Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Mustang GT Series Amps

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by pondcaster, Apr 10, 2017.

1. 9fingers

9fingers Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2012
    WV
    I would love to talk constructively to someone at Fender. The amp is very much worth de-bugging. I don't know what department to call or who to ask for. How did you get through to your responsive rep? I do believe in Fender as a company and if we work together maybe we can make some progress on getting this fine amp more user friendly.

2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Just call the # on thier website under "contact us" and ask to talk to a customer rep. Ask for Brett if you wanna talk the same guy i did. Or maybe Nathan who seemed more concerned with customer ideas for changes made than Brett, who seemed more concerned with fixes than customer wants/desires.

Cliffyg62 and dswo like this.

3. 9fingers

9fingers Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2012
    WV
    Shall do, thanks!

4. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    By the way, try that plexi model with the gain up and no compressor. I think it's actually better that way. Very natural feeling and sounding. I crank the bright and presence on that and it sounds great. Can't wait to try it saturday at a jam.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

5. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    Yesterday I got my Mustang Iv2 out to rationalize the presets. (Broadly speaking, I made all of the "British 60s" slots a Vox, and so on.) Found a "Woody Marshall" preset that sounds fabulous on the Iv2 and my GT 40; also worth trying with a Greenbox (Tube Screamer) in place of the Blackbox (Rat).

https://www.fender.com/tone/presets/woody-marshall-906802283

Also: Fender updated the iOS tone app slightly:

What's New in Version 1.0.7
    This update has some small improvements and fixes.
    We encourage you to update your amplifier to at least version 1.3.5 for best results. You can get help with this and anything else at http://tone-support.fender.com

Improvements to:
    • Look and feel of Tuner screen
    • Bluetooth connection process now has distinct buttons
    • "Delete Preset" renamed to "Clear Preset" to better reflect the action
    • Messaging around unavailable effects due to preset memory restrictions

Fixes to issues with:
    • Selecting and creating new Setlists
    • Selecting more than one amp in Bluetooth connection​

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fender-tone-guitar-effects-for-mustang-gt/id1174113426?mt=8

Jim Dep and Cliffyg62 like this.

6. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    One thing I happened to notice: Fender's "British Invasion" preset is a British 60s amp (= Vox AC30) in the v2 presets, a British 80s (= Marshall JCM 800) in the GT presets. See https://www.fender.com/tone/presets/british-invasion-5583585.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

7. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 11, 2017
    England
    Yeh, in the '60s in the UK, you either had an AC30, a Selmer Zodiac or a Dallas Buccaneer. There were a few Watkins Dominators and other lesser brands but the AC30 was the one to be seen with. I had several around that period. One was a complete dud, the others were okay. Then I moved onto Marshall, and then Fender and I've stuck with Fender ever since.

8. bakersfield2014

bakersfield2014 Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2014
    Helena Montana
    Does anyone know what load the OT on the Mustang GT200 wants to see?

9. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    It's SSolid state so it has no OT. But the SS power amp is 4 ohm. The GT200 is stereo power so each side is basically the same as the GT100, IE: two 100 watt power amps that each want to see 4 ohms. I used a 8 ohm speaker for a while with my GT100 because it just sounded a lot better than the stock speaker but once i knew i didn't like the stock speaker i bought a WGS ET90 in 4 ohm. Used it Saturday in a band setting and it was much better. You can use 8 ohm speakers and it will be fine but the volume level will suffer slightly.

10. bakersfield2014

bakersfield2014 Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2014
    Helena Montana
    Thanks!

11. 9fingers

9fingers Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2012
    WV
    Re, GT 100 issues:
    I did contact Fender about my android devices not connecting to Tone & other concerns regarding the GT amps. i spoke to Chase there who was very helpful. No android devices under version 6 will work (which includes both of mine). preferably Android 7. It would be great if they told people that in the amp description prior to us purchasing. I am not rushing out to spend a couple hundred more on a device to control the amp so I am stuck doing everything on the little window in the amp.
    He said they hear all the time about switching limitations, the desire for a PC editor, bugginess of the Bluetooth connections, etc and he would convey my concerns to "development". There will be upcoming firmware updates, slowly addressing some of these things. The more people who communicate with Fender, the better our concerns will be addressed. It is kind of like we are "helping" Fender develop this amp. They released a very unfinished product with great potential, so if we can be proactive, we can influence its future somewhat.
    I called 844-202-0924 and found Fender to be very responsive.

pdcorlis and Cliffyg62 like this.

12. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    As much as I respect your proactive advice, and reckon in many situations it might work - I don't know here if I would really advise to go this route, thus condoning - and probably encouraging - Fender to continue and develop such behavior, in putting out bad or half baked products...

Alas, for all who bought that amp, of course they want Fender to fix it...

walleyeman and Georox like this.

13. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Looks like andy 6 is now the cutoff. Wonder if it was in the fine print?

14. 9fingers

9fingers Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2012
    WV
    Good points. I am speaking for the people like me who do own the amp. As good as it SOUNDS, there are enough unresolved aspects that I could not recommend buying a GT at this point in development.

Georox and homesick345 like this.

15. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Tele-Meister

May 6, 2012
    Rogers, Arkansas
    Wow. There's been a lot of strange posts during the course of this thread but this one takes the cake.

The only thing that encourages or discourages a company is sales. If after the sale you are not satisfied with the product you bought you absolutely should hold the company accountable and expect them to make it right. The only person you punish by refusing to give Fender feedback is yourself.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

16. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    RETURN IT

...and not play R&D for them.

17. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    I think you got this backwards. The only thing that encourages sales is well developed products.

Encouraging a company to further develop a turd they dropped into the market by buying it and giving them feedback is not how most rational people would approach a purchase. Sane people would avoid buying a poorly developed product like the Mustang GT and purchase from a company who properly develops their products before releasing them to market.

18. Gymbow

Gymbow TDPRI Member

May 14, 2017
    USA
    That's what I did. I think the product has potential, but not in its present form. I'll wait for a GTv2 and continue to play my MIIIv2 in the meantime.

Georox, Bill, 9fingers and 1 other person like this.

19. 9fingers

9fingers Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2012
    WV
    I have no stores near me and bought a floor demo of the GT100 on line at a discount (with full warranty). If wanted to return it I would have had to pay full shipping for both ways, probably $60 or $70. That tipped me into keeping it. If I could have done a clean return I would have done the same - returned the GT & happily played my MIII v2 with switching & an editor that works, waiting for a GT version with the bugs worked out.
    As it is I will keep the MIII and make the best uses I can of the GT. With the improved modelling I plan to use it for home playing and recording, where the switching doesn't matter so much. It does have upsides in the pure tone department, and is not that expensive.

20. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Tele-Meister

May 6, 2012
    Rogers, Arkansas
    Lots of poorly developed products have great sales. That's what marketing is for.

I think modelling amps are more like software products than traditional audio gear, so it makes sense to work with vendors after the sale in a deeper way than you would ordinarily.

Besides, if the person who bought the amp (despite you clearly knowing knowing what is best for him) finds some value in it, it's in his interest to work with the vendor to improve it. And imho there is a lot to like about these amps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.