Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Fender Mustang GT Series Amps

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by pondcaster, Apr 10, 2017.

1. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    I'd be interested in your opinion if you get a chance to check out a GT40. Given your experience and first hand knowledge of the GT100 and GT200 it would be nice to know if the GT40 is a gem.

2. olefudd

olefudd Tele-Meister

Sep 27, 2009
    out yonder!
    I will pass on the GT's. Sticking with my V.2.

3. jakecentric

jakecentric TDPRI Member

May 17, 2017
    Michigan
    I'm so torn on this right now. I ordered the 200 last week and have only gotten to play with it 3 times, all in my living room, with my Modern Player Tele. The first time I thought it sounded good. The second, I thought it sounded great. The third time, for some reason, it sounded worse to me. I have done virtually no tweaking yet...planning to do that tonight. I play in a 6 piece cover band with a lead guitarist who plays through a Mesa Boogie stack. I upgraded to this from the Mustang III v.2. I like the UI on the GT - I play 98% rhythm guitar and once I get my tones set up I don't make any changes on the fly. As of now, we don't mic my amp or plug in to the PA. I felt that getting a bigger amp would help me compete with the lead guitarists huge setup, but I'm sure I could do that with the Mustang III too. I won't get to play with the band until Friday night. Gig-wise, we play a lot of outdoor shows.

Guess I'm just looking for some thoughts from those of you in the know. Keep the GT? Return it and change the way I use the III v.2?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Ohio
    It's your call but the for what the gt200 cost I would get a good tube amp, or buy a nice guitar. I truest believe themustang 3 v2 will and is a lot better amp.

jakecentric likes this.

6. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    If your goal is to have a bigger amp than the other guy, then yeah, you need a bigger amp.

Is mic'ing or plugging in to the PA not an option or something you have just not tried yet. It's very easy to come out of the back of the MIIIv.2 and into a channel on the board.

jakecentric likes this.

7. jakecentric

jakecentric TDPRI Member

May 17, 2017
    Michigan
    I don't need to have a bigger amp, but I need to be at least equal at times.

Mic or PA is an option...just haven't gone there yet. I'm the new guy in the band and no one else plays through the PA or mics and I think they are concerned about how that will sound. So, your opinion is to mic or plug into PA with the IIIv.2 and send the GT back? Again, just seeing what people have to say.

8. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    You have the amp and you're able to hear it and evaluate it yourself. Why do you want some random people on the internet to tell you whether to keep it or get rid of it?

9. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Asking the band to consider allowing you to try micing/plugging is at least not an outrageous request. If you played a festival, civic event, etc. with a sound company hired that is likely what they would do with your amp.

I say try both! Do you have some sort of return time window on the GT like 30 days or something?

10. olefudd

olefudd Tele-Meister

Sep 27, 2009
    out yonder!
    If you're having doubts about the amp I would return it and get a amp stand for the V.2 and give that a try. I don't keep any gear if I don't fall in love with it right out of the box. But that's just me.

11. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Thats sounds exactly like what happened to me. I was liking mine more and more then one day i plug in and it sounded like crap. It sounded ratty like a bad distortion box. Not to a HUGE degree but enough that i knew it couldn't be my ears or some fluke like that. Later in the day i tried it and it sounded fine again. Then it happened a second time the next day and this time i tried making a exact duplicate of my main patch that was sounding bad in a different slot. It sounded fine and i switched back and fourth between the 2 and with the same settings the one sounded bad and the other great as usual. They patches were about 6 slots apart so i decided to make yet another duplicate right next to the main one and it too sounded fine while the main one in #1 sounded bad still. So i called fender and because of that and a couple other issues i was having they asked me to send it back for evaluation. I don't know if they will send me a new one or just send me mine back but i wonder if that is your issue. try what i didn't and also try updating the firmware because a new version just came out.

I wonder if this could be a common issue that might account for some of the negative reactions, because when mine sounded good it really sounded notably better then my MIII.

12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I feel kind of bad for the GT100 an GT200 folks. Plainly the prevailing opinion is that they have serious drawbacks for their purpose. I have to say that I'm surprised that so many gig with the Mustang. I don't think I've ever seen a band using one.
    I have no illusions about my little GT40. It's about what I expected. Some of the patches and amp models sound boxy to me while other sound very, very good. The deep editing features have helped me create a few good tones.
    I didn't need another loud amp so this fits perfectly.
    So, as my final post in this thread I will just say, don't discount the GT40 if you are looking for a practice amp with a load of convenient features. I use iOS and I really like the convenience of the App for editing and navigation. My only caveat is that beyond a few very good stock presets, it will take some patience to dial in specific tones. Changing the speaker cab helps eliminate some of the box characteristics.

sparkz and pondcaster like this.

