Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Mustang GT Series Amps

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by pondcaster, Apr 10, 2017.

1. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Well that seems a little shady! I don't care if an item was returned in as new condition... if it has left the hands of the store and returned at a later date... that is an open box item!

GuitarCenter is showing open box availability of the entire GT line... as is Musicians Friend. Zzounds, AMS and SamAsh all have open box listings for the GT 40. And I'm seeing some 200s and 100s on Craigslist and FB marketplace... so there are definitely some used ones to be had if someone is looking for them.

2. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    My Mustang III v1 is a great amp. No problems after owning for years. Sorry you got a lemon. You should have returned it instead of keeping it and always complaining about it.

Staypuft1652 and Cliffyg62 like this.

3. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I have caught my local Guitar Center doing the exact same thing. They took a defective pedal and put it right back on their active inventory.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

4. 9fingers

9fingers Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2012
    WV
    Well, I got the GT 100, have done the firmware update, and have the WGS ET90 4 ohm installed and pretty well broken in (put it on Studio Preamp, turned the bass way up, put Zeppelin II on repeat through the aux, turned it up pretty darn loud & left the house for 5 hours - mellowed it noticeably). The stock speaker is not bad at all and does give a nice sparkle to clean sounds. The WGS is deeper and richer. I had to add some mids and cut a bunch of bass on clean tones with the WGS. it does sound good once adjusted for. I'm sure it will excel at more cranked tones.
    I have gone through the basic programming/tweaking procedures and have my 4 button & Exp switches/pedal working. In just a short time, tweaking and saving a few presets I can tell this is going to be a great sounding amp.
    I do have a bunch of questions about switching the thing for live use and will start a new thread on that. Thanks for all the info on the amp everyone and look for the new thread.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

5. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Oops, i forgot you aid u got the wgs and mentioned you should get one in your other thread ! DOH ! I got some settings for ya once you have a chance to settle in. And yes, the wgs sounds WAY better turned up. I didn't realize how much till i compared them by throwing the stocker in there the other day as a reality check and turning it up then doing the same with the wgs. they;re a galaxy apart as stage volume goes.

6. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    .....and the train switched tracks but continued in the same direction.:D

7. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Just played around with the gt40. Hours worth of messing and no bad tones. Do some set it on a bad preset then complain or is the standard a Mark V? Anyone interested audition, play through the first few sets that seem like your sound then go down to the cleans and set basic settings toss in pedals to taste and see... can't and won't speak for the big boys but the baby brother is just fine...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    jakecentric, sparkz, Jim Dep and 2 others like this.

8. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Hmmmmmm and you'll play more regularly so who needs fiber???
    http://www.theguitarmagazine.com/gear/amplifiers/fender-mustang-gt-40-gt-100/

9. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    I wouldn't expect nothing less than stellar rave reviews from any outfit that sells Fender gear or advertises Fender products. It's in their contracts that they are not allowed to say a bad word about Fender or their products lest they lose the right to sell and/or advertise Fender. That's why when it comes to product reviews (ESPECIALLY Fender), I only put stock in what owners of the amp have to say. Sellers of Fender (like Andertons) and media that accepts advertising dollars from Fender (like the guitar magazine) aren't going to give an honest, unbiased review... they aren't allowed to.

That being said, I'm not saying the GTs aren't everything and more this glowing review says... I'm just saying take Fender reviews from places like Andertons and guitar magazines with a grain of salt because they will never be 100% honest and truthful unless the product being reviewed really IS the greatest thing since sliced bread! =)

My own personal experience with the GT line (or the GT100 anyways) wasn't anywhere near as glowing as this review. But *I* can say that because I don't sell Fender products nor accept advertising dollars from them.

Georox likes this.

10. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    Georox likes this.

11. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Dude please don't respond anymore. You're not adding...

Lephthandmaninvan likes this.

12. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Yup... nothing on the fiber tho. ...

13. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    When I think of fiber (at least from a supplement standpoint) I think of something reliable, dependable, something you can count on to "work" as it should every time. I haven't gotten that feeling from the GT quite yet. Some people look at fiber as bland and tasteless though so in that regard I would say my experience with the GT100 was very much like fiber.

14. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    No fender makes you play regular... oy, tough room. Btw the 40 rocks

15. 9fingers

9fingers Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2012
    WV
    I have a little time in with my GT100 now. It is a "double edge sword". It is capable of stellar modeled amps!! The effects are quite good, the stomps more than adequate.

The other features stink so far for my uses. The switching with the 4 button is a fraction as useful as it was with the Mustang III, and for me pretty much unusable for live gigging. The much touted Tone app/Bluetooth is not compatible with either my Android tablet or phone, so I have no access to controlling the amp from anywhere but the little screen (which does work, but I get tired of bending over the amp every time I want to tweak something), I can't stream anything via Bluetooth, and I have no access to the touted community of other people's presets. A huge portion of potential buyers do not own i Phones or i Pads. It is not rocket science to put out an app that works on something as common as Android, or develop a PC editor.
    I understand Fender is working on some of these things via firmware updates. We'll see. It is not in character for a solid company like Fender (I have owned & played countless Fender products since the late 60s) to release a product that has so much potential but so much simply not working.

If Fender follows these discussions: Get Tone compatible with Android stuff, make a decent PC editor available (with the ability to back up/save all our work creating presets), make the Preset mode of the 4 button switch as functional as it was with the MIII, and I will give the most glowing reviews imaginable for this great sounding amp.
    I would also pay another hundred bucks for a re-designed footswitch that works great for changing presets & turning effects on and off, live and on-the-fly.

Georox, sparkz and Gymbow like this.

16. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    I dig that. The switch is the same. That's straight up software... Android should work by now. I thought my old nexus was just out of date. Have the 40 love it but haven't used the switch much.

17. 9fingers

9fingers Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2012
    WV
    The switch IS the same, but the functions are different. With the MIII I could scroll presets by using the preset mode, and using the single left and right buttons to change banks of 10 at a time. With the GT I have to press the 2 left or right switches simultaneously to change banks, and banks are all of 3 presets instead of 10. Simply won't work live.

18. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    My issue is even if they change it in firmware to do anything, nothing they could do would give me what i had with the MIII due to it's ability to use both the 4 button and a 2 button at the same time and the ability to program them to do what you want. I used the 2 button for up/down presets and the 4 to switch effects on and off. Not a big deal to me anyways because i generally use one patch all night and just switch stomp and chorus on/off now and then. But having the up/down presets was nice not so much for band use but for comparing. Like at the beginning of the nite setting up my rig then comparing presets to see which one is doing it for me that nite. But once i do that i rarely switch to another. So for me it would be nice and convenient, but i can live w/o it. Hell, i lived w/o most everything the GT does for decades using tube amps so it's not much of a stretch, and i still have a lot more then i did then.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

19. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Yup, bad choice by fender. Whyyyyyyyy fender, whyyyyyyy.

20. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Guys.....just call fender and tell them what you dislike and want. I communicated with a rep named Brett for a long while and he told me they implemented some things based on my input in updates. They usually won't without a number of complaints unless it's a fix. But even changes to function will happen and have due to enough owner input. Call them about the switching issues. There are a of people complaining about that and if enough call them it WILL lead to positive changes.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.