Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Mustang GT Series Amps

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by pondcaster, Apr 10, 2017.

1. 9fingers

9fingers Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2012
    WV
    Being proactive and positive almost always works out best for all concerned, vendor and customer.

pondcaster and Jim Dep like this.

2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I just discovered why my footswitch is buggy. The EXP1 expression pedal ! If i only use the footswitch it works perfectly. I only use the exp one for a volume boost to get about a 10% boost for solos or loud parts, so i now do it with the FS. I have come to this switching scenario which works great for me and allows me to do everything i need with 3 buttons. I never use more then 1 model in a given song, and in fact usually use the same model all nite. And i use delay, but i leave that on all the time and never turn it off. (just very little delay) And the only other effect i use is chorus, which i DO need to switch on/off and only use maybe one song out of 10. So what i'm doing now is putting my main patch in slot 1, a slightly louder version of it in slot 2 for my volume boost, and in slot 3 the same as 1 but with chorus. This way i don't need the effects mode because i hit the 4th button for chorus and the 3rd for solos or whenever the volume has risen to where i need a bit more. It works perfectly and gives me everything i need for band use. And when i use chorus itls always for songs that are cleaner and a volume boost is rarey necassary so no problem with the volume boost slot having no chorus. And if i DO want a different model i can put it in slot 4, 5 and 6 with the same layout. Then i can use 7, 8 and 9 for yet another model, etc etc. I can access them with the data wheel between songs because as i said i never change models in the middle of a song and in fact usually use the same one the whole nite anyways.

Obviously this won't work for many others but it completely eliminates all my switching issues and my 4 button no longer freezes or does other bugging things. Would i prefer a different scenario? Yes, ideally, especially if i want some effect i rarely use but thats a very minor issue and if i wanted i could create another 3 patch set for that. So while i'd prefer a different way for getting my sounds, as Nigel once said, "thats nit picking innit" ? :D And as i have always said, no matter how restricted i am with this amp, the worse case scenario still gives me much more switching options than any of the tube amps i used for decades.

3. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    Ten days ago I asked a couple questions on the Fender forum. No answers there, but maybe some folks here can comment:

1. Do the bass, mid, and treble controls cut frequencies, boost them, or both? Or does it vary according to the amp model? (There were several responses on the forum, but they were all about how the amp should work, not what it actually does.)

2. According to this https://tone-support.fender.com/hc/en-u ... -Tone-app- "You can edit your public preset's name, description, and genre even after its been posted." How?

In related news: I'm still having a great time with this amp. I would probably have been happy with the Vox and Boss amps too.

pondcaster likes this.

4. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2017
    England
    There are many types of tone stacks. The 'Baxendale' type is 'flat' at 12 o'clock and cuts when twisted to the left and boosts when turned to the right. MOst new amplifiers use this configuration.

Other amplifiers treat each frequency range as a separate channel, so full anti-clockwise, nothing comes through at all.

Simpler amplifiers, only have a treble cut knob, which works like a guitar tone control.

So, the Mustang GT models whatever tone stack the original amp has. It varies by amplifier.

I haven't done this but looking at the instructions says it can't be done on Android at present. It should work in iOS though.

5. cucuy13

cucuy13 NEW MEMBER!

Aug 4, 2017
    US
    Heads up, Fender Tone for Android has been updated and they've added community presets functionality. Works well so far.

6. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    Did you ever figure this out? In four weeks I've had two sudden volume jumps. It's as if the volume knob got bumped and the amp jumps from the preset volume to the knob volume.

7. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    Got my GT100 a few days ago. Having fun with it. Everything works as advertised, no problems with firmware updates, Wifi, Bluetooth or the Tone app. I like a number of the presets as starting points and I found a few more on the Tone app I like.

I was very surprised how easy it was to navigate the controls.

I sold my Blues Jr in order to buy a Katana 50. The 50 was a nice amp with a good sound but the software would not work on my laptop. I thought I would just use it without the software but I changed my mind. I sent it back to sweetwater and got the GT100 from them instead. So far the change is for the better.

8. bakersfield2014

bakersfield2014 Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2014
    Helena Montana
    I spent a week with my GT200. Unfortunately it was the worst amp I have owned to date. All the models seemed really one dimensional. All the overdrives either killed all the top end or bottom end. The Silvertone model was the only one I though was alright. This amp does not take OD pedals well. It was the only amp that made my SHOD sound like crap. The earlier Mustangs weren't great with pedals either but this is dreadful to a whole different level.

The app didn't work with my droid device either so this was definitely a strikeout as far as I'm concerned. Next to my V4 and Fender Tube amps this thing was just dreadful. I was really hoping it would be the next step up. I think they spent more time trying to work on the gimmicks and not the sound. It defintely sucks that you can't use the computer to edit it either. Maybe it will work for you but It didn't work out well for me.

