. I know myself well, even if I had succeeded in getting the GT100 working properly again I would never trust it not to fail again.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Bill and dolfer like this.

14. StuRox

StuRox NEW MEMBER!

Sep 22, 2017
    Orlando
    I agree that putting a classic speaker in isn’t a solution. My opinion is most people don’t know how to make the adjustments on th GT because it is in there. Most don’t know what the real amps sound like. For me; I’ve owned some of the best tube amps made and can honestly say the Mustangs are phenomenal. People trying to emulate the EVH sound probably go to the 80’s amp or even the 70’s plexi. I started there but found his sound in the Bassman. Just because Wddie didn’t use baseman’s to my knowledge it doesn’t matter. I added the black box (rat distortion) in front and made
    Some adjustments to the amp and the pedal. Bam- found it. I also found Jimmy page tone in there.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

15. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    This post gets it. I’ve just revisited the Marshall code 25 after a couple of months and I found an amp I’d never tried with an old guitar I thought was going to become a test case for learning to solder and produced one of my favorite tones ever. I’m not very good but this combination knocked you socks off. It’s frustrating. The Code series is great. I’ve never even updated the firmware. If you want to explore Marshall sounds and don’t have access to a $50,000 stable of equipment it’s a great way to find out what you like. The mustang GT series came out undercooked and I can’t speak to the gigability of the larger ones but the 40 does the same for the Fender series. It sounds great. The Vox Adio is an awesome device and I love its look. If you can’t find good tones on these things then either you have too specific a need and should save up your cash or you really don’t know what you’re doing.
    For working non pros these are incredible devices. For those exploring or those who like playing whatever they feel at the moment they are the most affordable way to go. Trashing them is non constructive and will mislead many into never trying them or worse put off potential players all together making them believe the entry fee to the world of music is unattainable.
    Anyone out there who is interested, try as many devices as you can. There are small things that attach directly to your input jack starting at 10 to 15 bucks. For a little more, vox had a great series. A smidgen more and you can get a used blackstar fly 3. If you can get there you’re 8n great shape. Those are awesome even though you’ll see some negative posts. Keep reading and look for people who have really played them. I keep one right next to me in the living room. Cable ready, Guitar nearby. When you’re ready to branch out further, Marshall code 25 way affordable and great sampling of Marshall sounds. No won’t replace thousands of dollars of equipment but good sounds. Lil more, fender GT, Katana, Vox all great options. Depending on Your Guitar cost you’re playing for under $500.
    I’m just trying to counter what appears to be either really narrow opinions written without proper qualifications attached or just unhappy or biased comments. Had I read this stuff first I’d probably have left playing behind. Glad I didn’t.
    Find some noise you like and make it till your hearts contented...
    Oh, ladies, please join in. These post seem to be a bit demographically skewed. Everyone can play. If it makes you happy, just do it.

Grodad and grooveiron like this.

16. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    Is this with the Bassman, StuRox?

Apropos of nothing in particular, I've been exploring the "British 80s" model for the past two weeks. Gain half up, it's deliciously squishy with humbuckers. I'm not sure about a clean boost, but it works well with every overdrive pedal I've tried so far.

I don't dismiss the problems people have reported. I've seen one or two myself. I wish I knew where I could send suggestions: there are a number of ways I think the interface can be improved. But I play through the GT40 almost every day, and it's a lot of fun. I also enjoyed the Marshall Code, Boss Katana, and Vox VT20x when I tried them in stores. Maybe I'm just easy to please! Or maybe there are a lot of good options right now.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

17. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I think there are a lot of good options right now. I played the GT40, the Mustang I (v2), the Blues Cube Hot, and a few of the Vox amps (VT20 and 40X) a LOT and tried the Katana 50 and a few others briefly. If I'd wanted something that I could play loud as well as quiet, I'd have gone for the Blues Cube or a Katana. But I'm a man-cave player these days and volume isn't my friend and the Fenders and Vox models were more in my wheelhouse. I preferred the interface and ease of getting great sounds out of the Vox models, but I'd have ultimately been happy with the GT40 as well, once they finish ironing out the wrinkles. And I'm liking having presets I can call up at the touch of a button rather than having to always play around dialing in a different sound, so I might have gone for a modeler even if I was playing with a band again and needed volume. I might well have gone for a larger Vox (VT100X) or Fenders or the Katana 100.

Not a bad time to be into guitars...

-Ray

Cliffyg62 likes this.

18. Lambieka

Lambieka TDPRI Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Europa
    In a while I'll buy a GT40. It's cheap ( €200 , new ) and shag I can do with it is a lot.
    I'll have more possibility's than with the mustang v2 ,
    witch I use last year for creation sound with.

Question:
    Is it true that the amount of effect pedals is more than 4?

Did anyone stack more than 1 delay pedal in the signal path and how well did the processor cooperate whit it?

English ain't my native language
    and I hate typing on a smartphone

Cliffyg62 likes this.

19. Lambieka

Lambieka TDPRI Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Europa
    I'm freaking with de modeling stuff
    Its amazing what You can do

The looper is an issue for me to buy the gt40
    Because I also have to buy a footpedal to have the looper operating succesfully ( 1/3 of the price of the amp so I will wait while , I'm not in a hurry )

For now I combine two modeling devices with a mixer
    I split the signal 3 times. It hits the mixer 5 times
    Experimenting with different sound settings and blending them together

Jim Dep and Cliffyg62 like this.

20. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Wow I have a mad project like that in the works. Experiments in gain stacking. I still can't figure out the wiring. Glad I'm not the only mad scientist our here.
    Did you know you can use the old foot switch. I have one from the mustang v1. Fender has a template somewhere.
    Good luck on your experiment. Keep rocking

Jim Dep and Lambieka like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.