Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Fender Mustang GT Series Amps

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by pondcaster, Apr 10, 2017.

1. sparkz

sparkz TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Southern California

I experienced the same "glitchy" noises on individual notes with earlier firmware v 1.038. Seems corrected by firmware update.

I have the GT40 without pedals or Exp and it now sounds great for my home practice application. Can't even imagine how devastating it would be to bring an unreliable or "glitchy" GT 100 or GT 200 amp to a gig.

Wonder whether Fender CEO knows how poorly his new GT100 and GT200 are performing for working musicians including respected Shane at "In The Blues".

Great companies "pull" problematic products back from the market and provide their loyal customers with apologies and a well defined better path forward. They treat early adopters with extra care and incentives for putting up with early problematic product releases.

Hope someone at Fender is monitoring this board and has sufficient influence to redirect Fender before this product release becomes a marketing and sales catastrophe for them.

CFFF likes this.
  2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    well, i may owe fender an apology. Some what anyways. They didn't warranty my amp but it seemed likely to be firmware. I was pissed because whatever the reason i couldn't use the EXP-1 pedal, they needed to take care of me. Well, they are ! No, i'm not sure if this is going to work, but a guy at TGP who has a GT said he has 2 exp-1's because his first one never worked right with his M V2. The second one he bought, and i guess he somehow suspected or was told they;d changed, works fine with the GT. So i emailed fender to tell them that and to suggest they edit thier page that says it works with the exp-1 to say it only works with serial # xxxx on forward. He said thats the first they heard of this and offered to send me a exp-1 !

So while they really need to get thier act together in some ways, that gave me some faith back because in the end it was incompatibility with older versions of the pedal and their fault was not knowing that. They certainly should have known and made that known to us, but thats a lot less of a issue with them than not wanting to warranty an amp.

3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    They will know from the dealers that the amps are being returned or that they just not selling.
    It's hard for them to walk back the products but you would think that they will quickly revise the amps with different speakers, revised models or new models, etc. Then again, they don't want to rush in another direction.
    Hard to imagine how the engineers, developers could not have vetted the sounds prior to release. One has to wonder if the prototypes performed differently.
    Oh well, I'm happy with the little GT40 so it doesn't really bother me.

sparkz likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    He's aware, don't kid yourself.

Sweet, glad that worked out. You deserve it!

Me, too. Highly recommended.

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 8:59 PM
  6. sparkz

sparkz TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Southern California
    I'm totally happy with my GT40 too. It's a great practice amp and I currently own a Katana 50, Blues Cube Stage, cube lite, and 2 boutique tube amps.

Previously owned Thr10 a and c, plus mustang IIIv2, and Superchamp X2 with Ragin Cagin.

I mostly now switch between Katana 50 with Sneaky amp software upgrade and Mustang GT40. Both are favorites.

7. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Whether i do or not, it's still not a sure thing from what i'm hearing but fingers crossed. It's the bane of my existence lately.

8. jakecentric

jakecentric TDPRI Member

May 17, 2017
    Michigan
    OK, I'm back from practice and the decision has been made...the GT-200 is a keeper. The band loved it and thought it blew away the v.2. More importantly, I was more than happy with how it sounded and I had no glitches whatsoever.

burntfrijoles and pondcaster like this.
  9. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Thats great news. I figured that would be the case, as when i crank mine it sounds much better then my MIII cranked. I will find out next saturday myself. Really looking forward to seeing the results of what is the ultimate test for any amp. What model(s) and cab sim did you use, and did you use the global EQ or did you leave it flat.

jakecentric likes this.
  10. Optiks

Optiks TDPRI Member

May 9, 2017
    New York
    Today I messed around on my GT 200 for a few hours and I'm pretty happy so far.

Regarding the 60 Cycle Hum GT 40 vs. Boss Katana 50 video, to me the Kantana sounds pretty good while the GT 40 sounds muddy or like there's a blanket covering the amp.