9fingers and homesick345 like this.

9. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    Give it a few more months, swap out the speakers, and wait for more update fixes.:D

walleyeman, luckett and brobar like this.

10. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    Yes, don't return it. Keeping it encourages them to keep working on their poorly developed products. Contact the Fender rep and hold them accountable. Tell them you want them to make it right.

11. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    They'll eventually fix it... that fix may come in a v2, but they have to eventually get it right since they stopped production on their best selling amp to put this GT out there. And I'll bite when they do make it right.

But no hurry on that... I'm having too much fun with these guys in the meantime to worry about helping Fender beta test a product that just isn't quite ready for prime time yet. Sometimes you knock it out of the park. Other times you swing and miss. They can't ALL be homeruns!

IMG_4725.JPG IMG_4729.JPG

walleyeman, Bill and Vespa_One like this.

12. bakersfield2014

bakersfield2014 Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2014
    Helena Montana
    I returned it. I don't want to pay $600 to be a product tester for them. Maye in a few years I will look into it again. For $600 I expect a product to be good and ready to go. Hopefully they'll figure it out someday. I am going to find myself a used Mustang IV for right now to take over as my gigging amp.

13. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Tele-Meister

I'm holding out for the Super Champ GT. That should be interesting...

14. walleyeman

walleyeman Tele-Holic

Jan 2, 2009
    Hills of Arkansas
    This is the best TDPRI thread of all time.

72 pages and going strong! :lol::twisted:o_O:lol:

15. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Hehe... as long as they don't GT it like the GT'd the Mustang!

Georox likes this.

16. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    Who wouldn't want a Super Champ with bluetooth and wifi that doesn't work and the tone of a 2" speaker?

Georox, homesick345 and walleyeman like this.

17. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Tele-Meister

Oh ye of little faith...

18. walleyeman

walleyeman Tele-Holic

Jan 2, 2009
    Hills of Arkansas
    Hilarious!!!

19. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    You change a speaker on an amp you already love, to enhance a certain character, or change a little something. I did this on the mustang IV, mixing the celestion with a WGS alnico, which further warmed things up. No speaker change will ever correct a total lemon, or make a bad amp sound good.

20. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    Today Fender issued updates to the amps' firmware, the iOS app, and the Android app.

Instructions to get the firmware update: https://tone-support.fender.com/hc/...-to-update-firmware-on-a-Mustang-GT-amplifier

Mustang GT Firmware Version Release Notes
    Version 1.4.19 (Sept 13, 2017)
    • On start-up, the Mustang GT will now load the last used preset rather than defaulting to preset 1.
    • Added a gain control for USB audio recording in the AMP SETTINGS menu.
    • Added a PRESET ORGANIZER menu item and moved the CLEAR PRESET and RESTORE PRESETS options into this menu.
    • Added a MOVE PRESET option in the PRESET ORGANIZER menu.
    • Added wrap around functionality to the SAVE AS preset list.
    • Fixed issue where the amp would reset to preset 1 issue after clicking Bluetooth RENAME in the menu.
    • Fixed issue with Global EQ settings not being sent to the Tone app resulting in differences between amp and app displays.
    • Fixed issue with Fuzz stompbox model where the Octave control was non-functional.
    • Fixed issue with the 60’s British amp model where the Cut control was non-functional.
    • Fixed issue with ‘59 Bassman amp model where limited number of cabinet models were available. All 16 cabinet models are now available.
    • Implemented enhancements to LOOPER.
    • Implemented enhancements to SETLISTS.
    • Various other bug fixes and enhancements.
    Fender Tone for iOS Release Notes
    v1.1
    (September 13rd, 2017)
    Please update your amp to version 1.4 or higher for best results.

NEW FEATURES
    • Re-order presets within your list
    • Name and rename your Setlists
    • Toggle "Kill FX" from a preset detail to temporarily mute all effects and hear just the amp model
    IMPROVEMENTS & FIXES
    • Improved experience for creating presets and Setlists, navigating the app and adding effects
    • Fewer "Amplifier sync in process" messages
    • Fewer prompts to update your amp when it's already up to date
    • Fewer Global EQ issues

Fender Tone for Android Release Notes

(September 13th, 2017)

NEW FEATURES
    • Name and rename your Setlists
    • Toggle "Kill FX" from a preset detail to temporarily mute all effects and hear just the amp model
    IMPROVEMENTS & FIXES
    • Improved Bluetooth connectivity
    • Fewer "Amplifier sync in process” messages
    • Fewer prompts to update your amp when it's already up to date

Cliffyg62 and Jim Dep like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.