Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Marketing....

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by olie, Aug 5, 2016.

1. olie

olie TDPRI Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Picton,Ont. Canada
    Was in a Long and McQuade store yesterday and saw a thinline Fender for + or - $500 Can. Wondered what was going on and saw "Made in China" on the back of the headstock. It seems to me that Fender/Squier is playing every angle known to humanity these days You've got Fender -made in America for the uber-patriotic who would NEVER buy anything but U.S.A. and there are the more practical (and frugal) who can't afford most Fender products but have to have Fender on the headstock 'cause Squier just ain't right for their sense of prestige. So Fender cranks out whatever us dweebs want just to cover all the bases! So you've got MIM guitars made in Mexico by Mexicans and you've got MIA axes made in America (by Mexicans) and you've got Squiers and Fenders made in China by Chinese, I would presume, and a merry old marketing miasma we are left to ponder. I guess it's free enterprise at it's finest but, I have to wonder ;at what point has Fender painted itself into a corner and destroyed it's vaunted name started by Saint Leo of Fender? They're not the only ones-look no farther than Gibson. The whole Factories With No Nationality thing is chewing us up and spitting us out.Someday we'll be buying everything from Wile E. Coyote's favorite company-Acme!

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I like it.

When I took up guitar, the cheap instruments were POS. Chinese guitars can be great value for money.

3. notme

notme TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    Are you sure it wasnt Fender by squier on the headstock?

4. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Australia
    I've noticed the Chinese made getting more expensive, could be currency movements but the mic stuff was always below $500au, now they're between $800-$1000.

5. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    Its pretty pointless owning a business where most of its potential customers cant afford to buy their products so Squier ,MIC ,MIM ,MIJ etc fill a sales price point to su it all .one guy on a forum berated Fender and told us he would rather save up for a few months and buy a US made product .In some parts of the world and even the USA it entails years of saving ..Better to get them playing young and keep them lusting for a US model .Few drivers if any started with a Rolls Royce .

6. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Fender like all of the current corp giants, exploit cheap labour to satcherate the market, I lost track of which are the money guitars, Amer, Strats , Teles, Gibsons etc. now I look for the players, guitars,I can play with the least amount of BS history attached to them,( ive already got on my soap box about the crap QC from the big companies ) so i've consignred my self to look at the best playable guitars instead of the most expensive unplayable guitars, each instrument has to be looked at on its own merits. ( i could not believe the 3500.00 gibson les paul new out of the box US made with a glide on GIBSON mop decal on the headstock ) it saddened me to no end.

Chicago Matt likes this.

7. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Seems to me that the guitar olie saw in L&M was a Fender Modern Player Thinline Deluxe. I've got one and it's very good indeed. Do a search and you'll find a couple of threads about them.

But the point is that I, as a non-American, couldn't give a flying fumble about supporting US manufacturers. Besides, even if FMIC is sourcing manufacture from the Far East, the profits accruing from their sales still go into the company's coffers and the taxes paid on them still go into the US economy. Fender's US employees and those of the US businesses dealing in Fender products are also earning wages, which they spend in their local community, and pay State and Federal taxes too. So buyers are still contributing to the national wealth even if the goods themselves come from outside the country.

Something that I find strange, however, is the attitude of some people who seem to think that they owe Fender some kind of loyalty. Eh? Do they think that Fender is doing them some kind of favour by graciously allowing them the privilege of having a Fender guitar and/or amp? First of all, Fender as an independent business ceased to exist over fifty years ago and even then their perfectly reasonable commercial motivation was profit. Since then the company has changed hands but, even more now than ever before, all it's concerned with is the bottom line. That's why it promotes all the spurious "lifestyle" nonsense in much the same way as Harley-Davidson. The only reason Fender got into outsourcing production was that it couldn't match the competition, so if it couldn't beat 'em, it might as well join 'em. I can't see any good reason - or indeed any reason at all - to feel beholden to a faceless commercial entity that wants only your money and as much of it as you can be persuaded to part with.

As it happens I own six Telecasters, half of which are Fender-branded with a fourth being a Squier CV. Only one is American-made, an AV62RI; it's unsurprisingly the most expensive of them and it's probably the one I like the least.

When it comes to instruments and equipment I'll buy whatever seems like the best deal for me wherever it comes from and if it hasn't got Fender on it, so bloody what? In fact I've occasionally almost made a point of it so as not to be perceived as a sheep-like fashion victim such as I believe some Fender buyers may be.

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Yep, it's a Modern Player Thinline Deluxe and I've owned one as well. These debates get more and more ridiculous as times goes by since we all know that Fender AND Gibson both have lines that are made in China and/or elsewhere in the far east.

Isn't it about time we just closed our eyes and played the damn guitar before looking at the label to see where it was made. I can understand some wanting to support American companies only but as Tony points out isn't that where the money ends up going anyway? Fender and Gibson aren't owned by the Chinese.