I played that video through my GT 200 via iPhone/blue tooth and played along with the same presets with my MIM Tele upgraded w/ Fender pure vintage '64 pickups which are pretty bright. My GT-200 had a similar tone to the GT-40 but it sounded much much better like the Katana. No muddy, boxy, blanket sound. My rig sounded nice & crisp. My GT-200 has the latest firmware update so I'm wondering if the 60 Cycle Hum Guy used his amp right out of the box without updating it. Or maybe the GT40 just sounds like it's covered with a blanket. Or maybe the guy has a really muddy sounding guitar & pickups & the katana is just a super bright amp. Or he's got a defective amp.

Has anybody with the GT 40 tried comparing their amp to the GT 40 in the 60 Cycle Hum video?

Haven't messed around with cabs yet but just using EQ & global EQ helped me a ton getting clarity out of muddy sounding patches.

11. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Cabs are the key. Especially since many of the models have very small boxy sounding ones as default. Dig in....they will allow you to make huge changes.

12. sparkz

sparkz TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Southern California

Yes I have both amps and am critical of the 60hz video as it is not an accurate recording of these amps.

The poorly recorded "mushy" low frequency dominant sound of the stereo Mustang GT40 on the 60hz video is solely due to 60hz video producers use of a "close proximity" mono mic recording technique to record both the mono Katana and the stereo Mustang amps....it's no good unless you purposefully want to cancel mids and highs on the stereo amp which is exactly what happened on this video.

Hope 60hz production folks read up the on proper mic placement technique for recording stereo vs mono amps and re-cut the video for an accurate comparison.

After updating both Katana KTN 50 and Mustang GT40 to latest firmware I've learned they can be set to sound remarkably similar as clean amps.... particularly when using Katana 28 "sneaky amps" software instead of the 5 amps available on Katana front panel.

IMO The tweed amps and marshall amps on GT40 sound closer to their original namesake amps to me but the additional 28 Sneaky amps software for Katana brings some additional great sounding amps to the party such as "Jumped" channel Marshall JTM, Fender Pro reverb with gain, Matchless, JC120, plus several other great amps that are distinctive and quite good sounding.

As mentioned, the GT 40 has wide stereo imaging on effects and Katana is a mono amp. However GT40 has less power and could never be used to gig....it is purely a practice amp.

Summary is they are both great amps.....different but no complaints and only praise for both.

A better video comparison might be Stereo practice amp to stereo practice amp comparison such as THR10 to GT40 with proper mic placement for accurate comparison.

Last edited: May 20, 2017 at 3:09 AM
  13. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2013
    Kansas
    It's not mic placement that's the problem in those videos. He says that the sound is nasally while he's playing it and comparing it to other amps. I think Shane had similar complaints about the sound quality in his videos.

14. burntfrijoles

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I have the GT40 and some of the presets do sound boxy/nasally. However it's not hard to correct that. Some of it has to do with matching the amp model with the right cabinet or simple eq'ing. Additionally, I've listened to a number of Katana youtube demos and it can sound just as boxy.
    There are some very good sounds on the GT40 from clean to crunch but there are some dogs too. Regardless, it's not a typical plug n play device. It requires tweaking.

Well, he (Mr 60 cycle) didn't put much effort into the amp then. I think Shane is great but he said it took him three days to nail a specific tone in one of his V2 demos yet he didn't appear to put that effort into the GT. He did his honest appraisal and that's great. Maybe he was expecting something different and was underwhelmed. Maybe he got a dog. Maybe it's a crap amp.
    The GT 40 is different that the 100 and 200 and it fits a different segment of users. It's not a gigging amp. I think it's fantastic for a home amp. It's cheap, costing less or slightly more than a boutique pedal.

15. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC

No mushy, boxy sound here. Not even close to the tones of that poorly produced clip. A few tweaks could have made that oh so different.

Would love to see a comparison test was actually done by somebody that knew how to mic/rec properly. It's funny in a way how some are actually making critical comments due solely to their watching clips online. Some having never seen the amps in person. Like that's really possible...c'mon people!

