Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Fender Mustang GT Series Amps

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by pondcaster, Apr 10, 2017.

1. jakecentric

jakecentric TDPRI Member

May 17, 2017
    Michigan
    Well, after unsuccessfully trying to make a preset like one I use on my v.2 yesterday, I was pretty disappointed with the GT-200. I decided that today I would make my final decision. I created some presets from scratch and they turned out great. Even my wife was commenting on how good it sounded...something she NEVER does because, frankly, she couldn't care less. Using the app to make them was great, too.

However, now I seem to be getting a weird popping noise. It pops 4 or 5 times in fairly quick succession and different 'notes' and it seems to coincide with the app contacting the amp. Anyone experienced this?

Tomorrow night, I debut the new amp at practice...the true test.

sparkz likes this.

2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    There ya go kids. Care to guess how many experienced what you did in bold but returned thier before they experienced the underlined part of your experience? I expect this is going to be the running theme with this amp. The same thing happened with the old mustang. Every patch i have ever used on my old and new mustangs is done from scratch.

By the way, did you do the firmware update from a day or 2 ago? If that popping is the app it might fix it because it fixed app issues from a number of people. I wonder tho....would that happen if the connection with the amp wasn't good. Just a thought. I don;t need or use the app myself.

Jim Dep, jakecentric and pdcorlis like this.

3. jakecentric

jakecentric TDPRI Member

May 17, 2017
    Michigan
    That's why I asked what people thought. Nor to have my decision made for me, but to get some informed opinions. I appreciate all you've written about it. Very helpful.

Yes, I did the firmware update. I had to use and older iPhone for the app since the Android app isn't up to speed yet and I'm fairly certain that is what is causing the issue. I'll only be using the app at home so at tomorrow night's practice I'll turn Bluetooth off on the app and see if it happens. I'll report back.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I bet it is, because many people have reported the update to have fixed their tone apps completely.

Last edited: May 19, 2017

6. sparkz

sparkz TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Southern California

Did a quick specification check on the Mustang III/IV Celestion G12-100 speaker and the Celestion speakers that are in the newer GT100 and GT200. The GT100 & GT200 are reported to have Celestion model 70/80 speakers. The GT series Celestion 70/80 12" speakers are down roughly 6db in SPL at low E string on a 6 string guitar relative to A string when compared to the Celestion G12-100 Mustang III/IV Celestion speaker. This 6db difference represents a significant acoustic SPL power difference between A string and E string output in favor of Mustang III/IV when compared to GT100/200 amps.

Is it possible that this is one of the reasons that users are dissatisfied with GT100/GT200 amps?

cbh5150 and Achysklic like this.

7. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I have not experienced that with the App and Amp. However, I do get a small amount of hum and hiss when I adjust settings on the App. It's similar to the interference you get between a laptop and while you're holding your guitar.
    I'm using an iPhone but the bluetooth has been seamless. I am amazed at the sound quality streaming music, backing tracks.

8. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Hard to say but they aren't actually 70/80's according to a celestion rep i emailed. But you're close. He said they are designed specifically for fender and are a 100 watt speaker modeled after the 70/80. How if at all it's changed from those other then the wattage is hard to say. But if you look at the specs for the 70/80 the top end is not extended over typical speakers and this one appears to be. So if that's the case it's likely the low end is too. but it's all speculation because we just don't know since it's not a stock celestion model.

That said i DO believe it has a lot to do with it, because in case you never read my posts on the speaker swapping subject i did try the celestion in my MIII with the GT and it did indeed sound so different that you probably will never hear 2 guitar speakers that sound this different. It sounded very dark tho, but i intend to try it again and this time turn the global bright switch on the GT and see what that sounds like.

I think the speaker could be part of it. But it still doesn't tell all for me because i happen to think the amp sounds great with the stock speaker, and i'm quite sure i understand what other idea's of good tone is. It's possible it could sound better with some other speaker but i just think theres something else going on with it too. I think it'll just take time before we know the real general consensus which in time i believe will change. Maybe not as much as it did with the original mustang because of the original amp's better UI and many better features. But i do believe in time the genera consensus will change for several reasons, and the speaker could be one of them. Don't understand the lack of lows some talk about tho. Thats just one of a number of things i don't hear in it. Mine has as much low end as my MIII, it's just clearer sounding and maybe thats what people are mistaking for low end compared to the old amp because it sounds more like the proverbial blanket over the speaker sound compared to the GT.

I have thought of a long list of things i think may account for the negativity, all of which may contribute to one degree or another. But it's all just speculation. We'll really just have to wait and see how things evolve in time. After all, the amp only hit the sales floor a couple weeks or so ago.

9. jwoertz

jwoertz Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2016
    Telford, PA USA
    Same here. I bet you'll get called out for being an idiot like they did to me, too. I've been using a Mustang III since they week they came out. Now a Mustang III v2. Would never trade it for a GT.

My gigging rig, when not using the MIII v2 is this:

luckett and pondcaster like this.

10. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    For the record, i don;t think you're an idiot at all. But I do think there's a chance that you might have changed your mind given time because you sold it so fast theres no way you had a chance to really see what it sounds like. I've said many times already i wanted to box mine up when i first got it too. But i held out till i knew there was no hope because i have seen this happen before and indeed withing a few days or a week i was digging it more then my old MIII which now sounds rather dull and blanketed by comparison. certain aspects of tone quality are undeniable to be. for example, it feeds back at low volumes more then the III which is a good sign of sustain and the amp creating a feedback loop at lower volumes than not only the MIII but most any amp i;ve owned. And the single note fast picking.....man, nothing i have owned has the clarity for that. Each note is just so clear.

