Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Mustang GT Series Amps

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by pondcaster, Apr 10, 2017.

1. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Man, this would be so nice to see/hear.

Love to hear DR, bassman, 57 deluxe, jcm.

Oh @fender4life ...If we could be so bold as to ask a favor, yet again?

2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    First of all, i have no provisions to do that. Plus i can't really compare when i have the EV12L in the V2 and being used by the GT via a cable i fashioned. And the EV is going into the GT probably today. The only fair comparison would be the amp both with stock speakers, but even them the GT's speaker as i said is so bad i wanted to return the amp when i first plugged it in till i hooked it up to the EV. The only way to truly compare is thru the same speaker and i know what the V2 sounds like thru the EV because that what has been in it for a long time. So now playing thru the GT with the EV i can tell you what the difference is.

As to the marshal 70s and 80s models, i think i mentioned it already but they are in a whole other universe than the V2. They sound so much better and so much more like thier real counterparts...i'll just leave it at that. The bassman, my fav and go to patch on the V2. A lot better too tho not by the HUGE margin there is between the GT and V2 with respect to the marshall models. One thing about the bassman in the GT is the low end is far nicer in that it doesn't sound muddy like the V2 when driven. I used the green box on by default all the time to keep the lows from being muddy on the bassman in the V2. In the GT i like it like that too but it's not necassary because the lows are crisp. The bassman is considerably different but still has the same basic character. It's just like a higher quality version as are all the models i have spent enough time with. It's the thing fender mentions about more processing power giving it "better fidelity". That was right on. The models are just more real and alive. But you don't really hear it till you get it dialed in and play it thru a different speaker. The 60s brit, IE vox model sounds a LOT better to me, tho not sure it really sounds voxy I haven't spent enough time with it but in the little i did i felt it didn't sound a lot like one. However, i have a tendency to immediately tweak any model to sound lie the tone i like, and i'm not one of those that likes to have amp brand X, brand z, etc. I tend to like one great sound that matches the sound in my head so i tend to tweak away till it sounds like i want rather than the brand/model it;s supposed to be. So i may have done that with the vox model.With the marshalls however, thier sound have so much of the character of the real thing you almost can't dial it out, especially the 80's (JCM800) model. It sound like a real 800 BIG TIME.

I haven't really tried the fender BF and tweeds or the new '61 deluxe enough to really tell you anything more than this....the V2's 65 deluxe was one of the few if not only models in that amp that literally would NOT take pedals at all. A clean boost made it unusable.Thats no longer a problem. I VERY briefly tried that and tried the twins and princeton and the 61 deluxe and a few others, but not enough to really tell you anything other then as i said above, i feel the GT's overall fidelity make all the models from a little to a lot better. But the marshalls and bassman are the only ones i have spent a lot of time with. I'm trying to report everything i find here but i can't answer everything because theres just too much and it's hard to spend enough time with models i don't care for to give a solid review of them. But when tweaked well (which is a must with the V2 also) and thru a speaker other then that stock POS, i think anyone with a V2 will be salivating once they hear the GT. No doubt a few won't because even with the worse gear on earth you will always find a small % of people online swearing by it, but i can't see many people not hearing a big improvement between them.

Lastly, i haven't played it in a band context but last nite i fired it up and cranked some music to jam along to, not at stage volume but as loud as i can get away with which is close. This is my way of seeing if the tone fits in a mix when i can't try it in a band context. I was immediately smiling. The tone cut thru and even sounded better to me than it did solo. This was with the bassman. The middle position on my tele was just amazing. I'll be taking it to a jam with buddies soon, probably within a month or so and at that point i will truly know just how good it is, tho i really think i already know.

nick0 likes this.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    It would be very nice if the Amp and Pedal guys all got together and decided they could name the other's product targets they emulate just like every player goes by ... "F-Plexi", "F-JCM 800", "M-57Deluxe", "L6-Gorilla 5W", or something. Factory dash what they are trying to emulate. "60s British" doesn't tell users much what they are trying for. Where it would get weird-fun is in the pedal world where a pedal can be a clone of a clone of a clone of a clone.

pondcaster likes this.

4. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    It would probably require an act of congress to get anyone enough free time to try out the new GT to answer all the questions we have. Thank you for the time you have taken tweaking the parameters and reporting your findings here.

But since you told me the 59 Bassman got better, you're probably not on my wife's list of favorite people right now. :)
    And I may need to take some Gas-X.

pondcaster likes this.

5. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2013
    Kansas
    At some point, Shane (In the Blues) will get at GT and do a comparison. We've already had Mustang vs Deluxe Reverb videos in which listeners couldn't tell which was which. If the GT modeling is supposably better than the Mustang V2, then Fender will stop making tube amps?

Bill and pondcaster like this.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

My guess is that they'll makes fewer, cutting back on the lower end of the lines.

Bill and pondcaster like this.

7. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    And do you know why they couldn't tell? Because clips are useless to discern any difference other than telling say a marshall stack from a deluxe. I can't count the time clips were posted of different guitars an people couldn't tell a LP fro a tele. Clips tell you next to nothing. In YOUR hands you will then hear and feel any difference magnified 10x as much as you could tell from a clip, and i think i'm being very conservative saying 10x. And even they it tells you ZERO about how it feels. I doubt i could tell my V2 from my GT in a clip with a gun to my head. But in my hands I could tell with ear plugs and a pint of whisky in my bloodstream.