13. Ryan Aditantra

Ryan Aditantra TDPRI Member

May 15, 2017
    Jakarta
    I don't know but my personal opinion, as I play only on clean channel and use stompbox pedal (OD, delay, wah), digital and futuristic amplifier for guitar is just like eliminating the art and the feel for playing guitar and creating sound (especially telecaster). IMO, telecaster is just as it is. Classic, dry, bluesy, twangy, that's all. But IDK, maybe I am way too oldschool. I don't event use digital pedals, then I can't imagine digital amp. LOLs.

14. sparkz

sparkz TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Southern California
    Thanks for the advice on wifi update for GT40

Glitches are now gone and GT40 sounds great on all amps and effects. Very happy with this incredibly versatile amp.

Much improved over Mustang III V2

15. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Sure, but just relaying the info. And i think so too. (much improved) But i'll be damned if i can figure how opinions go from one extreme to another. I'm really starting to think the firmware updates are the key because i think fender has mine working right now with the recent update. I talked to them yesterday and it apparently fixed the issues i had that weren't tone related and i think that may also have been what cause that too. As some has suggested, i think fender released it a bit too early. Tho on the other hand if they didn't use us as guinia pigs it might have taken years for a few to find all the bugs that the consumers found in just days due to the high number of "testers".

sparkz likes this.

16. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    No contest. The Mustang GT sounds like you're listening to it thru a piece of PVC pipe.

17. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    What?

Gt sounded so much bigger, deeper than boss, at least to my ears. Thin and very digital. Both high gains sounded awful the way he was playing. Like how he gave a shout out to F4L on the 4x12gb.

Realizing that these clips are hard to hear definition so I tried it through nicer speakers. These comparisons are kinda a joke unless done in appropriate settings, right.

I'll be down in town this weekend, gonna play a k50 if they have one to see for myself.

18. The dman

The dman TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    That sounds awful and there's no way the GT100 I have sounds that bad. It's like he picked the worse possible sounds to showcase the amp.

pondcaster likes this.

19. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011

The 412GB sounds like a blanket was thrown over over the amp when compared the Katana. It has been claimed that it is the best cab sim tone you can get out the Mustang GT. It makes it sound like the amp is in the next room. It's embarrassingly bad.

20. sparkz

sparkz TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Southern California
    Sorry, hate to be critical of your hard work in setting up and recording a video test but it is an inaccurate and misleading video test. People want to hear fair and unbiased comparisons that help them decide how to spend their money wisely.

For reference
    I'm a professional highly credentialed and experienced audio and video engineer that owns both Katana 50 and Mustang GT40. They are easily eq'd to sound virtually identical. Both are great amps.

Request in the interest of fair play that you redo and replace your video test with the goal of tone matching rather than emphasizing eq differences.

After updating to latest firmware in both amps I'm frankly impressed by the tonal sound quality and "player feel" achievable by both amps.

It seems from comments on this thread that the GT40 is the best sounding of the new GT amp line. Could be the 12" speakers used in the 100 and 200 are not a great choice by Fender. The earlier Mustang III and IV had a fantastic 12" speaker by comparison.

pondcaster likes this.

21. sparkz

sparkz TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Southern California
    It may not be so puzzling when considering that these amps are pure software running on advanced DSPs. As we know, Firmware is merely the technical term for embedded software like the OS on a smart phone, tablet or computer. This is the reason that different firmware versions create such widely different reactions....plus we all hear the same sounds differently. So the field of psychoacoustics plays a part.

It's an interesting transition that we've experienced from discrete component tube amps to all software based modeling amps. In tube amps circuit design, topology, and discrete component selection all contribute to create individual sound quality, voicing, and feel. This is why tube amps by different manufacturers have such distinctive sounds like Fender, Marshall, Vox, dr z, Mesa, etc. With these new modeling amps Sound, voicing, and feel is almost entirely determined by the lines of code or firmware and much less on choice of supporting discrete components. The one exception with these software modeling amps is in speaker selection where a bad speaker choice can ruin the sound of the best modeling amp.

Last edited: May 18, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.