But no, you aren't an idiot at all. You just had the same instant reaction i did, but i just didn't act on it because i had 45 days to return it and saw no reason not to take advantage of that and see what i could find. Hell, i've had tube amps that took at least more time than that to get the best out of. I just think no matter how good your ear is you can never be sure of what an amp is capable of w/o spending more time than you did. It's not the first time i saw this with gear including things other then amps.

pondcaster likes this.

11. jwoertz

jwoertz Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2016
    Telford, PA USA
    I had plenty of time to put it through its paces. I had the exact same experience as Shane from InTheBlues:

12. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    I think this thread has been interesting and enlightening in identifying how some people are either completely tone deaf or clearly prefer crappy tone and expect others to like it. It reinforces the notion that you can't trust the recommendation of some people yapping on the internet. I now know who's opinion I can completely disregard when it come to audio.

jwoertz likes this.

13. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Well, you are likely referring to me based on other replies to me by you. But i assure you that you don;t know me at all by my posts and i'm not tone deaf and don't like crappy tone. I've owned a insane number of amps, have built many scrach build tube amps over the years of my own design (as much as that even possible anymore) and spent endless hours tweaking them, been playing since the early 70s and gigged with tons of gear for many years. I can't even imagine anyone who's done that being tone deaf, not to mention it's impossible to not know what is or isn't good tone nowadays with the internet. There are many reasons for the difference in opinions. I *have an idea* what some of them are, but it's not a matter of me or all the people who like the amp being tone deaf.

pondcaster and jakecentric like this.

14. jakecentric

jakecentric TDPRI Member

May 17, 2017
    Michigan
    Depending on how practice goes tonight...playing with the full band, in a rehearsal room, and getting feedback from my bandmates...I may do a side-by-side sound comparison. I'll set up the same tone (or as close as possible) and record audio of me playing the same thing on both amps. Just a crappy cell phone recording from across the room. I'll share it and let people judge for themselves.

pondcaster and pdcorlis like this.

15. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Holic

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    Seems kinda harsh. I don't really like the straight into the board tone on the Beatles' "Revolution" but I have enough sense to not extrapolate that to "Lennon, McCartney, Harrison, and George Martin have no appreciation for decent guitar tones."

16. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    So much for fender support, and if you have an intermittent issue forget about it....no warranty for you. Just got my amp back today after being told the exp1 pedal now works with it after they did the recent firmware update. I told them i wanted a new amp because i have lots of reasons to believe this has issue that aren't firmware related. They disagreed and sent my old amp back, no new one. Soon as it arrived i confirmed what i knew would happen....the pedal doesn't work still. Only now it's even more wacky and doesn't work AT ALL. before it worked somewhat, tho unusable. Now it's just a doorstop. They just don't believe me so i'm stuck with a F'd up amp. Thanks Fender. By the way, and i told them this more than a few times, the exp1 works 100% PERFECTLY with my MIII. And when i emailed them after receiving it to tell them what i knew would happen happened, they just blew me off.

Moral of the story? Fender's warranty isn't worth jack.

sparkz likes this.

17. CaptainSensible

CaptainSensible Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2008
    Leesburg, VA
    Maybe try Vox4life? ;)

18. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    You ain't kiddin ! Or how about FenderTillNow.

pondcaster likes this.

19. CaptainSensible

CaptainSensible Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2008
    Leesburg, VA
    I too am a huge Fender fan as well. I don't think you can beat their tone. Which is why I've desperately trying to find a reason to like this GT amp. It just seems that Fender should be able to do Fender better than anyone else. And I get now what they're trying to do with this speaker and setup, but I just can't embrace it.

It makes me want to go buy my their Deluxe Reverb, despite having sold two already. Now when it finally makes sense to have loudish tube amp because I have someone to jam with, I no longer have one anymore.

20. xland

xland Tele-Meister

Mar 26, 2015
    Central Illinois
    I've had my GT100 for two weeks now. I originally bought a Katana 50 after comparing them in GC but I returned the Katana, I simply just did not gel with the amp. I ended up buying the GT100 and knowing I could return it if things didn't work out I had nothing to lose.

Well, I absolutely love it. I have five presets made for myself that I really, really like. I don't play out so I don't need to switch between presets or add/remove effects on the fly.

To each there own, I know I didn't like it the first time I played through it in the store. I can understand why people are put off by it when they first play it. It sounded like there was a blanket over the speaker, it sounded dull and muffled when I first played one in the store.

But after bringing it home and taking some time to alter some of the stock presets I have certainly found tones I like a lot. I totally agree with others that finding a cabinet that suits your desired sound makes a huge difference. I start there and then make EQ, bias and sag adjustments to my liking. Rarely have I liked the tones through the stock cabinet provided in the presets.

sparkz likes this.

21. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I'm trying hard too, tho not with tone but functionality. It's definitely a firmware issue, as I just did a restore that brought it back to the base firmware and now the EXP-1 works again, flawed but like it did before. Partial functionality. With the "new and improved" firmware it was as tho the pedal wasnt even plugged in. Dead as a doornail, zero function. Only the LED's worked. Also, I could be wrong but i think it may sound better with the base firmware. The high end seems fuller less thin. Again, maybe my ears. But i can't see updating it for fear the volume function of the exp1 will fail again. Leo has gotta be turning in his grave.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.