Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Mustang GT Series Amps

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by pondcaster, Apr 10, 2017.

1. JCW308

JCW308 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2016
    Telford, PA USA
    Any specific brands / models in mind that have more than 3 or 4 foot switches?

2. JCW308

JCW308 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2016
    Telford, PA USA
    You read WAAAAYYYY too far into that. I love the Mustangs and use a MIII live every week. I just think they need a proper foot controller instead of the lame 4-button.

3. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    The the guy who reversed engineered it was using the big behringer pedal. Lots of switches, presets and two expression pedals, but you have to get a USB interface. I don't remember the details, but you can find it with search. I think it may have been on vguitarforums.com.

4. JCW308

JCW308 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2016
    Telford, PA USA
    See, the thing is....it shouldn't be that difficult. They need to just come out with a proper USB foot controller!

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Publish public APIs then third parties can do it.

privatesalt and pondcaster like this.

6. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    I don't recall it being difficult.
    1) Plug midi controller into USB interface.
    2) Plug USB interface into Mustang.

It's already been reverse engineered and is in the public domain. It's readily accessible to those willing to go beyond clicking a button at guitarcenter.com to buy a Fender branded footswitch.

pondcaster likes this.

7. JCW308

JCW308 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2016
    Telford, PA USA
    Let me guess, you're one of the programmers? Seriously, Fender really needs to just come up with a dedicated real mustang foot switch. Heck, maybe it could even be wireless!

pondcaster likes this.

8. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Well, hell. I have 45 days to return it so i'm going to keep on trying. But i gotta say it;s all i can do to pack it back up now. But i have said many times the V2 sounds a lot better once you learn to tweak it. This on however right off the bat doesn't sound like it's going to be able to be improved near enough to like it as much as my V2. I figured there was always a chance it wouldn't be near as good as i was hoping but this so far seems much worse than i had imagined. I hope i'm wrong, and i've only spent an hour with it so i could be. But after this first hour i'm finding that very unlikely. But there is one potential reason, more on that later.

First of all, the global EQ someone mentioned isn't an EQ, but 4 preset EQ setting. One is called flat, so it's just the amp the way it sounds normally. Then theres a bright boost, which i can't imagine anyone using. Then a bright cut and a bass cut. So no big advantage there like i imagined. Thats not the big disappointment tho. There are a few so far and i hope they can be overcome but it sure doesn't seem hopeful. First, the amp feels and sounds very digital unlike the V2. Amazing. Either i'm setting something wrong or fender just took thier best selling line and destroyed it's tone. It sounds buzzy and stiff. I have only used the bassman model so who knows. But that was my fav by far in the V2 and in this i find it lousy. Worse yet, i tried it with my clean boost pedal and if that model is any indication, this amp doesn't take pedals at all. It was literally unusable with the bassman model set to replicate my V2 as close as i could. Then theres the menus. Maybe it's just me because my brain is alergic to anything where i have to navigate a maze of a zillion things that isn't very very logically set up. And to me it's a nightmare.

I wasn't sure i should post this so soon. But I never thought even at it's worse it would be so disappointing so i can't imagine it's going to be a improvement over V2 if even AS good. I will continue to play with it and post as i find more and more about it's value or lack thereof compared to the old model. Who knows, i may be surprised. But while i wasn't over the moon thrilled with my V2 at first, i DID think it was quite good. Just not the droolworthy amp it became after i found the best tweaks. If it sounded like this GT-100 i'd never have bought it to begin with.

Now on the the bright side, The thing is so light it's crazy, and is indeed plywood rather than MDF. Also, Its very possible the speaker sucks and/or sounds horrible and buzzy when new. It appears to be a lower wattage affair even tho it's likely 100 watts since thats the amp rating. But the magnet is small. It may well be a crappy speaker, and not being broken in....well, we'll see. i'll likely rig up a cable to for the connectors on the amp and take that out to my V2's EV to get a true evaluation of the amp itself compared to the V2.That may well be much of what i'm hearing, tho not all certainly like not taking pedals well.

privatesalt, JCW308 and pondcaster like this.

9. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I will continue to update my findings constantly, and heres the first....speaker=HUGE reason for the above. That and the fact the manual is all but useless and i had things going on that i didn't know because they were off screen. Things are definately looking up. No more buzzy sterile sound. Playing it thru my EV12L and the difference is toyota corrola vs porsche. I have a feeling the speaker will suck even after breaking in because no speaker ever improves near as much as this one would have to. At least i have yet to hear that happen. So if you get one, be prepared to upgrade. Oh, and if you recall i had a problem with harsh/bright/thin tone at stage volume that i fixed by using the very dark sounding 1x12 cab. Well, those cabs are no longer there, but The bright cut in the global EQ basically does the same thing, tho it allows you to select any cab sound you like instead of being stuck using the 1x12 cab just to remove the brightness.

