Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Mustang and pedals?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by JG806, Jan 7, 2014.

1. JG806

JG806 Tele-Holic

Oct 6, 2008
    Amarillo TX
    How do the Mustangs take pedals. Particularly interested from those who gig with these amps and a pedal board.

2. Noclue

Noclue TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Germany
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014

3. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    +1.....I just posted his new gear rundown on the Amp Central Station forum.

I don't gig anymore but I've been around long enough to know if an amp is going to have probs with pedals at gigging volume. Using the basic amp models on the Mustang and keeping the gain down, you shouldn't have any problems, unless it's a weird pedal....(lack of better words). The Mustang I or II, I don't know, but I suspect they'd be fine at home practice volumes. Maybe somebody who actually owns a Mustang I or II can chime in.

4. iluvchiclets

iluvchiclets Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2012
    Ontario
    Funny you should mention this topic,

My latest amp is the Mustang V (V1). I have been playing it exclusively for the past two weeks. I have not gigged with it, but I do enjoy playing at deafening volumes when the family is away.

I have heard the term "does not take pedals well" many times on this forum, and I never quite understood it. What does that mean!? I would wonder...
    Well, now that I have this amp I understand the term. When I plug my Sansamp GT2 into the front end of the Mustang (set to clean amp) I get the strangest, spitty-fuzzy tone. Also when I use my Boss ME-25.

I realize these are both modeling pedals in some degree, but I do not have that problem with any other amp I have owned. I am under the impression the Mustang is very sensitive to input levels...perhaps that is the problem? It certainly behaves differently than any other amp I have used.

5. iluvchiclets

iluvchiclets Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2012
    Ontario
    After writing the post above, it got me thinking about the amp so I just played around with it for an hour.

My Zoom MS-50G didn't sound bad at all when I ran it into the front of the amp. I had to keep the level low, to match the level of the guitar itself going into the front. But I just a had a great time using the amp and overdrive models on the Zoom.

I have set up 3 patches on the Mustang I call "Clean", each one with slight variations on the cabs or tone controls.

I think the amp is sensitive to pedals, but if you are careful with the levels they should work alright. Would be interested to hear other reader's experiences.

6. songofthewind

songofthewind Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2008
    UK
    I had a Mustang III for a while. I like the Twin Reverb style model very much. It took my pedals (Zendrive clone, Wampler Ecstasy, Tech21 Double Drive, TC Electronic Flashback) very well.

7. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Meister

I had the mustang 3 for a while (meantime the mustang floor). It took pedals OK, but not very well I would
    say. I always found that building drive sounds with the amp models delivered much better tones. For me a good tube amp tooks pedals much better than the mustang. It's not a question of the price of the tube amp, also the cheaper ones like a Jr. Pro are much better in taking pedals. I think modeling amps are not built for this way.

8. Allan66

Allan66 TDPRI Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Liverpool
    I gig with a Mustang 111 v2 and I use a Boss Chorus and Blues driver which sound great for me the Mustang takes pedals really well.

9. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I have been using a Mustang (V2) III on a few gigs with my pedal board.
    I find that if you go to the end of the presets all of the amp models are
    there clean of any effects. I always open the amp and turn off the gain on
    the first volume.
    I use mainly the 57 deluxe or the 65 deluxe but sometimes the 60's Brit.
    With using the amp alone, without any other presets provided, I can dial in
    a really clean and pure fender tone.
    These amps take pedals really well, but again, you need to clear everything
    out of the chain and substitute your own pedals.

10. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    +1

This is exactly my experience with the Mustang III, word for word, the only difference being that the foundation amps I use most are the Twin, the Princeton (with a 2x12 cab), VOX and the Bassman.

I've had good success using the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic pedal for overdrive. I kill the gain on the amp models, especially on the Fender Super Sonic and Mesa model and get a very fat, sustaining lead tone. Sometimes I'll use that with the onboard compressor to use as an additional boost.

When using external pedals, I use the name of the pedal(s) as part of the preset name....and then include my settings in the Memo for easy access.
    It just helps keep the presets more organized.

