Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Mustang GT Series Amps

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by pondcaster, Apr 10, 2017.

1. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011

Feel free to send your resume and request to re-record the video to the youtube user. I'm sure he'll get right on that for you.

Its obvious that the intent of the youtuber was not to try to EQ the two amps to sound alike in post-production, but to provide an out of the box comparison of the two amps as a typical user would experience them. And as such, he provided an excellent example of finding the tones that these two amps would produce in a real world scenario.

sparkz likes this.

2. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Tele-Meister

If nothing else, it seems like quality control is really suffering on these M-GT amps. The reviews are all over the map both by highly respected reviewers and the man on the street crowd. To have an amp preset suddenly turn sour is to say the least very troubling.

pondcaster likes this.

3. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Thank you ! I wanted to say exactly the same thing but i've apparently been demoted to fanboi here every time i see something i feel is misleading, so i didn't want to be the one to suggest this. But i knew immediately upon listening to that part where he compared the high gain sounds and kept harping on about the "filtering" sound that he's just completely cluelss in the way he went about tweaking that patch. I tried that model in mine and it was......how can i say this when words are so overused on the internet they no longer have impact.....well, the are no words, but mine sounds nothing like that. Maybe it does stock but i never play any of the models stock patches because even if they sound good none tend to reflect what i like, and i DON'T like the sound he got at all same as him. The difference is I know for a fact mine was capable of sounding far mores similar to the katana without that filtering as he keeps moaning about.

That said, a 20 wattx2 stereo amp into 6" speakers compared to a 50 watt 1x12 into a guitar speaker? really? Great comparison. And i do believe after trying my GT withe 2 guitar speakers that speakers are the #1 difference in what people are hearing in the GT compared to thier old V2's. The GT sounds much more like an improved V2 when you play it thru the V2's celestion G12-T100 instead of a very different amp. I feel fender's speaker choice is what's most responsible for the GT 100 and 200's sound being so different. I however like it, but i do think it can be better by using a different speaker. I plan to do more tests when i get mine back to try and figure out just what the truth is between the 2.

sparkz likes this.

4. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    He specifically said especially when he compared the high gain tone he was trying to adjust them to sound as close to each other as possible. Then he proceeded to adjust the 40 so that it sounds nothing like the katana and totally different than i know it's capable of. Just a ridiculous attemp at comparing them, but that aside as i mentioned above, comparing a 20 watt x2 stereo amp with 2 6" speakers to a 1x12 guitar speaker?! Then people start talking about how much better the 1x12 amp sounds? I dunno what i'm missing there but i suspect nothing. (sarcasm)

5. Gymbow

Gymbow TDPRI Member

May 14, 2017
    USA
    Is it possible for you to post a comparison video demoing both?

6. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    No, he said he can't get the Mustang to sound like the Katana and he's not going to try to get the Katana to sound like the Mustang. He never said he tried to get them to sound as close to each other as possible. He just twiddled the knobs just like your typical user would do.

You're obviously missing the placement of the two amps at a similar price point such that they are direct competitors for most consumers considering a purchase of either of the two amps. If little Johnny has saved up $250 from his lawn mowing jobs and wants to buy an amp, he can get the Katana for $50 less cash than the Mustang. Now little Johnny has an amp with a 12" speaker, better sound, and an extra $50 in his pocket.

sparkz likes this.

7. Stratatouille67

Stratatouille67 TDPRI Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Montana USA
    I had a Mustang GT and returned it 2 days after I got it. Absolute garbage IMO

pondcaster and privatesalt like this.

8. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Not missing anything about the 40 vs boss, that wasn't the point of what i said. As to his hi gain comparison... "i did a little bit of EQ tweaking to match the boss". I don't know what else that means.

pondcaster likes this.

9. Ash

Ash Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2003
    Since we're talking about digital amps with speaker cab sims, I don't think there's anything wrong with comparing a 2x6 amp to a 1x12. That 2x6 (or 8 or whatever it is) is emulating a 4x12 greenbacks Marshall cab, and then he switches it to a Twin 2x12 and a few others. People need to stop thinking about the speakers in digital modeling amps the same way they think about speakers in conventional amps. It's different. The speakers are different. The speaker cab sims completely change the tones. Hell, you can even run MP3s through the Mustang to play along to, right? Try that with your BF Deluxe.

CaptainSensible likes this.

10. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    My THR amps say hallelujah. Great tones from 3 inch speakers.

11. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    It sucks how much products like this promise to deliver and then fail to. It will be a great day when they do.

Have I mentioned how much I like Blackstar?

