Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Mustang GT Series Amps

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by pondcaster, Apr 10, 2017.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Soon to be the LUCKY man, i hope. :D Theres always GC's 45 day return if not, but i can't imagine that will be the case.

pondcaster likes this.

2. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    I never owned a Mustang, but compared to ones I've played, tone quality was good. I was only playing at bedroom volumes using a GT 100. Wasn't pushing enough air really for me to get a grasp of full volume tone. I was surprised at how polished the amp models were, how real they felt, and how many of the models sounded like perfect studio recordings. 107 factory presets! Every control adjustable on the amp! Nice LCD!

If I hadn't just made a deal for a Super Reverb (NAD post coming up) in the parking lot I may have bought the GT100, the only amp they had in store. They also had no online descriptions of them.

privatesalt, donb720 and pondcaster like this.

3. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Nice ! Sounds like they really went for tone quality instead of wasting processing power on gimmicks. Thats what i was hoping for. The V2's are great but you really have to dial them in, so the fact that you were so impressed with the stock presets is extremely promising. The V2 stock presets are so bad i'd give the amp a 1 out of 10 if i had to rate it by those !

jvin248 and pondcaster like this.

4. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Well it helped that I knew to immediately boost the bias and sag on the blackface models for my tastes. Also, the fact that the 63 reverb unit and 65 reverb models both had dwell, mix, and tone controls, along with maybe delay if I recall.

There was surprisingly an Excelsior amp. I used to love my excelsior. To say the least it was perfect. Sounded better in some ways. Could tell it wasn't a real 15 but at higher volumes it may be even Closer. Amazing tone quality on that preset though.

Also, the cabinet setting is accessible right on the amp, and effects can be added and subtracted easily, and added in pre or post amp. All right from the menu.

The main menu also included master EQ settings (for adjusting to rooms for gigging) and a few other features.

Bluetooth and WiFi too.

Looks crazy nice for the dough. Can't wait to see if the 40 has the same menus.

Like I said. If I hadn't just bought a super reverb in the parking lot, I'd probably have walked out with that amp, and maybe an on sale $350 fender musicmaster or whatever that new budget model they have is called.

pondcaster likes this.

5. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Thats no different than my MIII V2. Everything is there except the bright switch on the twin and vox, and the ability to put the effects pre or post amp. Everything else is on the amp's LCD. Only the II and I required fuse to get to certain settings.

You just made my day ! Thats what i have said here many times that i wish thy had on the mustang and what i hoped they would add to the new one. In fact, i recently posted about the one issue with the mustang which was stage volume tone and how i fixed it with a EQ in the effects loop. Looks like no more need for that pedal !

6. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yeah like I said I wasn't familiar with the mustangs. Didn't know cab setting was accessible. And yeah, the EQ looked hugely useful. I didn't open that part of the menu so I don't know if it's 3 band, parametric, or graphic.

7. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    No worries.....i'll let you know tomorrow. :D

8. Nolefinity

Nolefinity TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Atlanta
    I've got a request!

Can you check on the Looper? How sophisticated is it? Can you save loops and recall them, does it auto record (record when it hears guitar), can it import loops (such as a drum track) ... or is it simple like a Ditto?

And if there's a 40 there, are the two 6.5" speakers full range? Probably not, but I wish they were so it would play backing tracks in clear quality.

Any intel on these would be great!

Archtop Bill and pondcaster like this.

9. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Sure, but you'll have to be patient till i get to that because i will be waist deep in trying out the models and settings for days or weeks before i ever get to that. I'll have a quick look maybe if it;s simple enough, or maybe scan a shot of the manual. As for the 40, even the 100's aren't even unboxed or out on the floor yet because they just came in today. so i doubt they'll be out, but if they are i'll look and see. Of course it may well be closed back and not possible to see whats there in back of that dark grill.

bparnell57 likes this.

10. Nolefinity

Nolefinity TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Atlanta
    I believe in you. You can do it. You're just the man for the job.

pondcaster likes this.

11. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    Looking forward to hearing from someone doing a side-by-side with this and a Mustang III version 2.

I want to know any difference between, say, the Deluxe Reverbs with the same settings.

privatesalt, pondcaster and Vespa_One like this.

12. JCW308

JCW308 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2016
    Telford, PA USA
    As great as the new Mustang GT amp line might sound, they have defeated their purpose if the foot control is no better. Fender really needs to come out a with a REAL foot controller for the Mustangs instead of the 4-button / re-labeled 4-button nonsense.

pondcaster likes this.

13. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Thats subjective. For me it's not the case. I use very little of it's switching functions. At $400 i think it offers a lot. The ones that have a lot more features are usually devices like the helix. Of course it's over 3x the price and you still need something for power. Apparently i'm far from being the only one, as the mustang is fenders best selling combo line. Of course theres always the tube amp option with 1 or 2 switching options, no effects, and one or 2 sounds usually at a good bit to a lot more $ than the mustang. I think we are too spoiled today. Look what we had before modeling became tonally competitive. How soon we forget. 4 years in and I still get all tingly thinking about how much my mustang can do. And today i may be even more amazed once GC's doors open at 10:00.

Anyways, i guess you and I just don't see the mustang the same way. You say "it's purpose", but the incredible amount of things it's capable of isn't to be able to switch a gazillion things, its to have so many options that you are able to find at least one or 2 great tones that will allow a huge portion of the guitar paying community to find some tones that make the amp worth owning. That to me is it;s purpose. With tube amps you end up buying dozens or more over the years in search of the perfect tone for you because they are generally capable of one main tone. I see the mustang as an amp designed to make a lot of people happy as great tone is concerned and also give them a tuner and effects so they have the option of having a all in one package. I see that as a heck of a lot for your $400. But of course you can always get a 15 watt blues Jr for a $100 or $200 more with all it;s options. :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    rburd2 and pondcaster like this.

14. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Another thing I remember noticing was the touch sensitivity for dynamics was huge, but for overdrive it was lacking compared to high end pedals or a true cranked tube amp, in my experience. The dynamic range just seemed a little too good to be true. I had to be careful or I'd end up having my guitar whispering. I guess a compressor set mildly out front would help, but it was a bit odd.

Also knob position for the preset and then current knob position is available right on screen.

Effect rate is tap tempo enabled and also can be adjusted with the scroll wheel to the individual Hz.

No footswitch was in Stock for me to look at.

15. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Good stuff, thanks! Any other info is greatly appreciated.

My thoughts exactly!

16. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2014
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Here's a left-field comment but I cant help but wonder if Ford will complain about the name,.....

pondcaster likes this.

17. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2014
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Do these have direct out with speaker simulation? It might be nice to have a familiar set up for both live-amp stages and silent stages.......

18. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Not too left field, when I mentioned to my friend (who owned M3v1) about the new ones coming out and the name. He's not a gear head but even he said "Seriously?"

bparnell57 likes this.

19. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    You can control everything on the mustang with a generic midi foot controller that can interface with USB.

pondcaster and bparnell57 like this.

20. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    That can easily be attributed to tweaking. I mean, the touch sensitivity with my V2 is great, but like i've said a million times it took me time to get it to sound it;s best, and touch sensitivity/dynamics is my #1 concern with any amp. the V2 is much more capable of lacking in that area than being great in that area. But only till you find the right mode(s) that are best at that and tweak them further. I have confidence fender wouldn't go to the trouble or redesigning the mustangs processor and releasing the new amp with less of something that a lot of players consider crucial to great tone. But stranger things have happened so i'll find out soon enough. I hope you're wrong due to lack of time exploring it.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    bparnell57 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.