Marshall 80's model....nice. There does seems to be better fidelity in the form of wider range of controls, IE: the frequency spectrum seem to reach further in both directions and have a slightly more alive overall sound. Still hate the menus tho. Also, those who wanted to use more than one stomp...u got your wish. However, not sure how controlled it is via footswitch because......get ready.....the V2 switch does NOT work with it. Damn....well, lets see if all else makes it worth buying a new switch for...more to come. I've only scratched the surface.

EDIT:
    In respect to the bold type above, i just realized there are 2 supersonic cab sims that are quite dark and much like the 1 and 2x12 cabs in the V2 that i was using to tame it. So you have that, but using the global EQ;s bright cut may be better since you cut bright thin tone at stage volume but can still pick whatever cab sim has the character you want.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    privatesalt, JCW308 and pondcaster like this.

10. hotpepper

hotpepper Tele-Meister

Mar 14, 2013
    no. il.
    Thanx for the info..
    I have the m3 v1 and took quite a bit of time to break in the speaker but then the sound opened up, so that's no surprise. bummer about the foot switch tho.

11. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Yeah, but this isn't like a typical improvement. It;s bad amp vs great amp. No speaker break in period should be that huge. I'm thinking the stock 100 watt celestion in the MIII is a far better sounding speaker. Mine never sounded nite and day better when it broke in The amp sounded good from day one. This one sounded hideous till i plugged in the EV. I wonder if the speaker i got is defective.

hotpepper likes this.

12. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I may have to recall my comment on the switch. I think it does work, but the mode was now where i normally used it because i had it locked in my old amp. When i plugged it in this one i didn't think about the fact the mode would likely be in a different spot. So i changed it and sure enough the stomp switch turned the greenbox i had set in a patch on and off and the LED followed. But it will take time to figure out what works or doesn't because i don;t have any info on what exactly the switch is supposed to do. I know the picture of it has labels, but there are reasons i need the manual for the switch to figure it out easily. I can do it w/o but it will be time consuming and mind numbing, and my mind at this point is beyond numb. But i'll tell you this, i'm coming around more and more. This amp may after all be everything i hoped it would. Time will tell.

pondcaster and mfromb like this.

13. olefudd

olefudd Tele-Meister

Sep 27, 2009
    out yonder!
    Thanks for taking the time to let us all know about your new toy. Good news about the 4 button switch because I think it's the only way to use the looper.
    I hope the speaker comes around and starts sounding better.

privatesalt and pondcaster like this.

14. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    No problem, glad to do it for all the mustang fans who are as anxious about the GT as i was.
    The speaker doesn't matter to me, as i will be selling my MIII and putting the EV12L i put in that in the new amp.

About the switch, seems to do it all. I even tried the looper with it and it too works. I'm not familiar with loopers and i doubt i will be able to step on the switch perfectly for timing to do much with it in a live situation which is where i'd have use for it because it's always 3 piece when i play out or jam. So it would be great to be able to use it for the rhythm part when i have to solo. But it works as do all the other functions far as i can tell.

One thing about the amp thats a let down tho. the tuner. It's actually more accurate and i like one certain thing about it. But the one thing that ruins it is it;s one of those tuners that can't seem to read the note well so it's always flickering around and showing way too flat or sharp than it actually is or showing a different note than it is. Kinda like when a tuner isn't getting a hot enough signal and it's reading the note intermittently. Hopefully their first firmware update will fix it. It's usable but it's a PITA to use and takes longer because of it. really stupid graphic too.

pondcaster likes this.

15. The dman

The dman TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Sorry if this has been mentioned but what improvements have you seen in the stomp boxes? I thought I read you can use 2 at a time but have there been any other stomp box additions or improvements? Thanks

16. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Great stuff, thank you so much for taking the time and sharing!

Looking forward to the looper, hate to hear about tuner. That's one of true niceties of the M3, a tuner that actually works.

Yes f4L, this is what I'm kinda interested to see.

Has anyone "test driven" one of the GT40s yet? Would love to hear one and get review.

pdcorlis likes this.

17. Mullet Man

Mullet Man Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2014
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Watching this thread with great interest, have I missed a post(s) that noted floor pricing? My local GC's claim to know nothing about them.

privatesalt likes this.

18. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2013
    Kansas
    Just curious what you mean by a "proper" foot controller. IIUC the 4-button switch can operate in different modes to control different functions, and there's a separate expression pedal, although I don't know if that works with the GT. Peavey has the Sanpera controller for its modelling amps but to me that looks like it takes up too much real estate and looks confusing to operate. Small and simple would be better IMO.

If you're wanting something more advanced then that seems like that would be beyond the Mustang concept and more inline with boutique modeling systems. Otherwise that USB pedal hack mentioned earlier seems like a reasonable option. Fender wouldn't have much incentive to manufacture an advanced foot controller because it would put the amp in a different price point level where they sell their tube amps.

pondcaster and JCW308 like this.

19. Nolefinity

Nolefinity TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Atlanta
    The 40 is $249 at GC.

pondcaster likes this.

20. JCW308

JCW308 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2016
    Telford, PA USA
    I think Line 6 is on the right track with the "Floorboard" series of foot controllers for their amps. It shows patch names instead of numbers, has a vol / expression pedal, etc...

pondcaster likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.