11. JG806

JG806 Tele-Holic

Oct 6, 2008
    Amarillo TX
    Well I spent a few minutes with a Mustang III and ran my pedal board through it. It was very different than my Classic 30. Didn't have a chance to tweak much. I did really like the sound of the Mustang. Very lively and natural sounding. Good tones for sure. I'll get another chance this week to mess with it.

Edit - I didn't really clarify how the M3 "took" pedals. Again I didn't spend alot of time tweaking amp and pedals but I'd say not as well as my CL 30. That being said I think OD tones on the M3 are really good and would eliminate the need for most of my OD pedals.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014

12. intheblues

intheblues TDPRI Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi guys,

I found the amp takes pedals that color the sound better than ones that boost your signal. What I mean by that is a Ibanez Tubescreamer really changes the tone of a clean signal and it sort of adds it own sound on top of the amp. These are the sort of ones that work better than volume boost pedals which are trying to push the front end/tubes harder on an amp. My Klon KTR for example, doesn't sound at all usable on the Mustang but the TS9 type pedals sound great. That said, it's nothing I couldn't get the amp models to do.

Using the Mustang and the 4 button foot-switch is my suggestion. All the delays and overdrive tones are pretty cool even for an ex-tube/pedal snob like myself. :lol:

Check this out if you're interested - it's an overdrive vs the on-board overdrive effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFx7DH5s75o

brbadg and chbjamesg like this.

13. TeleShredder

TeleShredder Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2012
    canada
    I never used my bored with my MIII V.1 much beside tonight, but I find it takes to pedals good. Like already stated you got to keep the gain low on the model when using stompboxes for dirt. id say ill keep my bored hooked to the mustang for a bit. I like the 65'tiwn model with the gain around 3.5-4 using a Boss DS-1 and a Ibanez FZ-7 fuzz. I also got an DOD EQ and a Visual Sound H2O connected

14. kend

kend Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2014
    Vancouver
    Thanks again Shane. Looking forward to the new presets.
    Your latest A/B vid is a good one too... I'm pretty sure I know which is which, and it makes me love the Mustang more!

15. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Meister

That´s what modeling amps are made for, using their own amp models and stompboxes. I also think that they work much better with the built in possibilities than external stompboxes.

16. JG806

JG806 Tele-Holic

Oct 6, 2008
    Amarillo TX
    I spent some more time with a friend's M3 v1 last night. The cleanish and low gain sounds are excellent! My concern is with med/higher gain sounds. They are OK but not near as good as the low gain tones. I didn't run any pedals this time. I was just focusing on what the amp had to offer. I'll try some OD pedals again on a clean amp model. If I can get near the quality of the lower gain tones then this amp is a slam dunk for me.
    For reference, I'm looking to get anywhere from Billy Gibbons-ish tone to maybe Slash-esque

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

17. wstarkel

wstarkel Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2012
    Norcross, GA
    I'm thinking about making a Mustang my next amp choice. I'm curious about how they handle fuzz boxes, though. I've got a fuzz face and a muff that I really enjoy. Maybe if they are used to "color" the tone as opposed to "pushing" the tone, as Shane said, I'll get a good response.

TeleShredder, I saw that you like the Ibanez FZ-7 in front of yours. I'm not familiar with that box. Is it modeled after or sound like one of the "classic" fuzz boxes? Do you have experience with any other fuzzes and a Mustang amp?

Anyone else?

18. TeleShredder

TeleShredder Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2012
    canada
    I never played any other fuzz on the mustang but the Ibanez works good i don't see why you would have a problem with the fuzz face or muff

19. JG806

JG806 Tele-Holic

Oct 6, 2008
    Amarillo TX
    Yea, I get what you're saying. The v.1 only has 1 OD available other than the amp model gain. The v.2 has 4 or 5 more dirt "stomp boxes" available. That may make it easier to get what you need out of just the amp.

20. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Meister

It's a little bit tricky to get a good rocking sound. I use the supersonic model, where you have to play with the two gain knobs and the middle knob. But I agree that it's perfect for the low gain thing. Another good way for a creamy gain sound was to crank up the 65 dr model and push it with the internal overdrive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.