Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Mustang and pedals?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by JG806, Jan 7, 2014.

1. JG806

JG806 Tele-Holic

Oct 6, 2008
    Amarillo TX
    I spent another hour or so with MIII v.1 last night. I was able to get some dirt that I liked. It helped to adjust the modeled cabinets along with sag & bias. There are some fat creamy tones in there. I'm liking the '57 Deluxe and the 65 DR the best. The 57 Deluxe can get a fat almost fuzz tone when you turn the gain up. I also messed with the built in fuzz box and thought the sounds where pretty darn good. I really want to give this a run in a band rehearsal. I know one thing for sure. This amp is really fun! For practice and playing it at home I love it. We'll see if it can do what I want/need with a band.

2. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Instead of boosting the gain in the front end, try using the effects loop. I might not hook it up that way with an OD pedal through my former tube amp that had an effects loop, but it seems to work well on the Mustang.

Maybe it depends on the pedal, but try both ways. The Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic is a tube pre amp pedal that gives you two addition channels for overdrive to a metal distortion (use the bypass for clean) works great with the Mustang, possibly even a little better smoother through the effects loop but it's almost too close to tell.

Overall, it's a killer tone for classic and hard rock,....gets the early Van Halen tone pretty well when matching tones with the song " Feel your love tonight", for example...using a strat.

Another option:

Try keeping the "Volume" and "Gain" down on amp, and use the gain from the pedal along with your amps Master volume. That gives a different performance too that I kinda like. Best to experiments with different hookups and try different uses of all the volume controls available to see which one works best for that pedal.

Maybe one of us wants to start a thread about pedals that either work or don't work with the Mustangs. I bet at least a couple here might find it useful. Somebody who owns the same pedal might have some good ideas to share.

3. captainc

captainc Tele-Meister

May 22, 2013
    PA
    I have a Mustang II v.2 and use a RAT2 and OCD clone on the front end and it works swimmingly. Especially with the 65 Deluxe model. I tried a fuzz face mini but i had a little trouble with it. Got very boomy so so had to adjust any preset used with it to accomodate so wasn't very practical. I did love that pedal though. Would love to get a Fuzz Face type pedal that works well with the Mustang.

4. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I've got a Digitech "Jimi Hendrix Experience" modeling pedal that has a Fuzz Face effect in a few of the settings. I had this pedal for a couple years before getting the Mustang III. The JHE pedal works well for me besides just Hendrix stuff. The pedals' presets for "The Wind Cries Mary" and "Little Wing" sounds great for lots of songs and styles, same with the Fuzz Face and Uni Vibe effects.

The way I used to use this pedal was to hook it up in stereo between a 2x12 Marshall combo and a Peavey Delta Blues. To my ears, the effects were incredible, from silky smooth all the way to nasty distortion. With this pedal, I need to keep the gain way down, so as not to run too hot into the guitar amps.

After selling the Marshall and Peavey amps, I had my doubts about how well the Hendrix pedal would work with a modeling amp.

It turned out not to be an issue and I didn't have to change any of the settings on the pedal.
    After experimenting with a few amp models, this pedal works the best, IMO, with the Fender 59 Bassman model. I use the Bassman completely dry, no effects, keeping the volume and gain down. Using the volume (not the gain) from the pedal along the Mustang's master volume works out really well.

I use the Digitech JHE pedal now hooked up the same way in stereo using the Mustang III and an 1960's Beltone 1x12 tube combo. I adjust the Beltone's volume to keep a good balance between that and the Mustang ...it sounds really good.:)

Again, it surprised me that I didn't have to make any adjustments on the pedal's effects, just a couple minor changes with the pedals onboard EQ settings.

So.....if I want a convincing Hendrix type of sound with a Fuzz Face, this is one solution that works well for me, along with using a Strat. I haven't tried this with Humbuckers, but I imagine that I'd have to roll of the volume on the guitar, due to the hotter pickups.

5. Acmebatmansuit

Acmebatmansuit TDPRI Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Centennial, CO
    I've just uploaded my first preset, using Fuse and my Mustang II, V2. It's called Marshall JTM-45. Just look for Acmebatmansuit. Let me know what you think.

6. arrowspace90

arrowspace90 TDPRI Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Dallas
    Since I am not a tech nerd, I rely on this guy for advice, and also for his presets. His preset for the EC Tremolux is one of my favorite sounds on the Mustang III.

7. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Taking a clean boost pedal to drive a OD tone even harder is the one thing this amp doesn't do really well. Unfortunately for me, thats always been a prerequisite for me with any tube amp. Fortunately for me it DOES work ok, well enough so i can use it, but not nearly as well as i had hoped. But not a big deal because i can use the OD on my tube screamer a bit rather than how i usually do it with a tube amp, which is volume all the way and OD all the way off. Now i just turn the volume back down to just a little more than unity and the distortion knob up just a little and that works fairly well. The amp is so dynamic with the guitar volume knob anyways that there less need of a clean boost for hyper OD. I can set it so it's pretty darn clean at 4 and at 10 theres enough OD that i can actually get away w/o a boost, so i only need a small amount now. So it's fine. Thats 1 of only 2 issues i gave with the amp as far as tone goes tho. The other is it would be incredible to have a global tone like the global master. I find at low home volumes it sounds very different than once you get to 3 or so on the master. Then it gets a lot brighter. A tone that allows you to soften that as you turn up would be awesome because you obviously can't adjust the tone on all your patches every time you play at a lower or higher volume. I tried a EQ in the loop but it seems to affect the tone negatively. I may just put a tone control like in a guitar in a box and use that in the loop and make it a no load pot. Might work better.

8. JolamIII

JolamIII TDPRI Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Malaysia
    Hey!

I have a Fender Mustang I and a Squire Avril Lavigne tele. I'm just a hobbyist. I was wondering whether I could connect pedals to my amp. I still don't understand what'd effects loop and that stuffs. How am I supposed to connect pedals to my amp?

9. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon

For compressor and overdrive type pedals you can just plug your guitar into the pedals and out of the pedals to the input of the amp.

You shouldn't need to use the effects loop unless you're going to use modulation type pedals (tremolo, delay).

You can Google "amplifier effects loop" and find some good discussions on the topic.

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

10. JolamIII

JolamIII TDPRI Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Malaysia

Yes I'm planning to use a flashback. However, the Mustang I does not have an effects loop as far as I'm concerned. Advice?

11. Telepathist

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon

It looks like the Flashback is connected through an effects loop. You'd have to move up to a Mustang III for that capability.
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1416112608.189229.jpg

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

12. JolamIII

JolamIII TDPRI Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Malaysia
    Even with a normal flashback? And that means the flashback won't work if I plug it straight into the amp?

13. Telepathist

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon

I don't know. Maybe someone who has that pedal can answer.

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

14. JolamIII

JolamIII TDPRI Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Malaysia
    Alright. Thanks for your help. :) any suggestions for good reverb pedals for ambient? I'm playing for church. :)

15. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

Dec 30, 2013
    Sooke, BC

Why can't you use the built in reverb effect?

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

16. JolamIII

JolamIII TDPRI Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Malaysia
    Because if I put it in thus chain :

Reverb ---> OD ---> Behringer Super Metal ---> Flashback , it'll sound messy for sure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.