Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Mustang GT Series Amps

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by pondcaster, Apr 10, 2017.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    The stomps seems better sounding and the only new one i noticed was the "yellow box" which i assume is another one of boss' OD's. 2 knobs i believe. I can't even turn the amp on today because out power went out and when it came back none the house's outlets work except one and if i plug it into that outlet it hums like crazy due to my computer being in the same strip. So no amp today. But that was the only stomp i noticed. As far as modulation, the only one i noticed thats different is it has a phase 90 that actually sounds quite good. Not sure how many effects can be used simultaneously because i have no manual and the menu just shows a + sign meaning you can add one. Then when you do another plus sign shows up next to the effect u just added. then add another and another plus sign next to that. So how many can be stacked i haven't tried but to know you'd have to keep adding till no more plus signs show up or read the manual once it comes out. But i have stacked more than one stomp so thats doable. All the effects i've tried so far seem much better then the V2's. And yes, the EXP-1 works with it but with no manual released yet and nothing in the quick start guide, i can't figure out how to make it work. I found the EXP-1 menu in the amp but it's confusing and nothing i tried so far works. So i'll have to wait for the proper manual. re said probably a couple weeks. But it has a menu for the exact model in the amp's setting..,"EXP-1", so obviously it will work with it. The only downside is no 2 button switch support. I used that for atch up.down which was convenient at home but i only use one patch in a band context so no biggie for me. But a drag for those who like to switch patches live and want the 4 button to be in a different mode for other things.

At this point i'm feeling like the amp is a well worthwhile upgrade from the V2. At first i wasn't sure but once i spent a day with it and started learning how to dial certain models in optimally i started hearing some really nice improvements in the basic tone quality of the amp that weren't as apparent till then. This amp's a keeper. And by the way, taste in aesthetics aside as far as what you like, quality wise those who call it cheezy looking haven't had a chance to take a long look in person. Mine sits next to my V2 for now and in a side by side comparison the GT looks way more quality than the V2. It;s not as much amp like in looks as it is high end audio gear looking. So that may be a turn off to some. But quality wise it looks quite sweet. i like it. only complaint there is the cheap flimsy plastic logo. Fender used that same logo a few years ago on some of their gear especially some bass cabs, but they were really nice made out of metal. Wish they'd used that.I can see this one disintegrating it you bump it.

2. privatesalt

privatesalt Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2014
    Alabama
    A big thanks fender4life for the reviews! If you have time, please keep it coming..and anyone else that gets there hands on one....Watching thread with great interest!
    I do plan to buy one soon as available. I think I may keep all the Mustangs. At least until I see it sit a year without being used.

What is the deal with this one. Says 1 left in stock. But is this price full msrp? I hope thats not street price. Not familiar with the seller. Is it real?..

https://www.amazon.com/Fender-Musta...3488352&sr=1-1&keywords=fender+mustang+gt+100

3. privatesalt

privatesalt Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2014
    Alabama
    Im little bummed about the cheaper sounding speaker. Maybe I can swap with the one in my M3v2. (After a while of course). I usually dont even use the one in the M3v2...unless playing out with friends.(I run everything thu powered pa speakers at home, but want a good sound for grab and go amp).

fender4life, can you use a comp and od pedal at the same time? I don't recall seeing talk of it the in thread. Thanks!

pondcaster likes this.

4. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    yes to comp and OD simultaneously. far as i can tell you can use any combination of any effects till there are no more slots to fill, and i have no idea how many slots there are but seems like more than you'd ever need.

The mustang V2 always sold for MSRP except when there was a sale, so i;d expect no difference with the new ones. I paid $400. Chump change for so much amp. Should be able to get close to 1/2 back when i sell my V2.

pondcaster and privatesalt like this.

5. xland

xland Tele-Meister

Mar 26, 2015
    Central Illinois
    I was in the market for a modeling amp so I tried one (GT 100) yesterday at GC and came away pretty disappointed in how it sounded. It sounded really muffled so maybe it was the speaker. I also assume the presets were probably not the best either. I tried to add/remove gain and change the EQ but in general is still sounded dull/muffled.

I'm sure if I had more time to mess with it I'd find it sounds much better than what I was experiencing yesterday. I still have high hopes for it and might go back and try it again. But for now I have a Boss Katana 50 that I bought on sale yesterday that I A/B'd against the GT 100, it sounded brighter and much clearer. I admittedly need to spend more time with the Katana before I make any final decisions and I have 45 days before I would need to return it to GC.

@fender4life thanks for the updates, it gives me hope that my experience yesterday does not speak to how the amp can really sound.

6. Nolefinity

Nolefinity TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Atlanta
    I'd love some details on the looper!

Is it basic like the ditto pedal? Or advanced features like auto-record (when you start playing), save loops, import loops, capture drum/backing tracks from aux in, etc.

7. privatesalt

privatesalt Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2014
    Alabama
    This is the weirdest roll out of an amp I've ever seen in the US. The amp is available, then its not. No word of it on the Fender website, it doesn't turn up in search results at the big online stores.. MF, Sweetwater, GC., etc. Yet it is 'in stock' at some smaller stores online. When is the big BOOM coming when its everywhere and spoke of by Fender? What the hell? Am I missing something?

nick0, Ash and pondcaster like this.

8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Any comments, impressions on the mobile apps on iOS or Android that are supposed to be
    Agreed. Plus it was supposed to have these great apps for iOS and Android with great artist presets. No evidence of such apps to date.

9. privatesalt

privatesalt Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2014
    Alabama
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017

10. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Understatement of the century. problem is you won't be able to tell playing one in the store due to the speaker AND the fact it takes time to learn how the setting all interact to devise your own patches. Otherwise IMO it's junk and not worth the cost of the box it comes in. Like i said....understatement of the century. Nite and day, ferarri vs corolla, etc etc ...

11. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    No, it's not. Some were likely shipped prematurely according to a rep i called yesterday. He said he wasn't aware any store had them and that they aren't officially released yet. He was surprised to hear a customer calling who bought one already. Paraphrasing, but thats what i got. What i took away from it was in all likelihood there are probably marketing or sales people at fender who decided to ship some early for whatever reason and others in the company weren't made aware of it and possibly it could have been done w/o permission. who knows, but one thing is for certain after talking to that rep.....theres some real lack of communication going on at fender in respect to this product. Thats fine by me because i was getting tired of salivating like a mutt every time i thought about it. :D

They are yet to be released which you can understand by reading what i said above. i can't even get a damn manual yet. He said probably 2 weeks. And the amp comes with nothing but a little quick start guide. So i can't even do certain things yet. Like use my EXP1 because theres a menu to configure it but i can't get it to work and it's confusing the way it's laid out.

12. privatesalt

privatesalt Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2014
    Alabama
    Wow.. you are very lucky to have one! I bet there are marketing managers freaking out at Fender. The ball was definitely dropped somewhere on this 'roll out' lol.

Oh well, the researching and reading about the amp is part of the fun!. And YT videos... which there are none. Whoever uploads the first vid will probably get thousands of views.

Can't wait to hear more as you learn about it. One biggy for me was the data wheel. It is so touchy and light weight on the M3v2. Does it seem more firm/smooth/heavy? (And all the knobs. Are they smooth firm feel, or cheap feeling?) Thanks again.

Edit: One more thing... Did you notice any cabinet buzzes or rattles?.. Does the cab build seem solid? Im glad it is lighter weight and plywood cab.. my back will appreciate it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    pondcaster likes this.

13. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    United States
    Thanks for all the info thus far! Watching this thread with great interest!

14. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Actually there are a few others that have bought or tried them already and the GC i was at had 2 GT100's. Seems a lot were shipped to many GC stores. As to rattles, no, It's very solidly built.

15. TurtleFang

TurtleFang Tele-Meister

May 29, 2010
    Honolulu, HI
    The GC I walked into while visiting in NC had both the 100 and the 40 in stock and out on the floor to play with.

Happy to see the new additional amp models.

16. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    2 more things i keep meaning to mention but forget to. Both negatives. The first one I may be wrong about, but i don't think you can save presets to other locations lie the V2 does. In other words, if you make changes to a preset in slot 1 and you want to move it to slot 2, i can't see a way to do that. Maybe there is but i'll need a manual to figure it out because it doesn't seem like theres any way. So if you want to move the preset in slot 1 to slot 2 the only thing you can do is reconfigure every setting in slot 2 to the same as 1. I hope i'm wrong because thats something i really use a lot. It may only be doable in the new fuse replacement, "tone" when that becomes available. But thats a PITAjust to do that.

The other thing, and this one bothers me because it's one advantage over tubes i loved so much when i first started using the MIII.....startup time. Damn thing takes almost as long to start as a tube amp ! My V2 was making sound in maybe 2 seconds max. this takes about 15-20. No big deal unless you turn you amp on as many as 20 or 30 times in a day like i do.

17. TurtleFang

TurtleFang Tele-Meister

May 29, 2010
    Honolulu, HI
    Studio Preamp
    '57 Champ
    '57 Deluxe
    '57 Twin
    '57 Bandmaster
    '59 Bassman
    '61 Deluxe
    '65 Princeton
    '65 Deluxe Reverb
    '65 Twin Reverb
    Excelsior
    '65 GA-15
    British Watts
    '60s Brittish
    '70s British
    '80s British
    Super-Sonic
    90's American
    Metal 2000

pondcaster likes this.

18. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    by the way....the plexi and JCM800 models are LIGHT YEARS ahead of the V2. "No comparison" would be an understatement. also, i use delay 100% of the time, just a little like you would reverb to keep it from sounding too dry. I tried the tape delay and wow, that thing is fabulous. It's my go to now and a very noticeable improvement in delay sound while i am a guy who normally finds them all pretty much alike.

And the bassman, my go to patch on the V2....i now have it sounding so good i'm in total tone heaven. This amp kills when you use a good speaker and take the time to learn how to get the best from it. I friggin love this amp !

nick0 likes this.

19. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 11, 2017
    England
    I have a Mustang 2v2 and I love it. Last week, I ordered a M3v2 from Amazon.co.uk, only to be told they were sold out. I then ordered one from another UK online retailer who claimed to have them in stock for next day delivery and it didn't turn up. When I rang up to ask why, they said that they only had a shop demo one left, did I want that? No, I didn't, I had just heard about the GTs I didn't know about the GT range before I ordered the M3 so, it looks like a lucky coincidence. I have a Line6 Amplifi pedal, which is controlled by an iPad app over Bluetooth. All the heavy lifting is done on the iPad so I imagine that all those tweaks will have to wait for the app to arrive. No sign of it on the Apple Apps Store yet. Having used a Line 6 Spider Jam both at home and at gigs, I found out that you need a completely separate set of patches when playing live. Scooped sounds are great playing alone at home but are useless in a band situation. My favourite amp of all time, a Peavey Classic 30 with the usual upgrades and tweaks. Wish I still had it but I will get a GT100 ASAP.

pondcaster likes this.

20. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    Any detailed side by side comparison between the Mustang III and GT 100 on a basic amp sound with the same settings?

Everyone knows what a Deluxe Reverb sounds like. I'd suggest that.

pondcaster likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.