Those who choose to overlook any non-US made product will be eliminating an awful lot of high value items from their shopping lists but I guess that's OK because it's not my money they're spending. I choose to spend my differently.

9. olie

olie TDPRI Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Picton,Ont. Canada
    I'm grateful for some very thoughtful replies that lead me to believe that I'm not the sole voice in the wilderness. To Tony, I say that your analogy compring Fender / Gibson to Harley Davidson is spot-on. The people who drive the initiative in all " Scams-R-Us" departments of the large multi-nationals need to be revealed for what they are. Only we the consumers can sway their thinking,by voting with our wallets Just wanted to see who was not part of the herd out there. Thanks for the feedback.

xafinity, Tony474 and soulman969 like this.

10. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    For years now I get a kick out of reading China bashing posts. They are being typed on made in China computers while the poster is keeping one eye on ESPN on his made in China big screen. Tomorrow he will go to the soccer game in his American branded car made in Canada or Mexico or Japan equipped with 1000s of $ of Chinese made components and electronics. That's classic.

BorderRadio, Obsessed, claes and 8 others like this.

11. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

[​IMG]

12. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin Staff Member Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Near TELE-Town (Wash. DC)
    Admin Post
    Moderator's Note: You want to bash Chinese made instruments? That's gear, have at it. You want to bash China? That's politics, and it's prohibited here. Thanks in advance for your cooperation. CS

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    BorderRadio, Obsessed and Stingfan73 like this.

13. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    It's interesting. Leo's guitars were frankly designed and made to minimize the need for skilled labor. Compared to Gibson , for example, Leo's designs depended far more on industrial processes and machinery and much less on skill. That was the goal anyway: industrializing instrument production. Tadeo Gomez didn't get hired at Fullerton because he was a skilled craftsman. Once you go down that road what difference does it matter who made it?

I did the Martin factory tour not long ago and it was very interesting to see how much hand wrk was still involved and how much of what you might call daily exercise skill rather than fussy I'm an artist skill. I watched a woman shaving braces with a chisel and she was fast and good.

Compared even to the Martin factory--which is very modern and uses lots of slick specialized machines--fender was early on trying to take human skill out of the equation. To a really remarkable exten he succeeded.

BorderRadio, Tony474 and soulman969 like this.

14. olie

olie TDPRI Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Picton,Ont. Canada
    After reading some replies I've come to think that what I was trying to say slid on by. It was the focus of the marketing to capture each and every slice of the dollars out there looking for a guitar. So the manufacturers have left no stone unturned to sell local, imported, low-end, high-end and anything else they can think of. They know all the demographics and try to keep all the money in their own cash registers. Eventually one has to wonder what the brand(s) is all about. But I have to admit that the choices are overwhelming.Marketing meetings must be wild!

15. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Well the thing about production is that it doesn't cost more than about $2000 more to make a corvette than a
    Sonic.
    But the vette costs , I dunno , bout $25,000 more.
    This is what Fender did.
    All these price points to keep dentists happy, I guess.
    But, truth be known, there really isn't much need for all these models and price points.
    Make a 52 Tele in two colours.
    A 60's version in four colours.
    A thineline with two different pickup options.
    A modern in six colours.
    The custom shop for everything else.
    Instead, there are like 16 variations, at least three points of origin, constant discontinuations and 'new' Ha,
    models, and 8 different price structures.
    Some fourty odd 'different' models.
    b.s.
    It still does not cost more than a few quid to make the top of the line $5000. Tele vrs the cheapest American version offered.
    Nothing's really $3000 better, either.
    That's boasting rights .
    I can't even see giging a guitar over two grand.
    Seriously.

Quite!
    I thought I heard quilted maple sustaining...

Tony474 likes this.

16. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Note.
    I did not reference a Kia Rondo!

17. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2016
    Alabama
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are my three favorite guitars, and best players.

The gold Strat is a MIA Standard, The white Strat is a Squier Classic Vibe, The Tele is a Squier Vintage Modified Custom.

The MIA is probably my #1, because I just love its feel and sound, but it's not perfect by any means. The Squiers are excellent players, and stand up to any other guitars favorably IMHO. They are as good as any I have ever owned.

There are excellent guitars in all of FMIC's price ranges. I got over labels years ago.

BorderRadio likes this.

18. Kojer

Kojer Tele-Meister

Sep 11, 2015
    Manila, PH
    We should stop this ridiculous non-sense and just buy what we want or what we can afford, be it a MIA, MIJ, MIC or whatever.

I also agree to the comment above that cheap guitars nowadays is a whole lot better than the stuff that was available to us back then.

And yes, it is just "competitive" marketing. Money drives the world! :(

19. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    If you aren't running a company based on niche marketing and sales that's what you do. No sense leaving money on the table.

20. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    @notme it could be the modern player serie
    Isn't it the same as any other business? To make money by providing a product or service? If you believe it is anything more, you're romanticizing things and/or their Marketing has worked.

BorderRadio and Tony474 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.