And no fender will never stop making tube amps as long as people will buy them and as i'm sure you know there are plenty of people who refuse to give modeling a chance even if they hear it and can;t tell. they'll still think they can. By the way, and this is only my opinion and not that of many people with mustangs, but to me the mustang clean fender tones don't sound and feel close at all to the real thing. Especially in feel. I had a repair job for about 20 years in which i played fender amps daily and all types. I'm quite familiar with blackfaces especially and i would never mistake those models in any mustang for the real thing. Not even in the GT. Well, i haven't tried those in the GT for much more than a minute here and there so maybe they're better then i expect but in any case thats my take on it.

Archtop Bill likes this.

8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Each generation of modeling gets better. I would give up tube amps if I could find the tones I want in a digital device without a great deal of tweaking and knob fiddling. FWIW, when the first POD came out every one was over the moon with effusive praise for how "real" it sounded. That was all bull dung.
    I am actually considering a Helix right now. However, by the time a couple it with a flat response powered speaker/amp it's going to drive the cost into boutique territory.
    I have a lot of hope for the Mustang given what Fender has said about it: controllable remotely from a mobile app, with great artist presets.

9. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    First time i played a pod i nearly puked. Horrible feeling device, worse then most cheap SS amps. I nearly went bald scratching my head over the puzzle of how people could love that thing. Few amps modeling or otherwise sound super bad, but it's the feel where they fail miserably, and thats also what people love about tubes even tho some don't even realize it and just think it's tone. I've had some magical sounding tube amps that felt like %$#@. I always went back to an amp that felt good even tho the sound was not as great.

10. JCW308

JCW308 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2016
    Telford, PA USA
    Any way to do tap tempo from the new foot switch? I just ordered the 100 watt amp!

11. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    I tend to look at so called modeling amps with some reality rather than fiction .The Fenders ,Champions ,Mustangs and so on produce some good tones.I havB never played a real Blackface Fender Amp or a Marshall stack and they dont make a ReverbRocket model type as far as I know .They do make good useful sounds though and this is their real strength .
    Its sounds for value and usablity and indeed praticality .Most cant afford ,use,or even appreciate a full blown valve amp at a decent volume because its not practical or even legal .The modeling amps with headphone sockets ,aux in and lines out and decent tone at a lower volume are useful especially as most will never be played in anger on stage .

12. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I don't think so. I figured maybe the tuner button on the FS, but i just tried it and no. Congrats on the buy tho. Be sure and remember what i said....if it sounds like @ss to you, consider that speaker as the culprit, don't blame the amp. Also be sure to tweak tweak tweak. Like the old one it is just as capable of sounding mediocre as it is sounding fantastic till you discover what settings work best where.

13. mbell75

mbell75 Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2014
    california
    This is good to know. The Code I have blows away the Mustang III V2 I had for the overdrive/distortion settings because obviously Marshall knows their amps better than Fender. Im gonna have to check it out.

14. JCW308

JCW308 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2016
    Telford, PA USA
    I have to have tap tempo, might cancel!

15. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Thats what i've always said. I don't go after certain amp models like a certain marshall or whatever. I go for tones that feel and sound the best to me and i don't care if i find that in a JCM800 or a deluxe. I DO know what many of the amps sound like but i don't care as long as i can get one great tone that responds the way i want perfectly in a live situation and at home. And the bassman model is the one that always seems to do it for me, yet I've always been a marshall guy. If i get that one tone i'm happy and the rest....yeah, it's great having many more models for when i get bored and just want something different for a bit. And all those effects.....it's all great to have and i do love it. But anything past that one great tone is all cake to me. Love having it, but could live w/o it. When i do play out the entire nite i usually use one model and all i use is a volume boost and gain boost and thats it aside from occasionally flipping on the chorus where called for. But all that said, there are a ton of guys asking how his model sounds or that model and how close they are to the real thing. Those are probably the guys that aren't going to be real happy with most modelers. If that was my criteria i'm not sure if i'd like the GT as much as i do. This it certainly does a very realistic JCM800 which used to be my go to amp for a long time.

16. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Hey, i just tried it. I mean, i tried it for a few seconds the day i got it but today i spent a few minutes tweaking it and i'll be damned....i think the clean tone on this model is better then any of the other fender models ! Maybe it's just me because i was never very fond of the V2's fender models clean yet many think they're great. while i like the GT's twin a lot better than the one in the V2, i gotta say i think i prefer the clean of the excelsior more than any of the fender amps set clean in either my V2 or my GT. I thought the excelsior was a cheap amp, something like $300 right? Kinda surprising. I set it with the simple compressor set to mid and it was gorgeous, but more than that it FELT more real to me than all the other clean models.

17. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    United States

18. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Love the Captain & Chappers!

Man, I don't know about y'all but those speakers sounded pretty darn good in that clip.

19. JCW308

JCW308 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2016
    Telford, PA USA

20. xland

xland Tele-Meister

Mar 26, 2015
    Central Illinois
    I totally agree that the amp sounds really good in their demo but unfortunately my experience last weekend sounded more the like demo by MusicRadar...

pondcaster likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.