I'm guessing that, like the M3s, initial impressions will give way to approval once they've been in the hands long enough for people, comfortable with the tech (or not so) to "learn" how best to set up for most positive results.

16. burntfrijoles

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Great to hear. IMO, these amps have a learning curve in terms of achieving a desired tone. The UI is pretty nice and particularly the App. The more I use it (GT40) the more I like it.

jakecentric likes this.
  17. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    Nothing to do with new GT amps as such but I bought a cheap set of p90 hybrids from China .I put them in my Mustang bullet cheapie .When first installed and tried I hated them .Tinny , too much treble, you know the way it is .When my wife went out with the dogs I however cranked up my Champion 40 and dialed in some different settings and an amazing transformation into blues and jazz tigers .Real keeps .I found their groove and they work fine .I am not getting a Mustang GT amp because I dont need one but its always worth keeping an open mind and giving it all a bit of time to work some good tones out .They will never be a 1000 dollar tube amp but will probably please a lot people on the way .

pondcaster likes this.
  18. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    Why does Fender make it so hard to find a good tone on these amps if they are capable of producing good tone? It's like some kind of stupid video game.

19. burntfrijoles

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I'm not really sure it is. I think it's more of a learning curve. I am getting much more efficient at creating a tone. For instance, this morning I decided to find a nice Keef type sound and used Midnight Rambler and Brown Sugar as my targets.
    It took me about 5 minutes to get the Midnight Rambler. Chose a 57 Deluxe and added a touch of small room reverb. I ended up switching the cab from the 57 Deluxe cab (which sounded fine) to 59 Bassman cab. I thought it was slightly better that way but it could be placebo. Regardless, it was spot on. Now granted, that's not the hardest sound to get but it was pretty effortless and now it's saved and ready for use. I was able to get Brown Sugar from the same patch by just adjusting the Eq and gain slightly. Easy peasy.
    Folks are doing a hatchet job on these amps. Personally I think they are FOS.

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  20. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I DO think it is hard, but it depends on what YOUR idea of good tone is. Sure, i can dial in a tone thats basically what I'm after in minutes. But that result will not keep me happy for a long time. Same with a lot of tub amps.....many would be close but in the tonal details i often had issues i couldn't get past because they didn't have deep editing to change those things. So the result was years and years of an and less stream of tube amps that came and went. With the mustang i can dial in tones like that in minutes. Tones that sound great but theres one of more things that are subtle but bother me in time. Thats where the deep editing and lots of time tweaking come in. It takes work but if you are persistent and know what needs to be perfected and what things to look at doing to get there, eventually you can find that last few percent of perfection. If you don't, just like that endless stream of tube amps you will at some point want better.

In a few words, you CAN dial a good tone in quickly, but to dial in one thats close enough to your perfection that bothers you about it to the point of eventually wanting better tone, that takes time and work. After a few weeks just yesterday and found a way to get my main sound better, and while subtle, to me it's huge because it caused the tone to feel much better under my fingers. And it was just a simple cab swap that didn't sound good to me before but while tweaking the patch it hit me that cab has a certain quality i was trying to make happen so i tired it then tried to dial out what i DIDN'T like about that cab and succeeded. it's things like that which make it take so long to find nirvana. But again, if getting close to your idea of perfection isn't necassary then they can be dialed in pretty quick.

Bill and sparkz like this.
  21. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2013
    Kansas
    There was a learning curve with the Mustangs as those amps were much more unique when they came out. It took a while to figure out you could adjust sag and bias parameters, etc. The GTs are derived from that platform, but are supposed to be easier to tweak and edit. Fender listened and put all the basic amps in the first presets so it shouldn't take three days to find good tones. I suspect, at least for the GT40, that the software is not matched well to the stereo speakers. Fender does better with a conventional mono amplification system. Maybe Fender worried too much about wi-fi or Bluetooth and less about basic sound quality.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.