12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    They are two very different amps. One is a modelng amp and the other is not. One is made for "out of the box sounds, while the other requires creating a tone. What I find amusing is that he spends a few minutes doing a hasty edit and then let's it rip. It's random, shot in the dark effort. Same with Shane. In one of intheblues Mustang Monday patches, Shane spoke of it taking him several days working on the patch. He didnt take that time with The GT.
    Regardless, no one should really expect to find a vintage Plexi in either of these amp lines. It wasnt there in the v2 either. A flank steak isnt a filet mignon.
    I will stack my own "Basic Jimi" creation against a helluva lot of amps, but it's still not a Plexi (but then I'm not Jimi either)

13. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    "I will stack my own "Basic Jimi" creation against a helluva lot of amps, but it's still not a Plexi (but then I'm not Jimi either)"

That kind of honesty gets my vote every time.

ricardo1912 and sparkz like this.

14. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    You're arguing semantics. The Katana is just as much a modeling amp as the Mustang. They are both based on the same technology and create sounds in the same way. In fact, the Katana's amp choices are models of very specific real life amps, just like the Mustang. What you call it and what your expectations are with respect to tweaking it are independent of the amps themselves.

The assertion that one requires creating a tone and the other is made for "out of the box sounds" is absurd. They both start with a factory setting and and they both allow you to modify the settings. Whether you like the factory setting or not is a matter of preference, not a difference in technology or approach to creating tone with the amp.

15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    From what I can see, it's a digital four channel amp: clean, crunch, lead and "brown". That's fairly limited vs attempting to model fender, Vox, Marshall, Hiwatt and Mesa. One is plug and play IMO while the other is really not.

Regardless, the demo's of Katana on youtube are pretty meh.. it can sound just as nasal and boxy as the GT. As I stated, all of these devices have their limitations. After all, they're cheap. They don't sound like expensive modelers and never will. They are what they are. I'm not saying that Shane and the 60 cycle dude don't have legitimate points but they are not the whole story nor were either without their own bias. The entire discussion has an "Android vs iOS" vibe to it. It's subjective and, like anything, it's up to someone actually picking one up, plugging it in and having a go. Either it meets your needs and expectations or it doesn't.

Of the 109 presets on the GT, I probably liked about a dozen. IMO, they would have been better off just having baseline patches for each amp model. In my case, the amp is not close to being my primary amp. The Code or the Katana wouldn't be my primary amp either.

sparkz likes this.

16. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I tried the Katana about a month or 2 ago and i was more then just disappointed. I realize speaker break in is important but i kid you not when i say i have the mids and treble knobs on zero and it was still too bright. I can see speaker break in helping with that, but not near enough to keep the amp from being really bright. I found it literally unusable. I understand the many things that lead to some people loving a amp and others hating it. But i am really having a very hard time understanding the radical differences i hear in opinions on both amps not to mention the radical difference i hear. I don;t know that I've ever seen such divergence with any other piece of gear i can recall, It's truly strange. The only possible conclusion i can come to is at such low price points maybe each has an inordinate number of lemons in the production.

I'm no fanboi as someone said, i just know what i like. (Or maybe i AM if knowing what u like makes you a fanboi) and i think with as much experience as i have i think i know tone easily well enough to know my ears aren't deceiving me when i hear a lot of goodness coming out of my GT. And i just know that some of the more intense negativity is from people who are not likely hearing the same things i am, whatever the reason for that is. I'm tired of speculating but i know thats got to be the case.

17. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    The settings on the Katana are explicitly modeling these amps.

Clean = JC120
    Crunch = Tweed
    Lead = 5150
    Brown = Soldano

But whether you call them by the descriptive name or call them by the amp name, each channel is modeling a specific amp. Using a descriptive name for the model does not mean that it mystically becomes "plug and play". Just like using an amp name does not mean that you have go into the parameters to get a good sound. It's purely semantics and you're trying to say that a description of an amp model fundamentally changes something about how the amp operates. That's just not the case with these amps.

sparkz likes this.

18. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    This may be an important thing to note concerning tone and the GT. As i said mine started sounding horrible at one point and i sent it back to fender. (on it's way back as we speak) A member here (vas182) posted earlier in this thread how he loved the tone and it kept improving then one day sounded horrible. Exact same thing that happened to me and caused me to send mine back to fender. I told him to PM me about it and i'd tell him who to talk to at fender and he could use my name as a reference to someone with the same issue. Anyways, he PM'd me today and said he did the new firmware update and the amp now sounds great again and he;s loving it. I asked hi to post his experience so hopefully he will.

The point here is that as i have suggested earlier, it could be a lot of what people are experiencing with the GT may be degraded tone like he and I experienced. So before everyone gets worked up about the GT sounding lousy, make SURE to update to 1.1.2 that just came out a day or 2 ago.

19. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 8, 2008
    Maryland
    Is anyone able to do a comparison with the Marshall CODE amps?

20. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Bahaha, now that was funny.

sparkz likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.